Injury Ratugolea - Broken Ankle - Tibia + Fibula (VFL RETURN 25 AUGUST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the senior cats season is over would he even be eligible for VFL finals?

Regardless of what happens with our senior season, I believe he will need to play one of our next 2 matches to be eligible to play VFL finals - these are the basic rules that I found on an Essendon message board (they are from last year, but haven't seen anything to suggest they have changed & the rules get a lot more complicated if you want to read each clause):

Basic rules:
  • play 13 AFL games or 0 VFL games, you’re out
  • if you play an AFL game after July 1, you must have played 6 VFL games to remain eligible

Regardless of what happens with our senior season, I believe he will need to play one of our next 2 matches to be eligible to play VFL finals - these are the basic rules that I found on an Essendon message board (they are from last year, but haven't seen anything to suggest they have changed & the rules get a lot more complicated if you want to read each clause):

Basic rules:
  • if you play an AFL game after July 1, you must have played 6 VFL games to remain eligible
You're right, it is complicated.
But it's open slather on a weekend where both your AFL and VFL sides are playing, and sometimes even when your AFL side is not playing, eg on the AFL Bye weekend, and/or on its "rest" weekend between the QF and PF.

Basic rules:

Here is the last clause in the VFL final eligibility rules

(h) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, the CEO of AFL Victoria (or nominee) may deem any Player eligible to play in any VFL Finals Series Match.

Looks like the Box Hill Hawks will have a full squad to pick from at any time. Only cost a coffee and smashed avo or two. Just sayin.

No way he plays VFL next week, unless AFL results go our way this week.

If it does....

Reckon last throw at stumps for Geelong for this year will be playing Hawkins, Ratugolea and Henry all forward. The latter two provide more tackles than our dire small forwards (in Henry’s case better crumber too) anyway.

Could unsettle a few teams, given the athleticism of the younger two.

Last edited:
Here is the last clause in the VFL final eligibility rules

(h) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, the CEO of AFL Victoria (or nominee) may deem any Player eligible to play in any VFL Finals Series Match.

Looks like the Box Hill Hawks will have a full squad to pick from at any time. Only cost a coffee and smashed avo or two. Just sayin.

You mean just like this back in 2014...

After almost three months out recovering from a hamstring tear, Rioli made his return in the VFL grand final on Sunday for the Box Hill Hawks...
...In the first VFL game of his seven-year AFL career, the Hawthorn matchwinner gathered 10 disposals, three clearances, three tackles and three marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way he plays VFL next week, unless AFL results go our way this week.

If it does....

Reckon last throw at stumps for Geelong for this year will be playing Hawkins, Ratugolea and Henry all forward. The latter two provide more tackles than our dire small forwards (in Henry’s case better crumber too) anyway.

Could unsettle a few teams, given the athleticism of the younger two.

If Menzel goes I'd like to see those three in the forward line next year.

Breaking down at half forward has been our issue forever.

Henry could play that Tom Lynch (crows)/Mitch McGovern sort of role we just haven't had anyone to play.

Henry could play that Tom Lynch (crows)/Mitch McGovern sort of role we just haven't had anyone to play.

Is that anything like that 'lead up Cameron Mooney role' we were crying out for back in 2011?

Very costly, that. Some pundits thought we could have won the flag that year if not for that glaring deficiency in our team...

:cool:

Ahh the Rat
I reckon we just play bigs forward.
Our smalls are so unavailable we need to change it up
HF Crameri Hawkins Henry
F Menzel Ratagolea Taylor

Bank on a few marks in the F50

Next year we put Kelly and Cockatoo on the wings and let them work with Duncan Ablett running the ball into our marking wall.
If Danger bombs it, we have more chance of a grab.
If smaller defenders get in the way, walk on them and run through them in the marking contest.
If we sustain an injury, Stanley comes into the mix.
Plugger is there too

When we change things up, do the Scotty paddock with the Rat alone in the F50

Astbury or Rance would have bricks in their straps. If they put them both down there to mind him, bring Cocky into the mix up forward.
Excited already

I'd still like to see him up the front with Hawk pushed to CHF.
Id like to see him get thru 1/2 a vfl game with no issues and pull up fine first.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back