Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

As I have noticed a few posters posting about old games on Fox, it is probably worth reminding everyone of the best podcast series I have heard on AFL - 'The Greatest Season That Was:93'. Episode 4 is called "Sydney: Saving the Swans", but episode 5 about the draft shenanigans with Buckley and Brisbane is absolute gold.

The series mentions a lot about how players were paid (!!!) or recruited, what went on in the clubs, etc. If you are into podcasts then 'do yourself a favour'. You can thank me later ;)

Enough said this week! Great to see!
b491afe4d8c39903b4ca802fb8b77971.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone noticed but in Horses comments about the SCG crowds he said the next 2 home games are also heading towards sell outs.

If you don't have your tickets now for the Carlton & Cats games then I strongly suggest you get thee hence and don't leave it to the last minute.

If we get another 2x40k crowds the club are going to be ecstatic.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed but in Horses comments about the SCG crowds he said the next 2 home games are also heading towards sell outs.

If you don't have your tickets now for the Carlton & Cats games then I strongly suggest you get thee hence and don't leave it to the last minute.

If we get another 2x40k crowds the club are going to be ecstatic.
Trying to get up there for the Cats game , been off work with my knees so mightn't be able to afford it

Interesting read on Sonny Morey, the Sir Doug Nicholls Honouree for 2024;

Removed from his family as a young boy, did not speak English, had his surname changed from Gorey to Morey and moved from hostel to hostel, never again seeing his mother.

Eventually ended up becoming a top line player at Central District (over 200 games (first to reach that milestone for CD), B&F winner and Magarey Medal runner-up in 1972) and met his future wife, by taking a speccy over her (cue didn't everyone meet their missus that way?)

A 3 degrees of separation story in that Sonny mentored Michael O'Loughlin's uncle Wilbur Wilson, who played at Central District, as later did Micky O himself.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting read on Sonny Morey, the Sir Doug Nicholls Honouree for 2024;

Removed from his family as a young boy, did not speak English and moved from hostel to hostel, never again seeing his mother.

Eventually ended up becoming a top line player at Central District (over 200 games (first to reach that milestone for CD), B&F winner and Magarey Medal runner-up in 1972) and met his future wife, by taking a speccy over her (cue didn't everyone meet their missus that way?)

A 3 degrees of separation story in that Sonny mentored Michael O'Loughlin's uncle Wilbur Wilson, who played at Central District, as later did Micky O himself.
Thank you for that Hairy, made me cry. What a wonderful person to not only overcome his tumultuous childhood, but to become the amazing man he grew into.
Not only an inspiration to his indigenous brethren, an inspiration to us all.

My take on footy is fairly basic. I know the game has come a long way since the days I played. But the basics stay the same. The rules are a problem as since Vlad they have been compromised & something that was simple is now incredibly complicated & interpretive.

The old holding the ball/dropping the ball rule went like this;

If a player is tackled and drops the ball it is deemed dropping the ball and a free kick will be paid to the tackler

If a player is tackled & fails to either handball (see glossary) or make contact on the ball with his foot, kick, then he will been deemed in possession and holding the ball

Simple rules. Now there are, I think, about 8 dot points & prior opportunity to confuse the issue.

Anyway, my philosophy is you either have the ball or you don't. What you do with the ball and what actions you take without the ball are imperative to winning games. Use the ball well when you have it & set up defensively when you don't.

Strategies are a coach thing. The more you complicate things the less likely it will succeed. This is because you need to bring a whole squad of players along with you, not just 23. John Kennedy SNR had a pretty simple philosophy;

See ball, get ball, use ball. See player with ball, shut him down, get ball, use ball. Simple game really.

But strategies to achieve those aims in this day & age are necessary, especially as most teams work on a total retention basis. In other words, if you retain the footy you control the game. Chris Scott is very big on this, therefore his rigorous kick to position game. High percentage kicking teams are more likely to control more play. High handballing teams risk losing the pill because they do not have marking possession. Teams that combine both & who have a high rate of efficiency are more likely to be near the top of the ladder.

Strategies that win you the ball back are incredibly simple & all a matter of work rate. High forwards & mids folding back to protect the backs more often than not will lead to a turnover. Backs moving up to intercept can cause the same. Even though the commentators talk as though this is rocket science it is just simple logic & easy even for Intellectually Challenged players to follow.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back