Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly it has gotten to the point where getting rid of that reputation is up to him.

Games like last night is why the criticism comes. And games like last night is why even his average games get judged harshly.

If he wants that to change he needs to learn to have a more reliable level of intensity.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does everyone think of his brother working, or managing as BT suggested, the Port store?

Initial thoughts were distaste, but then I remembered what that family has been through and with context I don't have an issue with the club supporting them...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Been a fan and a long term believer in him but last night was one of the softest performances I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, he's not even bad at using his body when he chooses to do it, he just lacks the taste for physicality. We dealt with this for 300 games with Westhoff and it never improved. I'm not sure if the concussion issues have impacted him or not but at the moment he's just not taking charge of games despite us pumping the ball inside 50 quite a lot.

He needs to play primarily in a lead up role where he can take his marks on the lead and use his elite kicking to deliver the ball.

A better coach would improve the hell out of him just by having a forward structure that tried to generate space and marks on the lead.

The Westhoff comparison is nonsense.

Westhoff can play any position. He was regularly Hinkley's only strategy to stop the opposition getting a run on when he was sent back as the spare in defence. He could play wing. He regularly kicked multiple goals a game.

Westhoff hit a terrific patch of form late in his career right up until he fizzled out at the very end, and even his worst was on par with Marshall's best.

What does everyone think of his brother working, or managing as BT suggested, the Port store?

Initial thoughts were distaste, but then I remembered what that family has been through and with context I don't have an issue with the club supporting them...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

If ever there was a case for positive nepotism, that would probably be it.

The difference between a good game and a poor game by Todd, is too large for someone who has been in the system for nearly 8 seasons. The difference between his excellent game and a s**t game is even more extreme.

One minute Todd will do something brilliant, 5 minutes later he will make a couple of U/10 errors. That's were most of the frustrations lie.

We keep persisting with him, especially when there in no Lord or Finlayson available, but has to do better than 1 good game every 4 or 5 weeks.
Unfortunately one of many on our list who have continually underperformed without a consequence

Westhoff hit a terrific patch of form late in his career right up until he fizzled out at the very end, and even his worst was on par with Marshall's best.
Indefensibly dumb comments like this are exactly why Philthy has to constantly clog up this thread with stats telling Marshall detractors how ridiculous they're being.

Marshall's best was a 45 goal year in 2022 which he followed up with a 36 goal year last year. Westhoff never kicked more than 34 goals in his fourteen AFL seasons.

Marshall has been be far the worst of the three and it isn’t even close.
Watched the replay and was surprised that Dixon played so well.
4 goals.
Several strong marks.
Created 2 goals for others with spoiling of the oppo's marking attempt.
Credit where it's due.

Indefensibly dumb comments like this are exactly why Philthy has to constantly clog up this thread with stats telling Marshall detractors how ridiculous they're being.

Marshall's best was a 45 goal year in 2022 which he followed up with a 36 goal year last year. Westhoff never kicked more than 34 goals in his fourteen AFL seasons.
To be fair he kicked those in 16 games averaging 2.1 goals a game equal with Todd's best.

Indefensibly dumb huh? Here are their career averages:

Screenshot_20240427_172226.jpg

Marshall is worth an extra 0.3 goals per game while enjoying the added benefit of rarely leaving the forward 50.

Here's how they compare at the same age:

Screenshot_20240427_173113.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 1972709

Marshall is worth an extra 0.3 goals per game while enjoying the added benefit of rarely leaving the forward 50.

That would be great if your comment was “Todd and westhoff had similar outputs” and not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1972709

These statistics are hard to ignore & I use to rip Hoff with the best of them.

Marshall can either choose to wallow in his own self pity, or dig deep, grit his teeth, & reach his potential.

Last edited:
Except they're not similar outputs. Westhoff has him covered in every single stat except goal averages which are similar. And this is despite Todd playing exclusively forward.

You claimed westhoffs worst was better than Todd’s best. Schulzenfest showed how that was categorically untrue.

Everything you’ve said since is avoiding that and trying to move the goalposts you originally set.

Hopefully that was an aberration because that was pretty poor last night from Tod . His kicking seems to have deserted h8m at present, possibly something to do sis his hip surgery but with it he’s getting the yips in other parts of his game as well , I think it’s just confidence and if that’s the case he regains it soon

His kicking isnt far off, ts more because of where he is getting his shots, always leading wide and deep to the pockets. Irrespective of that he was so fumbly last night, dropping a chest sitter. His form is really heading downward. May need to play him higher up to give him some greater freedom.

The Westhoff comparison is nonsense.

Westhoff can play any position. He was regularly Hinkley's only strategy to stop the opposition getting a run on when he was sent back as the spare in defence. He could play wing. He regularly kicked multiple goals a game.

Lmao. Marshall averages more goals, more marks on the lead and more marks inside 50. "Regularly kicked multiple goals a game" Jesus Christ. Does your brain just erase all of Marshall's good footy or what?

Marshall gets some of the most dogshit analysis imaginable on the internet by people who are desperate for him to have always been s**t. This is just more of it.

Westhoff was a tall flanker who got selected as a key forward. Hinkley refusing to use him in a role that would suit him and the team better and pick an actual key forward in his place was a huge part of why we couldn't take the next step during Westhoff's career.

Except they're not similar outputs. Westhoff has him covered in every single stat except goal averages which are similar. And this is despite Todd playing exclusively forward.

Todd could pad his stats easily if he was given carte blanche to swan back and play as a loose defender/wingman at his leisure instead of playing full time in the hardest position on the ground.

You're not making the point you think you're making. Westhoff floated back when he wasn't getting a touch in the forward 50 (because he failed to impose himself on games as a key forward for a decade, which is the point I made that you've decided to argue with).

Westhoff's best game was in 2019 against Melbourne:

18 disposals, 9 marks, 5 goals, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s

Marshall's best game to date was in 2022 vs West Coast:

14 disposals, 11 marks, 5 goals, 7 tackles, 2 inside 50s

"Even his worst is on par with Marshall's best."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back