Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuesday was the anniversary of his father's death. While he had a poor game, I'm cutting him some slack this week.
Nope. Sad as it is, his performances have been at this level for two months of footy now.

Nope. Sad as it is, his performances have been at this level for two months of footy now.
No that's not true at all. That would mean the entire season which is not the case.

His goalkicking has been shaky the entire season, but he was contributing and his skills were up until the Fremantle game. Since then his disposal efficiency has plummeted. At least he was still taking marks and leading.

It might not be coincidence that his two worst games this year have been against Fremantle and St Kilda, two teams that look to strangle you defensively. However tonight was diabolical. Really concerning. He looked zoned out physically and mentally. Can only see what the showdown brings where I assume Finlayson will slot in for SPP.

sometimes when you know you don’t have anyone breathing down your neck to take your spot, the urgency and determination lacks.

I do hope this has nothing to do with previous concussions and he’s changed his style to eliminate or reduce the risk of getting another (by playing soft)

No that's not true at all. That would mean the entire season which is not the case.

His goalkicking has been shaky the entire season, but he was contributing and his skills were up until the Fremantle game. Since then his disposal efficiency has plummeted. At least he was still taking marks and leading.

It might not be coincidence that his two worst games this year have been against Fremantle and St Kilda, two teams that look to strangle you defensively. However tonight was diabolical. Really concerning. He looked zoned out physically and mentally. Can only see what the showdown brings where I assume Finlayson will slot in for SPP.

Todd has not had a good season thus far. True, he had a good game against Richmond when he booted 4.2 but in his remaining games he has kicked only 6.6 in total. In his first two games Todd averaged 15 disposals in each but since then he has averaged 8.4. Statistically the rot seems to have started against Melbourne and alarmingly Todd's form is not getting any better.

If Aliir was not concussed I would have bought Finlayson in and dropped Todd but we may need Finlayson to cover for Aliir. If his form does not improve Marshall should definitely be getting a wake up call.

Certainly off his game tonight. That simple chest-mark drop was just horrible!

I want some of Charlies's mongrel to rub off on him.

You want Charlie to rub off his mongrel on him?

Oh My George Takai GIF

Signing a 5 year contract extension may have something to do with his form this season. He looks so complacent, no intensity in his game.

It’s harsh to say but he often goes missing when the pressure comes from the opposition and I don’t think he will ever amount to more than the third best tall forward option (if that)

Certainly off his game tonight. That simple chest-mark drop was just horrible!

I want some of Charlies's mongrel to rub off on him.

It's never going to happen, he just doesn't have it in him. His only hope is a new coach with a game plan that maximizes his limited skill set. Otherwise he'll just continue to be ineffectual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sick of him, and a number of our players, slowing down to take marks and allowing defenders to make up ground late for a spoil. Players don't seem to trust their skills and don't want to attack the ball in the air. I can't remember the last time Todd ran and jumped into a mark with arms fully outstretched.

Nah. If his performances had been at that level since 2 years ago, he would've been dropped 1.9 years ago.

I'm probably his second biggest fan on here but he was proper awful last night. The reason his biggest fan is constantly in this thread clogging it up with stats is because even when he's just okay, this thread is inexplicably stuffed with half the board talking about how awful he was. Last night was probably the first time that level of criticism was actually justified.

The difference between a good game and a poor game by Todd, is too large for someone who has been in the system for nearly 8 seasons. The difference between his excellent game and a s**t game is even more extreme.

One minute Todd will do something brilliant, 5 minutes later he will make a couple of U/10 errors. That's were most of the frustrations lie.

We keep persisting with him, especially when there in no Lord or Finlayson available, but has to do better than 1 good game every 4 or 5 weeks.

I said it last night, he was a spectator for that game. It was, by far, the worst I have seen him play in years.

The disappointing thing is, he has the talent. He just lacks the ability to use it consistently.

It's never going to happen, he just doesn't have it in him. His only hope is a new coach with a game plan that maximizes his limited skill set. Otherwise he'll just continue to be ineffectual.

Yep, he's not even bad at using his body when he chooses to do it, he just lacks the taste for physicality. We dealt with this for 300 games with Westhoff and it never improved. I'm not sure if the concussion issues have impacted him or not but at the moment he's just not taking charge of games despite us pumping the ball inside 50 quite a lot.

He needs to play primarily in a lead up role where he can take his marks on the lead and use his elite kicking to deliver the ball.

A better coach would improve the hell out of him just by having a forward structure that tried to generate space and marks on the lead.

Nah. If his performances had been at that level since 2 years ago, he would've been dropped 1.9 years ago.

I'm probably his second biggest fan on here but he was proper awful last night. The reason his biggest fan is constantly in this thread clogging it up with stats is because even when he's just okay, this thread is inexplicably stuffed with half the board talking about how awful he was. Last night was probably the first time that level of criticism was actually justified.

Yep, gets the same bullshit from a certain section of the fanbase regardless of how well he plays. He was getting the same "Marshmallow is useless" comments in the first couple of games where he was dominant. He copped it all last year despite having very few and far between genuinely ineffectual games.

Last night he finally lived up to that assessment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back