Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

What does everyone think of his brother working, or managing as BT suggested, the Port store?

Initial thoughts were distaste, but then I remembered what that family has been through and with context I don't have an issue with the club supporting them...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

the club has made it certain he will be a 200 gamer so may as well go all out. port adelaide is all about comfy feel good belonging and job security. they have the safest jobs in the ******* world our players.

Westy and Marshall are similar types both as frustrating as hell. Their best was unbelievable but their worst was so so bad.

But I know which one I would trust backing into a pack to take a mark or standing under a footy to take a mark.

And it ain’t Marshall.

Indefensibly dumb comments like this are exactly why Philthy has to constantly clog up this thread with stats telling Marshall detractors how ridiculous they're being.

Marshall's best was a 45 goal year in 2022 which he followed up with a 36 goal year last year. Westhoff never kicked more than 34 goals in his fourteen AFL seasons.
Counterpoint: HOFF HOFF HOFF

Todd is only ever gonna be a half decent forward, his best period was a 10-15 game streak in 2022, most importantly when dixon was injured and he was the main guy. The main difference is the team stopped just bombing it into the forward line and actually looked for his lead and the team was setting up different in the period that gave him a much more open forward line. Personally i think MG or JF can give you just as much as what Todd does for the next 5 years and i wouldnt be against trading him if you got something good in return. The main reason being the difference between him and JF is minimal but the contract difference would be quite a lot and Todd has genuine trade value right now. The future forward talls should be MG, JF and OL or OL, Todd and JF over the next 4 years. I think one should be traded to bolster the midfield

Todd is only ever gonna be a half decent forward, his best period was a 10-15 game streak in 2022, most importantly when dixon was injured and he was the main guy. The main difference is the team stopped just bombing it into the forward line and actually looked for his lead and the team was setting up different in the period that gave him a much more open forward line. Personally i think MG or JF can give you just as much as what Todd does for the next 5 years and i wouldnt be against trading him if you got something good in return. The main reason being the difference between him and JF is minimal but the contract difference would be quite a lot and Todd has genuine trade value right now. The future forward talls should be MG, JF and OL or OL, Todd and JF over the next 4 years. I think one should be traded to bolster the midfield
Finlayson has the same problems as Marshall but worse. I don't think he is the answer.

Finlayson has the same problems as Marshall but worse. I don't think he is the answer.
Statistically speaking, Finlayson is having a far superior season to Todd Marshall. Even Todd’s supposed strength (goal kicking accuracy), is below AFL average for KPFs (39.1%).

At 25, he should be entering into the most productive years of his AFL career, but unfortunately he’s trending in the other direction. At this rate he’ll be delisted before he sees out his 5 year contract extension.

What does everyone think of his brother working, or managing as BT suggested, the Port store?

Initial thoughts were distaste, but then I remembered what that family has been through and with context I don't have an issue with the club supporting them...

This sort of "nepotism" of sorts occurs in literally every industry. I don't think it's an issue regardless of what his family have been through. It's just normal.

This sort of "nepotism" of sorts occurs in literally every industry. I don't think it's an issue regardless of what his family have been through. It's just normal.
Its hardly like his brother would be earning $100k a year and be driving an MG around (hopefully). Also on the proviso of course that he turns up, works hard and does a good job

If you work in an industry where you can give a job to Todd's brother coz they like living in the same state after being orphaned at a young age in under a year then cool. And normally I am a bit of a nepotism nazi.

Big opportunity for Todd to return to form on Thursday night, i'd imagine the Crows would be putting most of their work into Dixon and Georgiades (neither of them played last time we met and they are currently our two most dangerous forwards) so it is a MASSIVE opportunity against a pretty poor Crows backline for Todd to slip under the radar and kick a few and win us this game and win back some confidence.

• We still don't know how much Todd's non-existent preseason is impacting on him so far. Nonetheless the rest of his season would want to show big improvement on last weeks effort especially from a mental perspective. Contrary to popular believe he was at his most productive statistically when Dixon came back into the team in 2022 but yes they might have developed more confidence in playing through Marshall while Dixon was out. Todd was on track to repeat 2022 until his hip started giving him grief.
  • It's way to early to be talking about trading Mitch at the tender age of 22 and after 4 games back. He has the most potential of any of our key forwards by a long way.
  • Ollie is really our only option as a target man. I think the jury is still out on him but he goes hard at it and is probably our best option as a 2nd ruck.
  • Jeremy will be glad to finish his career in SA and is relatively inexpensive. Like Marshall atm he is up and down but also like Marshall is athletic and good with ball in hand. He and to a lesser extent Marshall I could see playing a Wing.

I don't see the point in trading any of them so far. What they all desperately need is a kicking coach with some credibility. NOT Chad Cornes. All of those tall forwards would look a lot better if they had been making the most of their set shots this season and you can add Ollie to the list as someone who needs help.

We have Butters, Rozee, JHF, and Drew as our core and Wines and Mead to back them up. SPP when he gets back now. That seems like a good spread to me in strength, agility, skill and pace. It also looks like we have a couple of competitive rucks to back them up now. Yeah maybe an extra midfielder wouldn't hurt but I would be hesitant to trade out any of our tall forwards to get one. On the wings we have Bergman, Burgoyne and Boak this year with options for other players to move there if required or if Sinn can string some injury free games together although I am starting to lose hope there.

I firmly believe Bergman is the defensively-minded defender we already have and believe Finlayson, Farrell or Burton would all be options worth trying on the wing.

No doubt by season's end we will have a clearer picture of what would be best for our list and who would even be available and would add real depth to our midfield.

Westy and Todd were too different players. Both smart footballers, both tall, both flaky, but that's where it ends.

Todd is a key forward/3rd tall. Westy could play anywhere and particularly small.

The hard part for me watching Todd is 2 fold:

1 is his goalkicking. For someone with such an elite kick, he is incredibly mentally weak and his goal kicking as a result suffers big time. Every now and then he nails one in a big moment, but it's a rarity. He just misses way more than he should.

2 is how incredibly weak he is in the contest. He isn't soft, he's quite brave, but he just doesn't have that hardness to take big grabs. He gets his hands to a ridiculous number of balls that he drops often with no spoil from the opposition. As soon as he feels body pressure his chances of taking a mark drop to maybe 5% IMO. He can take lead ups, or over the top marks, but when around the ground and in a heavy or even a light contest, with many of the marks ones that should absolutely be swallowed by a key forward, he will just drop them.

We all know there's a crazy amount of talent there, but the frustration with him just not being able to close the deal on those 2 regularly gets to me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with most of what's said here, but jeez it's real hard to judge anyone under this current regime. Across the board, we just burn any talent we have fueling a complete clusterf*ck of a game plan. They're not even playing with passion. What does it say when our only blokes who show any passion are the guys who've been here for 5 minutes? You can see them dying.

I agree with most of what's said here, but jeez it's real hard to judge anyone under this current regime. Across the board, we just burn any talent we have fueling a complete clusterf*ck of a game plan. They're not even playing with passion. What does it say when our only blokes who show any passion are the guys who've been here for 5 minutes? You can see them dying.
No mate, he doesn’t get a pass.. hes
Non competitive and that’s unforgivable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back