Lifestyle Paddocks and Plates - Share your Garden and Kitchen Tips and Pics 🌱🍑🥬🌶

Remove this Banner Ad

I made falafels for the first time ever yesterday, and it dawned on me…

I need more practice.
There are some foods we're never going to get right the first time. If its not the folding its something else, but when we nail it?

Fracking high fives all around the kitchen baby!

Wednesday is the day I survey the fridge. I had a lone chook thigh and a pork spare rib. Also found sound some spare chickpeas I'd boiled with garlic and grated lemon (for another dish) and some unused coconut milk. Surveying the nightmare pantry I hauled out some peanuts I'd been keen to purge.

I'd read a recipe(lost) for vegie kebabs and dimly remembered use of a simple batter and then rolling kebabs in finely ground peanuts, chilli, cumin? The recipe was Nigerian with West African variants. Well the memory tickled my taste buds.

What I ended up with was a travesty but damned tasty. Made a batter with flour and coconut milk. Whizzed the peanuts with chilli and Harissa, salt and pepper etc. Coated the pork and chook. Made a spicy peanut sauce - half for basting, other half with meal.

Slow roasted the pork and chook and towards the end, chucked in some parboiled Bok Choi covered in the peanut sauce. Served it with some roast tomatoes and chickpea mash and lots of lemon squeezed over.

It all ended up working as a glorious mess. For the first time in ages I had seconds.

Check out this set of paint your own cookies my daughter has made for a Xmas market today, comes with a little paint brush too
ABC7E057-FA46-45BB-B84C-9628B12D62B7.jpeg

If there's a market within easy reach when I come back to SA over Christmas, i'll try and make my way there for one.
I’m in Morgan this Sunday at a market as long as it’s not flooded out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Up at fave ex Mrs H's for a few days.

Here is Comrade Luna surveying the garden and still complaining about the renos.

IMG_20221216_132212_680.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221216_132157_034.jpg
    IMG_20221216_132157_034.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I come in search for some new fresh ideas.

With some luck and nous (mainly luck of not getting caught) I will have in my possession a metric * ton of yabbies by tomorrow afternoon.

How do my fellow yabby catchers go about the cooking/serving process. Anything other than boiling water and some salt to cook? Any serving/recipe ideas would be good too.

With some luck and nous (mainly luck of not getting caught) I will have in my possession a metric * ton of yabbies by tomorrow afternoon.

How do my fellow yabby catchers go about the cooking/serving process. Anything other than boiling water and some salt to cook? Any serving/recipe ideas would be good too.
I haven’t had yabbies in ages and I live on the river. The one recipe I’ve always wanted to try was a salt and pepper yabby, just like with squid, reckon it would be awesome. Think they would go well with sweet chilli too or hollandaise

MP_ ideas are great. esp crispy salt and pepper.

salt and vinegar ere the traditional.

you have got stacks. I would sort the smaller ones out and use them for the equivalent of a French lobster or
Prawn bisque. Save a couple of larger ones for decoration.

geebers I am so jealous

MP_ ideas are great. esp crispy salt and pepper.

salt and vinegar ere the traditional.

you have got stacks. I would sort the smaller ones out and use them for the equivalent of a French lobster or
Prawn bisque. Save a couple of larger ones for decoration.

geebers I am so jealous
I would reserve jealousy until I have in fact caught these, I am afraid that counting them before they hatch per se may backfire spectacularly.

I would reserve jealousy until I have in fact caught these, I am afraid that counting them before they hatch per se may backfire spectacularly.
I saw a video recently and yabbies were plentiful upstream that they were just scooping them up in a net

lol we want reports!!,

I saw a video recently and yabbies were plentiful upstream that they were just scooping them up in a net
Where I am going backs onto a major river in our area. I'm not sure what it looks like currently should have some water in there after all the rain we have had.

I'll attack his dams and maybe his neighbours dam to if I can sneak the fence.

lol we want reports!!,
I'll report around 5/6pm tomorrow night. Not sure what time I am collecting I am waiting for the brother in law to arrive so we can go drink 6 cans collect yabby nets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back