Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Player manager Matt Bain says Jade Gresham is eager to play in front of bigger crowds after moving to Essendon from St Kilda.

"He's looking forward to getting to a big Melbourne club and playing in front of some big crowds, so that's exciting for him," Bain said.

God that sounds familiar. Hilarious to see they roll the greatest hits out for any club change.

They’re saving that space for Glenn Maxwell
Maxwell was ridiculous last night!
I woke up just after his 100 and watched to the end.
We were no hope right up until we were almost home.
It was really something else.

Maxwell was ridiculous last night!
I woke up just after his 100 and watched to the end.
We were no hope right up until we were almost home.
It was really something else.

the irony/paradox about that Maxwell innings is that if he doesn’t cramp, he doesn’t get 200.

it was a remarkable innings under extreme duress - but if he’s healthy and can run, Cummins ends up on 25/30 not 12. I lost count of the singles & twos they didn’t run because Maxwell couldn’t - or the number of times Pat just blocked out an over leaving Maxwell on strike for the next one. Two healthy batters share the runs more.

Still amazing to watch though.

NAMESURNAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUB
BoAllanWAPeel Thunder
LeviAshcroftVIC MSandringham Dragons
BenCamporealeSAGlenelg
LucasCamporealeSAGlenelg
MalakaiChampionWASubiaco
JoelCochranNSW/ACTSydney Swans Academy
ArcherDay-WicksVIC CBendigo Pioneers
OliverDeanTASTasmania Devils
SidDraperSASouth Adelaide
JontyFaullVIC CGWV Rebels
TomGrossVIC MOakleigh Chargers
SamLalorVIC CGWV Rebels
HarveyLangfordVIC CDandenong Stingrays
XavierLindsayVIC CGippsland Power
LeonardoLombardQLDGold Coast Suns Academy
SamMarshallQLDBrisbane Lions Academy/
Sandringham Dragons
RickyMenthaNTNorthern Territory Academy/
Gippsland Power
ChristianMoraesVIC MEastern Ranges
NoahMrazVIC CDandenong Stingrays
HarryO'FarrellVIC MCalder Cannons
FinnO'SullivanVIC COakleigh Chargers
JobeShanahanNSW/ACTBendigo Pioneers
JoshSmillieVIC MEastern Ranges
JaggaSmithVIC MOakleigh Chargers
LukeTrainorVIC MSandringham Dragons
TylerWelshSAWoodville West-Torrens

Message from CEO Andrew Dillon, seems to be a big push for community footy.

Seems to be a bit of an absence in NSW initiatives being mentioned compared to Qld. Hopefully means now that Qld is starting to see lift off with footy, NSW will see a few initiatives announced here.

Though, I do believe we're due to see the AFL expansion hub open soon in Parramatta though haven't heard much about it recently.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Holy punch-in-the-face! An 18-match ban for Tarryn Thomas!

wwos.nine.com.au

AFL slaps troubled North star with 18-match ban

Career in jeopardy over latest allegations
wwos.nine.com.au

Troubled North Melbourne player Tarryn Thomas has been suspended for 18 weeks following an investigation into alleged inappropriate behaviour.

It can be revealed the AFL Commission ratified the penalty, which will be served in its entirety.

It means Thomas will not be available for selection until Round 20, leaving him just four games at most to prove he deserves another contract at the Roos.

This is, of course, presuming the Kangaroos decide to keep him on their list. North Melbourne declined to comment when contacted on Monday afternoon.

In July Thomas went to court but avoided sanction for threatening to distribute intimate videos of his former partner.

These latest allegations are independent of any previous allegations. It's understood the AFL was planning to release a statement as early as Tuesday following an AFL Integrity Unit investigation into his alleged behaviour.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Holy punch-in-the-face! An 18-match ban for Tarryn Thomas!

wwos.nine.com.au

AFL slaps troubled North star with 18-match ban

Career in jeopardy over latest allegations
wwos.nine.com.au

Troubled North Melbourne player Tarryn Thomas has been suspended for 18 weeks following an investigation into alleged inappropriate behaviour.

It can be revealed the AFL Commission ratified the penalty, which will be served in its entirety.

It means Thomas will not be available for selection until Round 20, leaving him just four games at most to prove he deserves another contract at the Roos.

This is, of course, presuming the Kangaroos decide to keep him on their list. North Melbourne declined to comment when contacted on Monday afternoon.

In July Thomas went to court but avoided sanction for threatening to distribute intimate videos of his former partner.

These latest allegations are independent of any previous allegations. It's understood the AFL was planning to release a statement as early as Tuesday following an AFL Integrity Unit investigation into his alleged behaviour.
I wonder if we would consider for 2024.
Tarryns eyes remind me of Bruce Lehrmann's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want a person like that at our club.
I agree. He has let down teammates. Doesn't seem to respect authority.
A number of clubs will be annoyed with Thomas.
Perhaps knowing this could happen was a factor in why North got such a generous assistance package last year.

How to pronounce players' names:

Tristan Xerri: She’s heard Xerri pronounced as everything from cherry and exerry to zerry. But all three are wrong. “It’s actually pronounced ‘sherry’, because in Maltese, the X is pronounced as ‘sh’,” she says.

Orazio Fantasia: The issue came up in 2018 and 2019, after even experienced commentators struggled, or made assumptions, with the then Essendon and now Carlton footballer Orazio Fantasia’s name. Fantasia revealed that his name was pronounced Oh-rahzio Fan-tay-sha.

Mattaes Phillipou: Phillipou, 19, says that although people tend to get his first name right — Matt-AY-us - his surname is often mispronounced as Philli-poo. However, the correct way is to say it is Philli-poh.

Christian Petracca says that a common mispronunciation of his Italian surname is Peh-tracker, “which is very Aussie slang”. But the correct pronunciation is Peh-TRAH-kah. He says while he’s not so worried about how it’s pronounced, his parents might be. Petracca’s advice was to say the name in an Italian way, with a rolling “tr”.

Marcus Windhager: “I’ve heard ‘wind hanger’ a lot,” he says. “That’s probably the main one.” It is actually pronounced Wind-hay-gah, he says.

Arie Schoenmaker: St Kilda key defender Arie Schoenmaker says his surname is often pronounced shoe-maker and scone-marker. He says the latter pronunciation is more South African.But his family, who have Dutch heritage, say it SHOOen-mayker. And his first name is Ah-ree. The key to getting the surname right is remembering to include the “n”, he says.

Kysaiah Pickett: Demons forward and midfielder Kysaiah Pickett says of his first name: “I get Koh-ZYE-ah a lot of the time, or KOZ-eye-ah. But the correct way to say it is Kye-zay-ah.”

And of course:

“Pronouncing someone’s name correctly is a sign of respect. It shows you think they matter.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back