Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

under Kingsley I think we are better at winning these games, compared to when Leon Cameron was our coach.
We've only got one year so far, but we're definitely looking better in winning the games we should win and sometimes winning the games we shouldn't.

Despite some media reports and the AFL commission’s purported wishes, it seems that Buddy was never a chance of coming to us

“I think what the AFL didn’t understand when they made free agency is that yes, they (free agents) want to get paid a bit of money, but what they’re not going to do in the back end of their career is go to a club they think will be a cellar-dweller.

“There was never any chance of Lance doing anything but staying where he was or coming to the Swans.

Despite some media reports and the AFL commission’s purported wishes, it seems that Buddy was never a chance of coming to us

“I think what the AFL didn’t understand when they made free agency is that yes, they (free agents) want to get paid a bit of money, but what they’re not going to do in the back end of their career is go to a club they think will be a cellar-dweller.

“There was never any chance of Lance doing anything but staying where he was or coming to the Swans.

Think it benefited us, him not coming

Think it benefited us, him not coming
think it was good for all parties in hindsight.
Hawks win 3 flags
Buddy becomes the legend that we thought he would
We became a very strong side.

On the field it helped us massively as we got Mummy and Shaw.

Off field? Hmm we possibly lost out.
That's how I see it. He would have meant extra eyeballs on us during our formative years, but we would have missed out on Mummy and Heater and possibly lost Jezza sooner. If I recall correctly, there was talk during that same trade period that Richmond were going to trade out Dustin Martin, and we were a possible destination. Having the league's two poster boys at the same club would have been interesting...

That's how I see it. He would have meant extra eyeballs on us during our formative years, but we would have missed out on Mummy and Heater and possibly lost Jezza sooner. If I recall correctly, there was talk during that same trade period that Richmond were going to trade out Dustin Martin, and we were a possible destination. Having the league's two poster boys at the same club would have been interesting...
legend has it that the AFL basically warned us off Dusty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems the AFL Commission is taking a different approach for Tasmania’s draft concessions than what was offered to us (and Gold Coast).

They’re going to be given a lot of draft concessions, but they’re going to have to trade some of them away for established players,” Landsberger said on Wednesday.

“The update on that is that the draft concessions are not going to fall in one year like (they did for) Gold Coast and the Giants. It’s going to be spread over either two or three drafts to minimise the chance that they fall in either a supremely strong draft or an abnormally weak draft.

Hmm, no detail there, but I do agree that spreading it out over several drafts is smart. Of course, you still need to give them enough to be competitive in the first year, but not such that the extra two years of drafts then makes them really strong. (Which of course was the concern in regards the outcome for Suns and Giants, but was never likely to be the case, given we both were centred on just a single draft year.)

The other detail required is how they "force" clubs to trade with the Devils. That was the idea behind our mini-drafts (which I'm guessing was the thought behind this idea), but never came to fruition because clubs simply preferred to trade future draft picks rather than players. So, how will AFL House change that resistance?

The other detail required is how they "force" clubs to trade with the Devils. That was the idea behind our mini-drafts (which I'm guessing was the thought behind this idea), but never came to fruition because clubs simply preferred to trade future draft picks rather than players. So, how will AFL House change that resistance?
that’s an issue.
Problem is clubs demand top picks for spuds and retirees when they know the club has to trade their pick. What happened to us in setup.

Sunday Footy Show live from Adelaide is on 9Gem HD in Sydney and I would assume nationally, probably on different channels.

Good to see them relegate it to a non-main channel in Sydney at a minimum, rather than not broadcast it at all.

Sunday Footy Show live from Adelaide is on 9Gem HD in Sydney and I would assume nationally, probably on different channels.

Good to see them relegate it to a non-main channel in Sydney at a minimum, rather than not broadcast it at all.
We have had the footy show in the secondary channel in ACT, and I would have thought it would have been similar in Sydney as most of our tv programming (with the exception of News) is from Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back