Murray Football League (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

No, never work Tatsean, would be a nightmare.
Avenel,Nagambie, Seymour or Euroa travelling to Finley, Deni or Mulwala, just to name a couple of instances. No chance.

Agreed. logistically impossiable. Never going from Echuca to Yea to play ever again and you can throw Violet Town in with that as well. To many bad memories. I still can't watch the video all the way to the end, both of them.

No, never work Tatsean, would be a nightmare.
Avenel,Nagambie, Seymour or Euroa travelling to Finley, Deni or Mulwala, just to name a couple of instances. No chance.

Agreed. logistically impossiable. Never going from Echuca to Yea to play ever again and you can throw Violet Town in with that as well. To many bad memories. I still can't watch the video all the way to the end, both of them.

I believe the VCFL's angle was to prefer to see a revamp of league structures than teams continually dominating or struggling. Hank, your team voluntarily moved to the Murray League. Wouldn't it have been better to be relegated as one of the lower teams and then have another crack at the better league down the track if you were able to get that opportunity?

Guys, your Logisitics argument doesn't stand up. It is all relative. According to travelmate map maker:
Echuca to Mansfield 224kms.

Your "nightmare" scenarios are:
Seymour to Deniliquin 223kms.
Mansfield to Finley 230kms.
Seymour to Mulwala 191kms.

So you think there is no chance of Seymour going to Deniliquin? 224kms is 1 km longer than 223kms. So logistically some teams are already doing it!!!

Where is the furtherest you have to travel Morgs? The last time I checked Yea had left the GV area and gone to play with Alexandra and Thornton in the Yarra Valley Mountain league. So don't worry about that anymore.......

I have this argument with people from Tat, Mooroopna and Shep all the time who don't like travelling to Mansfield. We may have to go to Mansfield once a season. Mansfield may have to travel over here up to 8 times at Shep Bears, United, Swans, Mooroopna, Tat, Kyabram, Rochy and Echuca. Same applies to Echuca travelling the other way. Is it just ok for Echuca and Mansfield to travel large distances? Logistics is usually catered for in this instance in that Echuca and Mansfield play each other once a year due to having 18 rounds and 12 clubs in the league. Same should apply if you had Seymour and Deni in the same league.
If out reaching clubs did have to play twice a year then the VCFL and GV area Leagues could try something like the following... (from a bit further left field). Echuca and Mansfield have been pretty even teams in the last few years. Why not play them at a neutral central venue like Deakin in Shep on a sunday. Or even the sunday night or the monday of the Queens Birthday Weekend? Not as far to travel for both teams. Split the gate takings. I noticed a lot of KDFL people at the Ky Tat game last night so I think you would get a large component of people from the shepparton area to the crowd to watch as they love their footy in the GV! You could do this with Deni and Seymour too if it eventuated. Both teams already travel to Shep in their current leagues.:)

Crucial win for you guys yesterday Hank.

Yes No clue, could be very big in the scheme of things, especially after going down by a kick the week before. We have Moama and Rumba in the next two rounds so could be back to the field very quickly with 4 and 4 but will be much better than 3 and 5.
Toc getting over Numurkah keeps things interesting and Toc take on Cobram this weekend so that will be another huge game for both clubs.

Guys, your Logisitics argument doesn't stand up. It is all relative. According to travelmate map maker:
Echuca to Mansfield 224kms.

Your "nightmare" scenarios are:
Seymour to Deniliquin 223kms.
Mansfield to Finley 230kms.
Seymour to Mulwala 191kms.

Ok,
Mansfield to Deni 285km
Mansfield to Jerilderie 265km

Yes these distances maybe similar but if your travelling 200+kms to play football more than once a year people just aren't going to travel.
Leagues must have a geographical existence, with your scenario it could end up a league having 6 sides in NSW and then the other 6 within 1.5 hrs of Melb
The KDL has 8 sides within 30mins of each other and the only trip over 1hr is Tally to Avenel. Why would you change that.
If Avenel played off in the KDL i can gaurantee you they would step out a year before having to go into the murray league and travel more than an hour (more closer to 2hrs+) every 2nd week!!

Yes No clue, could be very big in the scheme of things, especially after going down by a kick the week before. We have Moama and Rumba in the next two rounds so could be back to the field very quickly with 4 and 4 but will be much better than 3 and 5.
Toc getting over Numurkah keeps things interesting and Toc take on Cobram this weekend so that will be another huge game for both clubs.

wouldnt look to much into the toc win against numurkah considering numurkah had jason collins, paul collins, geoff hopkins, trav thompson, mick laidlaw and matt johns out, also linc wellington injuried his knee and didnt play for most of the game aswell as mark brown getting sent off the blues were far from full strength.
the margain was only 5 points in the end after a very dodgey goal umpiring decision on the siren which should have seen the scores equal at the end of the game. in the crowd you could clearly see the shadow of the ball on the inside of the post and all the numurkah players claim it was a clear goal. i know im making excuses but tocumwal will not get close to the top 4 sides on their effort saturday

Dear Hank,
Ok. KDFL is a closer league now that Yea is gone. Point valid:thumbsu:. If Mansfield and Seymour etc wasn't in the GV the same would apply. The VCFL will have to give out petrol vouchers soon for people to watch their teams play at away games.......
But check your distances - Mansfield to Jerilderie is 214kms. Mansfield to Deniliquin 238kms. Try Google maps- a bit more accurate, Travelmate uses mainly the main highways. You must have gone via Shepparton instead of Benalla to Tocumwal direct with your calculations:confused::confused:. Though your way is a better pub crawl home!:D:D Still 238kms is a long journey! Even katamatite to Thornton in the old Tungamah League days wasn't that far! So yes to make it fairer the VCFL might have to jointly fund neutral games at central venues if distance is over say 150kms, as is Mans->Echuca, Kyabram or Rochy. Be wary it may happen sooner than we think....There has been lots of changes to leagues in the GV-NorthEast Vic over the last 10 years by the VCFL and it will keep evolving. The Coreen league-gone. The Tungamah(CentralGoulburn) league-gone. Next will probably be the Benalla league. Only 5 clubs left.

Dear Hank,
Ok. KDFL is a closer league now that Yea is gone. Point valid:thumbsu:. If Mansfield and Seymour etc wasn't in the GV the same would apply. The VCFL will have to give out petrol vouchers soon for people to watch their teams play at away games.......
But check your distances - Mansfield to Jerilderie is 214kms. Mansfield to Deniliquin 238kms. Try Google maps- a bit more accurate, Travelmate uses mainly the main highways. You must have gone via Shepparton instead of Benalla to Tocumwal direct with your calculations:confused::confused:. Though your way is a better pub crawl home!:D:D Still 238kms is a long journey! Even katamatite to Thornton in the old Tungamah League days wasn't that far! So yes to make it fairer the VCFL might have to jointly fund neutral games at central venues if distance is over say 150kms, as is Mans->Echuca, Kyabram or Rochy. Be wary it may happen sooner than we think....There has been lots of changes to leagues in the GV-NorthEast Vic over the last 10 years by the VCFL and it will keep evolving. The Coreen league-gone. The Tungamah(CentralGoulburn) league-gone. Next will probably be the Benalla league. Only 5 clubs left.

Just used the same site as you mate.
Surely u can see the point though, Avenel or Nagambie aren't going to want to get promoted to the MFL. Seymour, Euroa Mansfield relegated to MFL. Deni, Finley promoted to GV etc. etc.
We need to be cutting out travelling not extend it, and no one would want to meet halfway and play a game.

Just used the same site as you mate.
Surely u can see the point though, Avenel or Nagambie aren't going to want to get promoted to the MFL. Seymour, Euroa Mansfield relegated to MFL. Deni, Finley promoted to GV etc. etc.
We need to be cutting out travelling not extend it, and no one would want to meet halfway and play a game.
A great win by your boys Hank!!4/2 is a top start. Surely finals are on the agenda.

wouldnt look to much into the toc win against numurkah considering numurkah had jason collins, paul collins, geoff hopkins, trav thompson, mick laidlaw and matt johns out, also linc wellington injuried his knee and didnt play for most of the game aswell as mark brown getting sent off the blues were far from full strength.
the margain was only 5 points in the end after a very dodgey goal umpiring decision on the siren which should have seen the scores equal at the end of the game. in the crowd you could clearly see the shadow of the ball on the inside of the post and all the numurkah players claim it was a clear goal. i know im making excuses but tocumwal will not get close to the top 4 sides on their effort saturday

At the end of the day the goal umpire probably just evened the gross display the field umpire that lives in Numerkah showed towards us for the day. Another massive game for Toc this weekend against a side that will be fighting for one of those last 2 spots in the final 6 with us.

A great win by your boys Hank!!4/2 is a top start. Surely finals are on the agenda.

Have always been on the radar Ringo but still a lot of work to do, could quiet easily be 4 and 4 and back with the field after playing Moama and Rumba in the next two rounds with Nathalia and Barooga still to come.

i remember those days. Thornton to dookie was a early start! Us country people do it hard just for a game of footy. Living in melb now makes games at thornton the furthest trip for most of the seniors now. But 2, maybe 3 trips over the black spur a season were to much for south belgrave, who quit the yarra valley div 2 to play eastern div 4. City people dont no how easy they have it. Great to see ex central goulburn team rumba having a better start to the season. How they shaping up this year? I remember only beating them once maybe twice in the seniors over 4-5 years. 2000 3rds flag was a nice win tho!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My tips

Echuca United v Mulwala
Barooga v Finley
Nathalia v Deni
Tocumwal v Cobram
Tongala v Moama

I think Mul might be a chance but i went with Echuca because it is their home game. Also Toc and Cobram should be a close one.

How we all looking for this weekend of winter footy?
We have plenty out and gunna be very difficult for us to even get close to Nathalia.
Coming off a bye, would be nice to go in full strength, but through unavailability and injuries we about 8-10 players off our best, but we will have a go anyway and thats all you can do.
Been tough two weeks for the club, with a much loved life member passing away.
Goodluck everyone and rug up. :thumbsu: ;).

How we all looking for this weekend of winter footy?
We have plenty out and gunna be very difficult for us to even get close to Nathalia.
Coming off a bye, would be nice to go in full strength, but through unavailability and injuries we about 8-10 players off our best, but we will have a go anyway and thats all you can do.
Been tough two weeks for the club, with a much loved life member passing away.
Goodluck everyone and rug up. :thumbsu: ;).
no doubt the 21 blokes you put on the field will give their all as the deni boys always do homer. who are some of your key injuries? anything long term? condolences to everyone at ramland for the member who passed away. you guys a fairly high spirited and tight knit over there so stick together.
seems like we might get a good old fashioned weekend of winter footy. should be good.

on a lighter note, good to see young troy kornmann for echuca united starting in the centre for the eagles in the 1's tomorrow. looks like the hard work and determination has paid off for the little battler. good luck troy!

no doubt the 21 blokes you put on the field will give their all as the deni boys always do homer. who are some of your key injuries? anything long term? condolences to everyone at ramland for the member who passed away. you guys a fairly high spirited and tight knit over there so stick together.
seems like we might get a good old fashioned weekend of winter footy. should be good.

on a lighter note, good to see young troy kornmann for echuca united starting in the centre for the eagles in the 1's tomorrow. looks like the hard work and determination has paid off for the little battler. good luck troy!
The forecast weather conditions should play right into Korny's hands. Wet day, slippery ball on the deck a lot....Korny is 4 ft 6 so he'll be a lot closer to the ball than most when it's on the ground....

The forecast weather conditions should play right into Korny's hands. Wet day, slippery ball on the deck a lot....Korny is 4 ft 6 so he'll be a lot closer to the ball than most when it's on the ground....
4ft 6? that's being a little generous isn't it? i must agree with you on him being much closer to the ground, although i bet he's hoping that the centre wicket area on the south oval doesn't get too chewed up after the rain or he'll come off the ground at the end of the game looking like he's been dunked in mud and covered in grass clippings.

dunno if this has already been put on here but the mfl interleague squad has been released:

Barooga: Tim O'Dwyer, Tyron Hill, Brent Chapman, Sean Harrap, Shaun Robbins, Marty Brooks, Zane Goodwin.
Cobram: Toby Parish, Nicholas Sim, James Murray.
Congupna: Eamon Reeves, Shannon Emmett.
Deniliquin: Brad Robson, Troy Bartlett.
Echuca United: Duane Hueston, Nick Jackson, Craig Frost, Nick Iorianni, Damian Dalziel.
Moama: Shannon Keam, Cameron McCabe, Troy Gread, Ross Sleight, Luke Eldridge.
Mulwala: Nathan Tresize, Dillon Robinson, Michael James, Ty Primmer, Nathan Parker.
Nathalia: Nathan Gemmill, Adam Quarrell, Jarrod Maskell, Ryan Butler, Drew Barnes, Troy Snelson, Marc Quarrell, Brett Vallander.
Numurkah: Linc Wellington, Tyson Saunders, Sam Robertson, Bryce Wellington.
Rumbalara: Josh Wanganeen, John Jackson.
Tocumwal: Lee Warnett, Jarrod Kelly, Luke Chapman.
Tongala: Michael Roberts, Andrew Reid, Adam Brunt, Daryl Harrison

anyone wanna have a go at naming a side from those names. take out linc wellington cos he's injured.

i decided to have a crack. probably not the most accurate illustration of what the side will look like but feel free to post your own and discuss changes/inclusions/exclusions etc etc.

B: Leigh Warnett (Toc), Tim O’Dwyer (Bar), Shannon Keam (Moa)

HB: Ryan Butler (Nat), Martin Brooks (Bar), Drew Barnes (Nat)

C: Craig Frost (EU), Adam Brunt (Ton), Troy Snelson (Nat)

HF: John Jackson (Rum), Michael Roberts (Ton), Brett Vallender (Nat)

F: Bryce Wellington (Num), Duane Hueston (EU), Cameron McCabe (Moa)

FOL: Damian Dalziel (EU), Ross Sleight (Moa), Daryl Harrison (Ton)

INT: Nick Jackson (EU), Andrew Reid (Ton), Eamon Reeves (Con), Mark Quarrell (Nat)

COACH: Damien Sexton

i decided to have a crack. probably not the most accurate illustration of what the side will look like but feel free to post your own and discuss changes/inclusions/exclusions etc etc.

B: Leigh Warnett (Toc), Tim O’Dwyer (Bar), Shannon Keam (Moa)

HB: Ryan Butler (Nat), Martin Brooks (Bar), Drew Barnes (Nat)

C: Craig Frost (EU), Adam Brunt (Ton), Troy Snelson (Nat)

F: Bryce Wellington (Num), Duane Hueston (EU), Cameron McCabe (Moa)

FOL: Damian Dalziel (EU), Ross Sleight (Moa), Daryl Harrison (Ton)

INT: Nick Jackson (EU), Andrew Reid (Ton), Eamon Reeves (Con), Mark Quarrell (Nat)

Couldn't find a spot for Nathan Gemmill??

Couldn't find a spot for Nathan Gemmill??
i could possibly slot him in somewhere but i sort of went for a more youthful type side with a few experienced heads. i would possibly chuck him in as rover and move ross sleight onto an extended bench. not sure. you got a team you could maybe put up?

B: Adam Quarrell (Nat), Martin Brooks (Bar), Shannon Keam (Moa)

HB: Ryan Butler (Nat), Shaun Robbins (Bar), Troy Gread (Moa)

C: Drew Barnes (Nat), Nathan Gemmill (Nat), Troy Snelson (Nat)

F: Marc Quarrell (Nat), Duane Hueston (EU), Cameron McCabe (Moa)

FOL: Damian Dalziel (EU), Ross Sleight (Moa), Adam Brunt (Ton)

INT: Darryl Harrison (Ton), Jarrod Maskell (Nath), Eamon Reeves (Con), Troy Barlett (Nat)

Changed the team a little from tuckylives out from his side: L Warnett, T O'Dwyer, B Wellington, N Jackson and A Reid.

New to my side: A Quarrell most underrated backman in the leauge
T Gread can create play as well as shut down forwards
J Maskell back up ruckman to Dalziel and a backman if need be
N Gemmill no more needs to be said
T Bartlett midfield forward replacement.

looks good mate. just one thing, since when did bartlett play for nathalia? BB, is there something you're not telling us? don't tell me bartlett has signed on with the purps at this point of the season!!??

B: Adam Quarrell (Nat), Martin Brooks (Bar), Shannon Keam (Moa)

HB: Ryan Butler (Nat), Shaun Robbins (Bar), Troy Gread (Moa)

C: Drew Barnes (Nat), Nathan Gemmill (Nat), Troy Snelson (Nat)

F: Marc Quarrell (Nat), Duane Hueston (EU), Cameron McCabe (Moa)

FOL: Damian Dalziel (EU), Ross Sleight (Moa), Adam Brunt (Ton)

INT: Darryl Harrison (Ton), Jarrod Maskell (Nath), Eamon Reeves (Con), Troy Barlett (Nat)

QUOTE]

Would be happy if we take that side away BB. No one from Moama has trained as yet so not sure how many of them will front, Butler, Barnes and Nath Gemmill also haven't been to any so unsure on them also. Tyron Hill will be in the side from Barooga he trained Weds night, haven't seen him play but would expect him to be on the pill, also Reid would be in my side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back