MPNFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

The league have stated they don't want byes in any comp. That would suggest a 10 , 10, 8 or 10 depending on quality applying.
Ok so let’s say Narre, Cranny, South Mornington, CPL, Frankston and Peninsula OB come across, along with the current 22 clubs, that leaves 28 so could well and truly do 10-10-8.
Div 2 would be a super comp too with some good sides in it.
As for Chelsea Hts, Skye and Lyndhurst for now I see them staying in the SFL.
Rough divisions based on current ladder standings (no new clubs allowed in D1):

Div 1-
Dromana
YCW
Pines
Mt Eliza
Frankston Bombers
Sorrento
Rosebud
Red Hill
Langwarrin
Karingal (promoted) ** could change

Div 2-
Bonbeach (relegated) * could change
Devon Meadows
Mornington
Somerville
Chelsea
Edi Asp
Narre Warren
Cranbourne
Pearcedale
Peninsula OB

Div 3-
Hastings
Tyabb
Seaford
Crib point
Rye
Frankston Dolphins
Carrum PL
South Mornington

Obviously need to factor in a few things eg: overall club depth for example will Seaford be too strong in D3 based on depth and junior system, where does the new clubs start (provided not D1).

Not a bad look Wild Thing, although two things I will say. Don't be at all surprised at an 9 - 9 - 10 looking fixture. 14 rounds means 1 home, 1 away fixture against the rest of the comp for the top 2 divisions. I feel the winner of Div 2, as much as it sucks for them will be afforded the opportunity to ply there wares in Div 1 next year should they push out to 3 divisions. And as mentioned in the SFNL thread, Cranbourne have all but been confirmed to start in Div 1 from what I hear.

I do like the clubs you have named, so I'll use that as a basis and model of the 8 - 8 - 10 I suggested (using current ladder positions in MPFNL anyways)

Div 1. (9 teams, 1 weekly bye)
Dromana Tigers
Frankston YCW
Pines Pythons
Mt Eliza Redlegs
Cranbourne Eagles
Frankston Bombers
Sorrento Sharks
Langwarrin Kangaroos
Rosebud (current ladder leader in Div 2)

Div 2. (9 teams, 1 weekly)
Red Hill FNC
Bonbeach Sharks
Narre Warren FNC
Seaford Tigers
Mornington FNC
Karingal Bulls
Beaconsfield
Carrum Patterson Lakes FNC
one of ***

Div 3. (10 teams, no bye but perhaps a week off all together)
Somerville FNC ***
Devon Meadows FNC ***
Chelsea FNC ***
Pearcedale Panthers ***
Edi - Asp FNC
Hastings FNC
Crib Point FNC
Tyabb FNC
Rye FNC
South Mornington FNL
Frankston Dolphins FNC
Peninsula OB

Not a bad look Wild Thing, although two things I will say. Don't be at all surprised at an 9 - 9 - 10 looking fixture. 14 rounds means 1 home, 1 away fixture against the rest of the comp for the top 2 divisions. I feel the winner of Div 2, as much as it sucks for them will be afforded the opportunity to ply there wares in Div 1 next year should they push out to 3 divisions. And as mentioned in the SFNL thread, Cranbourne have all but been confirmed to start in Div 1 from what I hear.

I do like the clubs you have named, so I'll use that as a basis and model of the 8 - 8 - 10 I suggested (using current ladder positions in MPFNL anyways)

Dromana Tigers
Frankston YCW
Pines Pythons
Mt Eliza Redlegs
Cranbourne Eagles
Frankston Bombers
Sorrento Sharks
Langwarrin Kangaroos

Red Hill FNC
Bonbeach Sharks
Narre Warren FNC
Seaford Tigers
Mornington FNC
Karingal Bulls
Beaconsfield
one of ***

Somerville FNC ***
Devon Meadows FNC ***
Chelsea FNC ***
Pearcedale Panthers ***
Edi - Asp FNC
Hastings FNC
Crib Point FNC
Tyabb FNC
Rye FNC
South Mornington FNL
Frankston Dolphins FNC
Peninsula OB
You left Pakenham out, don't think Beaconsfield would join

Last edited:

Dromana Tigers
Frankston YCW
Pines Pythons
Mt Eliza Redlegs
Cranbourne Eagles
Frankston Bombers
Sorrento Sharks
Langwarrin Kangaroos

Red Hill FNC
Bonbeach Sharks
Narre Warren FNC
Seaford Tigers
Mornington FNC
Karingal Bulls
Beaconsfield
one of ***

Somerville FNC ***
Devon Meadows FNC ***
Chelsea FNC ***
Pearcedale Panthers ***
Edi - Asp FNC
Hastings FNC
Crib Point FNC
Tyabb FNC
Rye FNC
South Mornington FNL
Frankston Dolphins FNC
Peninsula OB
Rosebud currently in D1 around 7th on the table, no chance Carrum PL should be in D2…….they battle in SFL D3. Carrum would lose to Edi Asp by 20 goals and you have the Eagles entrenched in D3.
Your structure not too bad but a fair way out on teams standings.

Rosebud currently in D1 around 7th on the table, no chance Carrum PL should be in D2…….they battle in SFL D3. Carrum would lose to Edi Asp by 20 goals and you have the Eagles entrenched in D3.
Your structure not too bad but a fair way out on teams standings.
I didn't quite know the non MPFNL teams so was unsure outside Cranbourne where they would place. Narre Warren be a good shout to start in D2. The others, really unsure about although CPL are a current D1 SFNL team so a fair option for D1 in MPFNL

I didn't quite know the non MPFNL teams so was unsure outside Cranbourne where they would place. Narre Warren be a good shout to start in D2. The others, really unsure about although CPL are a current D1 SFNL team so a fair option for D1 in MPFNL
CPL are far from a current D1 SFL team 🤣🤣🤣

Cranbourne will start in Div 2 if accepted .
They need to get to 28 clubs for it to work to make a 10-10-8 comp.
Will not have a bye in Div 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Need 75% of clubs to agree 6 against so I doubt any clubs will be accepted and definitely not Narre or Cranny. My understanding is if there are clubs accepted in won’t be until 2025

I can not see the clubs accepting any clubs in, in the foreseeable future.
Although at present clubs like Rye, Seaford, Tyabb, Crib Point and even Hastings need a lower division to "reset".
Some smart businessmen on board at Rye but, looking at the options, the heart will over rule the head with them. Can not see Seaford ever wanting to drop so low, can not remember them being the 2nd worst club in the league.

It will be no clubs, or 4, if clubs look at their long term future. (CPL, Dolphins, Sth Morno to Div 3 with the above 5 mentioned & Cranny to Div 2 to have 10,8,8.)

I can not see the clubs accepting any clubs in, in the foreseeable future.
Although at present clubs like Rye, Seaford, Tyabb, Crib Point and even Hastings need a lower division to "reset".
Some smart businessmen on board at Rye but, looking at the options, the heart will over rule the head with them. Can not see Seaford ever wanting to drop so low, can not remember them being the 2nd worst club in the league.

It will be no clubs, or 4, if clubs look at their long term future. (CPL, Dolphins, Sth Morno to Div 3 with the above 5 mentioned & Cranny to Div 2 to have 10,8,8.)
Post #51 I gave a rough division breakdown Gelder….would be pretty close to that except maybe no Narre or Peninsula O.B in D2.

Depending on how the voting process is structured, my guess is this will be VERY hard to get up. There's so many variables.

• What happens if one new club is admitted?
  • Two new clubs?
  • Three new clubs?
  • Four new clubs?
  • Five new clubs?
  • Six new clubs?
  • At what point is the third division triggered?
  • Who goes into the third division? Who gets relegated?
  • Are all new clubs starting in Division 3? Won't the strong clubs just walk D3 and D2 for a few years, making uncompetitive so we can't get promoted?
  • If they're starting higher, which of us gets the boot downwards to make way for them?
  • What is the go in Division 3? What's the salary cap? Too low and the players will be picked off by higher clubs paying more. Too high and the bottom clubs won't be able to pay it, making it uncompetitive... it's meant to be a lower level for clubs that need it
Some of these questions might very well be answered but if there's so many unanswered... people don't vote for uncertainty - even a little bit of it, not shitloads!

If I was running this vote I would approach it this way:

• Make the vote ONE question with a lot of certainty. Do we admit these all of these four clubs and create a third division: CPL, Dolphins, South Mornington, Cranbourne
  • Ideally I'd replace Cranbourne with another Peninsula or Bayside club to take out the geography thing - but doesn't look like there's any takers
  • Forget Pakenham and Narre, it will just encourage more clubs to vote no due to geography.
  • It will be 10-8-8 - any further expansion can then be addressed on its merits in future years
  • Division 2 will be the Top 7 clubs plus Cranbourne (putting Cranbourne in D3 will be uncompetitive and defeat the purpose)
  • Division 3 will be the bottom 5 D2 clubs plus CPL, South Mornington and Dolphins
  • Spell out the exact D3 details re salary cap and everything
  • Leaves D1 totally unaffected which make those 10 clubs way more likely to vote yes

I don't buy the geography thing with Cranbourne. It's within 25km of 80% of the rest of the MPNFL clubs.

I think it should be voted on as a group of clubs so the 3rd division can get going. What does Div 2 look like if 2 or 3 clubs get voted in? Does Div 1 become 12 teams as well?

Clubs presenting this week to MPFNL, Graham Sherry has stated that 4 or 6 clubs to ideally come in at same time to form basis of 3rd division.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Newman from Mornington FC takes a great mark against Edithvale-Aspendale on 12 August 2023.

Last QUARTER game-day scenes from the Mt Eliza v Frankston YCW RESERVES match played on 12th August 2023.

Last half game-day scenes from the MPFNL Seniors Division 2 match between Mornington v Edithvale-Aspendale played at Frankston Oval on Saturday night 12th August 2023.

Great Marks from the Mt Eliza v Frankston YCW game on 12 August 2023 at Emil Madsen Reserve:

No from Sorrento, Rye, Rosebud, Somerville, Seaford (why would they want to go to 3rd division, a mighty proud club) Tyabb, Crib Point.

I'm tipping that all 6 clubs will be told, NO THANKS!

I reckon they’ll come in.
The mail is that enough clubs dont eant a 3rd division and will not vote any clubs in.
Sherry did state that they need to get 4 or 6 clubs in together to get a 3rd division up.
I^d be shocked if any clubs are admitted.

The local footy show spoke to the red hill president about it. It was interesting what he said
A chance for clubs to reset, survival.....have some success... makes sense. I like what he stands for....but his fellow southern clubd are not fond of him nor the ideas for the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back