Moore v Hipwood v Curnow

Who will be better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Curnow didn't play for 2.5 years and is coming off 7 knee injuries.
That's true. Its pretty incredible how well he has come back this year. Amazing to see what can happen when a player is finally fit and can show how good they are.

Also still doesnt change the fact that in years where they played equivalent number of games Hipwood kicked more goals. This is the first time that Curnow has actually outperformed Hipwood (which he significantly did). And its a year that Hipwood is returning from his own knee.

I honestly hope they both remain fit and Hipwood can lift to the level Curnow has gone this year (his finals show he can do it). I just think he isnt as far behind as some people claim and there is lots of time in their careers to hopefully continue

That's true. Its pretty incredible how well he has come back this year. Amazing to see what can happen when a player is finally fit and can show how good they are.

Also still doesnt change the fact that in years where they played equivalent number of games Hipwood kicked more goals. This is the first time that Curnow has actually outperformed Hipwood (which he significantly did). And its a year that Hipwood is returning from his own knee.

I honestly hope they both remain fit and Hipwood can lift to the level Curnow has gone this year (his finals show he can do it). I just think he isnt as far behind as some people claim and there is lots of time in their careers to hopefully continue

In 2017, Curnow played 21 games and Hipwood 20 - Hipwood kicked 10 more goals, so he won that year.
In 2018, Curnow played 20 games and Hipwood 22 - Hipwood kicked 2 more goals, but they averaged the same amount.

Since then Curnow has barely played, and when he has, he's outperformed Hipwood based on averages.

So Hipwood has actually outperformed him in 1 season - when they were both 19 yr olds. Weird flex to say this is the first time Curnow has gone past him.

Hippy has gone to another level this finals series. We always knew he was incredibly talented but now he's finally putting it all together, and it's truly scary.

Obviously, Moore was the worst KPF of the lot: but I'm hoping the poll results aren't a reflection of where people rate the three as of now.

Curnow one of the best forwards in the league, Moore on of the best defenders in the league surely pretty neck and neck.

Hipwood having one hell of a finals series so far but still hasn't had the breakout star year the other two have had yet. (No disrespect, I think next year we have a good chance of seeing Hipwood having that season.)

Curnow one of the best forwards in the competition this year, Let’s see if he can keep it up.

Moore one of the best defenders in the competition had a very good year. Would be my pick out of the 3.

Hipwood can’t hold a candle to the two above currently.

Reading the earlier pages it read like Hipwood was going to be the next Buddy.

Last edited:
Curnow one of the best forwards in the competition this year, Let’s see if he can keep it up.

Moore one of the best defenders in the competition had a very good year. Would be my pick out of the 3.

Hipwood can’t hold a candle to the two above currently.

Reading the earlier pages it read like Hipwood was going to be the next Buddy.
Excellent take on this topic.

Hipwood is not even a shadow on Curnow and Moore has excelled as a gun down back.

Early pages are laughable really. 🤣

Curnow, Moore, then Hipwood for me.

Not very much between Curnow and Moore for me, though. Moore has been the premier defender for the Pies for a while now, and I wager he’d slot into any other side as their #1 defender, too.

Hipwood isn’t that far behind, but Curnow’s just genuinely freaky. Hard competition. He’s more freaky than the King twins for me (saying a lot, I know - but it’s true). While I would pick the King twins over Hipwood, and have Hipwood and McKay as pretty much neck and neck.

Not very much between Curnow and Moore for me, though. Moore has been the premier defender for the Pies for a while now, and I wager he’d slot into any other side as their #1 defender, too.

Hipwood isn’t that far behind, but Curnow’s just genuinely freaky. Hard competition. He’s more freaky than the King twins for me (saying a lot, I know - but it’s true). While I would pick the King twins over Hipwood, and have Hipwood and McKay as pretty much neck and neck.
Moore is a top 3 AFL defender

Curnow is a top 3 AFL forward

Good call

Hipwood and Mckay neck and neck, f*ck me when did Harry get so sh*t? Won a Coleman 2 years ago and takes as many contested marks in a game than Hipwood does in a season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Hipwood still even in this convo??

Hipwood is a better forward than Moore. Curnow is obviously the best player of the three. Shame Eric did his ACL when he did. Still a very good key forward - will likely kick close to 50 before the year is out.

Is Hipwood still even in this convo??
Don't think this is a convo at all. Hipwood is 2nd to Daniher and Moore is a backman now.

Had a look at the stats and Hipwood/McKay are very equal while Daniher isn't too far behind Curnow.

Charlie just taken it to another level entirely. Clearly the best key forward in the comp. Moore a top 3 key defender. Hipwood is a good player but not in the same conversation as these two.

Most posts in this thread just show that speculation is very fun but pointless in the end. I was just glad Curnow got back on the park, couldn’t have tipped this. If he maintains this level for 5-6 years he will be knocking on the door of best 5 or so to play for Carlton. Big ask though given his injury record.

Hipwood will not even be remembered in 10 years time.
A bit like Quintin Lynch and Drew Petrie, that's the difference in talent compared to the other two in this poll.

Hipwood will not even be remembered in 10 years time.
A bit like Quintin Lynch and Drew Petrie, that's the difference in talent compared to the other two in this poll.
In fairness if you compare Lynch's best year (2006) to Curnow's last season it's pretty close (arguably Lynch's is better):
Goals - Lynch (65) v Curnow (64)
Disposals - Lynch (364) v Curnow (264)
Marks - Lynch (143) v Curnow (126)

Obviously, Curnow's taken his game to another level this year, and I don't consider Lynch at the same level but he sure as heck has produced better than Hipwood has to this point (who has not indicated he can kick anything like 65 goals in a season).

In fairness if you compare Lynch's best year (2006) to Curnow's last season it's pretty close (arguably Lynch's is better):
Goals - Lynch (65) v Curnow (64)
Disposals - Lynch (364) v Curnow (264)
Marks - Lynch (143) v Curnow (126)

Obviously, Curnow's taken his game to another level this year, and I don't consider Lynch at the same level but he sure as heck has produced better than Hipwood has to this point (who has not indicated he can kick anything like 65 goals in a season).
Lynch was no superstar but he played some really good footy for your mob. Not just goal wise but if I remember correctly in the years after he played further up the ground as a mobile CHF and good a lot of the footy for a big fella and delivered inside 50 well with that massive boot of his.

Back