Autopsy Mid Table Freo beats Mid Table Bulldogs 95-71

Remove this Banner Ad

I think baku will be ok... I see a big development year for him, short term pain for some long term gain.

Buku just needs time to feel like a fully fledged AFL player which will bring confidence and consistency. How many games has he played?

Also a few more reps in the gym to build his body to handle impact better

Buku has played 17.

(Coincidentally it's the same number that Baku has played.)

I agree with you both. Just a bit of experience and perseverance required. Will come good in the longer term.

Buku has played 17.

(Coincidentally it's the same number that Baku has played.)

I agree with you both. Just a bit of experience and perseverance required. Will come good in the longer term.

We should try the old jumper swap between Baku and Buku to confuse the opposition.
Worked against Essendon with Wheels and GJ back in the day! 😄

Reminds me of a joke: Buku, Baku and Baker walk into a bukary...

We should try the old jumper swap between Baku and Buku to confuse the opposition.
Worked against Essendon with Wheels and GJ back in the day! 😄

Reminds me of a joke: Buku, Baku and Baker walk into a bukary...
Dog forbid we get Bucks as a coach!

I'm a little bit sceptical about the future development of a player who is on an AFL list for six years and is already 24 years old. I know defenders sometimes take longer, but there's also the nagging thought that if he was to magically get better as a player, it would have been far more likely at an age where it's typically witnessed in players. Why shouldn't people say what you see is what you get and what you will get with him?

So my question is what are the coaches and defenders doing about it. Why didn't they say if they try and isolate Khamis as deep defender, do the swap with O'Donnell or Jones. That's what good teams like Geelong do. I'm still not buying that all these marks were taken against Khamis. He is 1 defender out of 6. What about our forwards and midfielders who let Freo waltz it out of defensive and through the middle with little pressure.
Agree, to the eye on tv it looked bad for him but the poor bastard was one out many times and caught wrong footed….but where were his mates?

There was one mark to Wayne Treacy where it was Khamis and i think Bramble defending….where were the rest of them?

I was critical of his performance, but on a second watch, he was let down by his mates many times

Mike Whitney's test debut was at 22yo (2 tests). Didn't play his third test until the age of 28, with his best cricket coming between the ages of 30 and 32.
I've often looked at Buku onfield and thought he's a dead-ringer for Whitney, mainly because of their similar smiles.
Buku has time on his side. And the post-career potential as a TV presenter. Whatever happened to Tania Zaetta anyway...?

(Sorry, on some post-surgical pain killers atm, the doors of perception have squeaky hinges...)

Mike Whitney's test debut was at 22yo (2 tests). Didn't play his third test until the age of 28, with his best cricket coming between the ages of 30 and 32.
I've often looked at Buku onfield and thought he's a dead-ringer for Whitney, mainly because of their similar smiles.
Buku has time on his side. And the post-career potential as a TV presenter. Whatever happened to Tania Zaetta anyway...?

(Sorry, on some post-surgical pain killers atm, the doors of perception have squeaky hinges...)
🤣 yep, if you didn't know you'd swear they were twins

I'd like some of those pain killers you're on

I'm a little bit sceptical about the future development of a player who is on an AFL list for six years and is already 24 years old. I know defenders sometimes take longer, but there's also the nagging thought that if he was to magically get better as a player, it would have been far more likely at an age where it's typically witnessed in players. Why shouldn't people say what you see is what you get and what you will get with him?
I assume you're talking about Khamis.

Do you not think he's already gotten better as a player than he has been previously?

I assume you're talking about Khamis.

Do you not think he's already gotten better as a player than he has been previously?
Not really. Maybe a tad, not a huge amount. We've just prioritised a different gamestyle to try different things tactically from last season, requiring selection of players with a different balance of skills. There were times that we had Keath and Gardner, both tall units, with Jones last year.

Pre game interview with Fyfe was interesting.

Said dogs midfield played totally different to west coast and that they had worked out ways of countering our midfield.

Seemed pretty confident as well.
yep, fyfe does that. can tell whether he thinks we will win and is usually right.

also, did the same with himself. can tell how effective he will be before each game. sometimes i think its a cycle he drives himself. poor belief = poor performance. big belief = big performance.

said a lot of interesting things through out this week after the eagles loss. i rang dad during the week and said fyfe believes in himself again. he believes he can become the best version of himself again. so i don't think this was an anomaly.

hes adapted and playing a slightly different role. fyfe has long had a criticism of having no defense. so they have cooked up a role where he provides defence but utilizes his strengths. its almost like a contested defensive sweeper. he doesn't need to have the same burst pace, won't have someone following him,..etc. he basically said i think i've worked out where to run. i also believe i will get better.

so anyway, i think you might have gotten unlucky with this one.

yep, fyfe does that. can tell whether he thinks we will win and is usually right.

also, did the same with himself. can tell how effective he will be before each game. sometimes i think its a cycle he drives himself. poor belief = poor performance. big belief = big performance.

said a lot of interesting things through out this week after the eagles loss. i rang dad during the week and said fyfe believes in himself again. he believes he can become the best version of himself again. so i don't think this was an anomaly.

hes adapted and playing a slightly different role. fyfe has long had a criticism of having no defense. so they have cooked up a role where he provides defence but utilizes his strengths. its almost like a contested defensive sweeper. he doesn't need to have the same burst pace, won't have someone following him,..etc. he basically said i think i've worked out where to run. i also believe i will get better.

so anyway, i think you might have gotten unlucky with this one.

Fyfe plays a good game against a Bulldogs missing Libba, do you think his confidence might have come from this?

You won, maybe because your team concentrated on playing a game of football, unlike last year where your players (ironically those you got from other teams) focused more on hassling Lobb, it was very amateur and shows why your club is so unsuccessful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, to the eye on tv it looked bad for him but the poor bastard was one out many times and caught wrong footed….but where were his mates?

There was one mark to Wayne Treacy where it was Khamis and i think Bramble defending….where were the rest of them?

I was critical of his performance, but on a second watch, he was let down by his mates many times
I was at the game. I reckon the poor bastard would’ve had more sprints than the rest of our defenders (besides Jones) combined. They very deliberately played through him, while the other defenders were covering other leads or protecting space elsewhere.

0% of the loss should be attributed to our defenders. That was an absolute failure of the midfield once again, both in terms of pressuring the ball carrier, winning clearances and, when in possession, failing to deliver cleanly to the forwards.

Fyfe plays a good game against a Bulldogs missing Libba, do you think his confidence might have come from this?

You won, maybe because your team concentrated on playing a game of football, unlike last year where your players (ironically those you got from other teams) focused more on hassling Lobb, it was very amateur and shows why your club is so unsuccessful.
no, he had 26 and 13 clearances in the derby.

We gave Gardner a great many more games at a similar age to prove whether or not he’s an afl level player. He was leaking goals while he got to an okay-ish level.

Buku has a far higher ceiling. We have minimal intercept ability as is. Hopefully we stick by him.

Just shouldn't be used as a key defender, he's a good medium interceptor, but we still need another key, whether that can be O'Donnell or Busslinger remains to be seen.

no, he had 26 and 13 clearances in the derby.
I am talking about Freo’s game against the Bulldogs from last year, which I attended, where your players were more focused on hassling Lobb, than actually playing tge game, amateur hour.

How dare you bring facts to one of my posts!

Please don't do that again.

It was weird how few changes we seemingly saw around the ground on the weekend. It stood in stark contrast to the previous week where we saw examples of Richards, Garcia and West roll through the middle of the ground. It's almost like he said yeah nah. I didn't like that.
It seriously feels like our coaches only game plan 1 in every 4-6 weeks. The rest is just "trust the process".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back