Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to consider how poor North Melbourne are, is it because their coach is extremely poor or do they have a crap list. Who on this earth would consider their coach crap

Now equate that to Adelaide

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alistair Clarkson WAS a great coach. Plenty of great coaches went on too long (Blight, Pagan, Malthouse etc). I think he’s doing a bad job at North.

Not sure would be interesting to see how he would handle a club with a solid list of players

Guess we may never know

What we do know is he changed our game plan from an attacking high scoring one to a slow keep possession game plan which saw us go from top scoring and just missing finals to the lowest scoring side and no chance of making finals after 6 weeks.

We also know he stuck with a slow vanilla midfield, we know he defended it and then when we he eventually changed it we beat Carlton away.

What we do know is he changed our game plan from an attacking high scoring one to a slow keep possession game plan which saw us go from top scoring and just missing finals to the lowest scoring side and no chance of making finals after 6 weeks.

We also know he stuck with a slow vanilla midfield, we know he defended it and then when we he eventually changed it we beat Carlton away.

Taylor Adam's said on footy show they reckon being able to run lots of players through the midfield and other roles is a competitive advantage of theirs. We have the opposite approach, need continuity within the midfield role.

Last edited:
I have been anti Nicks since about 2021, but I can't understand why people are upset with his press conference?

Bloke is fighting for his career, had a 50 point win - what do you expect him to say.

Guy is an absolute buffoon, and there is a lot more to talk s**t about with him than a press conference after a 50 point win.
His coaching career is done. He'll be sacked late next year at the latest.

and knowing our shithole club they'll waste another whole year with him in charge.

Taylor Adam's said on footy show they reckon being able to run lots of players through the midfield and other roles is a competitive advantage of theirs. We have the opposite approach, need continuity with ing the midfield role.
I agree. During the Geelong dynasty, they had an enormous amount of versatility through there; Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Selwood, Ling, Chapman and Kelly all got regular runs through there. Byrnes, Stokes and Johnson could do it as well, the latter nearly winning the Brownlow as an exclusive midfielder in 2013. The enormous level of talent made them difficult enough, but their flexibility made them an even harder opponent.

I thought our intent to move the ball quicker from the back half was a lot better, but we said that against Carlton and then Nicks tightened it down again against Essendon, so remains to be seen how defensive he goes against the Power next week.
Ultra.

Now matter how you spin it, his game plan stinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been anti Nicks since about 2021, but I can't understand why people are upset with his press conference?

Bloke is fighting for his career, had a 50 point win - what do you expect him to say.

Guy is an absolute buffoon, and there is a lot more to talk s**t about with him than a press conference after a 50 point win.
From his comments and those of Wright's, it feels as though they're doubling down on what has pushed us into the mire

No learning, no development, no way forward

Following the s**t sandwich recipe

If you only look at his last few years at Hawthorn and time at North Melbourne so far, what would you say he’s done that justify his standing as a great coach?

Why would I do that though? If I ignore Matthew Nicks last few years I could justify a position that he might be a good senior coach.

From his comments and those of Wright's, it feels as though they're doubling down on what has pushed us into the mire

No learning, no development, no way forward

Following the s**t sandwich recipe
Lucky for them many of our supporters enjoy the s**t sandwich.

I think people just want him gone.

Because he’s locked in for 3 more years on big money.
Big money is debatable. If they gave that muppet any more than 450k a year they should resign as a board. He will be sacked this year regardless of contract. Nothing surer.

Taylor Adam's said on footy show they reckon being able to run lots of players through the midfield and other roles is a competitive advantage of theirs. We have the opposite approach, need continuity within the midfield role.
We have plenty run through the middle.
But that’s usually pre game run throughs and the end of each qtr.

Big money is debatable. If they gave that muppet any more than 450k a year they should resign as a board. He will be sacked this year regardless of contract. Nothing surer.
Showdown should be boycotted if he brings murphy back.

Why would I do that though? If I ignore Matthew Nicks last few years I could justify a position that he might be a good senior coach.

I’m not saying Clarkson wasn’t a good coach. I’m saying that I don’t think he has it anymore, what would what he did in the 2000s and first half of the 2010s have to do with his current ability to coach?

Post was referring to Clarkson not Nicks.

Stubborn will cost him his job. If we can see what the hell need to change, there's no reason why he doesn't. Just make the expected changes and if it doesn't work then he won't get heat on him compared to trying to double down on the stuff that has proven not to work so he end up getting even more heat on him as they are likely not to work, classic definition of "insanity".

I’m not saying Clarkson wasn’t a good coach. I’m saying that I don’t think he has it anymore, what would what he did in the 2000s and first half of the 2010s have to do with his current ability to coach?

Post was referring to Clarkson not Nicks.

Having a read of the north Melbourne board 99% of their supporters understand they simply don’t have the list a couple of numpties blame Clarko

What do we think of our position

Having a read of the north Melbourne board 99% of their supporters understand they simply don’t have the list a couple of numpties blame Clarko

What do we think of our position

North are a basketcase at the moment but Clarkson hasn't been there as long as Nicks, so there's naturally going to be more belief in his ability to turn it around. Even in a best case scenario rebuilding from nothing through the draft is very hard and takes ages.

Back