Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

North are a basketcase at the moment but Clarkson hasn't been there as long as Nicks, so there's naturally going to be more belief in his ability to turn it around. Even in a best case scenario rebuilding from nothing through the draft is very hard and takes ages.

He's barely been in charge of the group. Last year was interrupted by the racism farce and we're 6 games into this season.

Last edited:
Having a read of the north Melbourne board 99% of their supporters understand they simply don’t have the list a couple of numpties blame Clarko

What do we think of our position

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Had Nicks not played under performing senior and clearly non AFL standard players for 50% of last year then we probably make Finals even with the s**t goal umpire decision so......

Had Nicks not played under performing senior and clearly non AFL standard players for 50% of last year then we probably make Finals even with the s**t goal umpire decision so......

We have a poor list stop trying to make excuses if we get a new coach all will not be fixed north have one of the best in the business are we that different to north. We have been trying to rebuild just not picking up the right players

Get rendell back or another gun

We have a poor list stop trying to make excuses if we get a new coach all will not be fixed north have one of the best in the business are we that different to north. We have been trying to rebuild just not picking up the right players

You do know Rendell has passed away. Backline is very good with Murray, Worrell, MM, Hinge and Keane. Midfield has added much needed class with Dawson, Soligo and Rankine/Rachele in there but still missing a powerful burst midfielder (Pedlar?) and need a ruckman if Thilthorpe play mainly forward otherwise need a KPF for Walker's retirement.

You do know Rendell has passed away. Backline is very good with Murray, Worrell, MM, Hinge and Keane. Midfield has added much needed class with Dawson, Soligo and Rankine/Rachele in there but still missing a powerful burst midfielder (Pedlar?) and need a ruckman if Thilthrope play mainly forward otherwise need a KPF to replace Walker.

Then all is great in crow land and maybe clarko could get us a flag and get number 5 for himself

Having a read of the north Melbourne board 99% of their supporters understand they simply don’t have the list a couple of numpties blame Clarko

What do we think of our position

I think Nicks in his second year is doing a better job than Clarko is now. No one is expecting North to be winning lots of games, but there’s no clear method or plan with what they’re doing. Their defensive system is a complete mess, they’re a bunch of guys who kick chase. I don’t see how Sheezel and McKercher are really benefiting from what they’re doing.

If I think back to 2021-22 there was a clear emphasis to what we were doing. Defend well one on one, invest heavily in pressure, focus on being strong in clearances and move the ball forward with numbers. Last year there was a shift towards changing angles and kicking more in the ball movement and just generally being more creative. For some reason we’ve regressed in that area and it kind of seems by design which would be my criticism. His selection calls are also actively harming our development. There should be some direction from the board to say that if we are going to win a flag around 2026-30 then we need guys like Curtin and to a lesser extent Dowling to have 75-125 games under their belt. We need to identify who our guys are going to be moving forward and putting games into them.

I don’t really see a clear method to what Clarko’s doing and it was the same at his later years with Hawthorn. Just ask any of their supporters and they’ll tell you. My point is that he is being supported purely because of what he has done in the past, and I seriously question whether he still has that ability.

I think Nicks in his second year is doing a better job than Clarko is now. No one is expecting North to be winning lots of games, but there’s no clear method or plan with what they’re doing. Their defensive system is a complete mess, they’re a bunch of guys who kick chase. I don’t see how Sheezel and McKercher are really benefiting from what they’re doing.

If I think back to 2021-22 there was a clear emphasis to what we were doing. Defend well one on one, invest heavily in pressure, focus on being strong in clearances and move the ball forward with numbers. Last year there was a shift towards changing angles and kicking more in the ball movement and just generally being more creative. For some reason we’ve regressed in that area and it kind of seems by design which would be my criticism. His selection calls are also actively harming our development. There should be some direction from the board to say that if we are going to win a flag around 2026-30 then we need guys like Curtin and to a lesser extent Dowling to have 75-125 games under their belt. We need to identify who our guys are going to be moving forward and putting games into them.

I don’t really see a clear method to what Clarko’s doing and it was the same at his later years with Hawthorn. Just ask any of their supporters and they’ll tell you. My point is that he is being supported purely because of what he has done in the past, and I seriously question whether he still has that ability.

North Melbourne's list is worse than any list handed to Nicks

They have zero good players with more than 100 games of experience. They have like 2 or 3 good players with more than 50 games of experience. It's a complete shambles.

Their defense is the worst group of defenders ever assembled at AFL level

Their captain and leadership group is a joke. Luke McDonald is a worse captain than any captain for the Crows ever

Their forward line lacks quality in every position. Their outside players and line breakers are trash.

All things considered the one area Clarkson actually has any talent is the midfield and that part isn't going too badly. Not great, but given their experience they haven't been disgraced. As soon as the opposition win the ball though North have no quality or ability to stop them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Bucks and Kane this morning and how Geelong push up a player around the contest and attack from defence. Kane’s legitimate question was doesn’t that then expose your forward line to extra defenders as they kick it in, basically what’s happening to us.

Bucks said Geelong, GWS and one other team he mentioned which escapes me, they don’t just kick it in. They run it in with overlapping handball which stops dump kicking it in to opposition defenders.

He also questioned the importance of clearances and contested ball on the current game.

Basically the opposite of Nicks game plan. He does push a forward up around the contest but then we are moving it slowly by kicking it. When do we see overlapping run? Our low bounce count is another example that we don’t run.

Nicks said last week we pride ourselves on being a scrappy team, contested ball is our DNA. Effectively he’s created a s**t game plan for the modern day.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? you’ll be pleased to know I’m back on the Bucks train.

Poor taste.

People act like Adelaide is a small town. In comparison to Melbourne and Sydney maybe but Adelaide would be the 7th biggest city in the USA. It is not small. Adelaide has a bigger population than Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston. So time to get out of this small town mentality. Adelaide is fast becoming the best city in Australia. Anyone acting like Adelaide is some sort of country town is mistaken.

Only posters that have left Adelaide and moved to QLD on this board say that

People act like Adelaide is a small town. In comparison to Melbourne and Sydney maybe but Adelaide would be the 7th biggest city in the USA. It is not small. Adelaide has a bigger population than Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston. So time to get out of this small town mentality. Adelaide is fast becoming the best city in Australia. Anyone acting like Adelaide is some sort of country town is mistaken.

You need to get out of Adelaide and realize its a big world out there.

Bigger population than Dallas?!?!?!? 7th biggest city in the USA? There are 5 bigger cities in California alone.

Adelaide's metropolitan population is 1.32 million people. It would be the 47th largest city in the USA behind Salt Lake City in Utah.

You think he’s lost the ability to coach?

Nicks keeps going on about values, how players need to learn the values to come in etc etc. Anyone know what they are exactly?

From the snippets I have seen, it seems like a real 'team first' mantra, but to the extreme. Sacrifice your game for the better of the team. 'Keep shape' at the expense of your personal stats. Team goals rather than trying to be the hero.

Anyone else have a better understanding?

Adelaide is a dusty bus stop in the middle of a nowhere that is often left off of maps … I would guess hardly anyone outside of Australia could name it as an Australian city.

Doesn’t mean it’s a crap place to live - work- grow up … but let’s not over-reach with where it stands on the world stage eh?

Adelaide is a dusty bus stop in the middle of a nowhere that is often left off of maps … I would guess hardly anyone outside of Australia could name it as an Australian city.

Doesn’t mean it’s a crap place to live - work- grow up … but let’s not over-reach with where it stands on the world stage eh?

Yeah, it's not like it's world renowned for wine or anything

Listening to Bucks and Kane this morning and how Geelong push up a player around the contest and attack from defence. Kane’s legitimate question was doesn’t that then expose your forward line to extra defenders as they kick it in, basically what’s happening to us.

Bucks said Geelong, GWS and one other team he mentioned which escapes me, they don’t just kick it in. They run it in with overlapping handball which stops dump kicking it in to opposition defenders.

He also questioned the importance of clearances and contested ball on the current game.

Basically the opposite of Nicks game plan. He does push a forward up around the contest but then we are moving it slowly by kicking it. When do we see overlapping run? Our low bounce count is another example that we don’t run.

Nicks said last week we pride ourselves on being a scrappy team, contested ball is our DNA. Effectively he’s created a s**t game plan for the modern day.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? you’ll be pleased to know I’m back on the Bucks train.
So, like how we played last year.......

Nicks keeps going on about values, how players need to learn the values to come in etc etc. Anyone know what they are exactly?

From the snippets I have seen, it seems like a real 'team first' mantra, but to the extreme. Sacrifice your game for the better of the team. 'Keep shape' at the expense of your personal stats. Team goals rather than trying to be the hero.

Anyone else have a better understanding?
It's just going to be team first, hard work, defensive pressure, contested ball etc. Stuff that is important to every club.

Don’t disagree with the overarching premise but those population comparisons aren’t really apples with apples.

Back