Opinion Majority of Flag Winning Team has gone Backwards in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Amazing we won the Flag last year and was Well Deserved but lot of Players from the Flag Team has gone Backwards on there last years Form at AFL Level

Only Players I think have Played better are Frampton and Noble. Though Frampton last 2 Games not been as good

Nick and Josh Daicos and Darcy Moore started slow but since the Bye they playing lot Better.

The Rest I feel playing worse then they did last Season

Footy is a hard caper. It's hard to back it up each year.
When you have players toward the end too, it makes it harder.

Then you factor into other teams getting better

We have a lot of senior players not performing which doesn't help.

Despite finishing a game and percentage clear, we were not head and shoulders above the pack. All it took was other teams improving to close the gap. Add to that the loss of Murphy & McStay and the inevitable slowing down of our veterans, and its not surprising we've come back to the pack. We've also had a pretty energy sapping start to the season.

I think its clear we won a flag ahead of expectations. Externally, that has probably inflated where we actually are, but internally, I think they know exactly where our list is at, and I am confident they know what they are doing for our long term good.

At the start of the season I expected us to finish in the bottom half of the 8. I haven't seen anything so far to change that view either way.

Despite finishing a game and percentage clear, we were not head and shoulders above the pack. All it took was other teams improving to close the gap. Add to that the loss of Murphy & McStay and the inevitable slowing down of our veterans, and its not surprising we've come back to the pack. We've also had a pretty energy sapping start to the season.

I think its clear we won a flag ahead of expectations. Externally, that has probably inflated where we actually are, but internally, I think they know exactly where our list is at, and I am confident they know what they are doing for our long term good.

At the start of the season I expected us to finish in the bottom half of the 8. I haven't seen anything so far to change that view either way.
We where pretty much on same Level as Blues/Power/Demons/Lions

Yeah I thought winning the Flag is Miles better then most people Expected from us since Fly Took Over

Early start to the season, playing 3 games in 12 days and yesterday a 5 day break.

We will get better Dave. Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very True.

Hope we doing the Opposite to last year in Regular Season as in 2023 started on Fire but ended poorly outside of us Smashing Bombers in Final Game of the Season. Got us back in Form

Just a reminder that GWS were 4 and 8 after round 12 and made the top 4. I think Carlton done something similar but who cares

I am not saying what happen from now on - More talking on Games we have Already Played

We where pretty much on same Level as Blues/Power/Demons/Lions

Yeah I thought winning the Flag is Miles better then most people Expected from us since Fly Took Over

I don't know how you'd put us on the same level as teams that actually have key forwards (Blues and Lions).
Look at all the best teams this year and they all have that in common. GWS, Carlton and Geelong ALL have key forwards. Sides on the next rung (Swans, Demons, Us and Bombers) have 1 sort of key forward and then several hard working smalls.
If the Bulldogs ever sort themselves out, with their array of talls they'll be another threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Amazing we won the Flag last year and was Well Deserved but lot of Players from the Flag Team has gone Backwards on there last years Form at AFL Level

Only Players I think have Played better are Frampton and Noble. Though Frampton last 2 Games not been as good

Nick and Josh Daicos and Darcy Moore started slow but since the Bye they playing lot Better.

The Rest I feel playing worse then they did last Season
Cameron has improved. Elliott and Checkers are playing really well. The mids have been down.

It happens to all premiership sides, some faster than others. We had over 10 players on the wrong side of 30 so there is a cliff coming. Whether it's this year or next, we'll see.

No side can perform well if they don't have talented youth coming through. Talent comes mainly from the draft in the form of top ten picks and all premiership sides have won on the back of top ten picks (except maybe Geelong).

Hawthorn: Franklin, Roughhead, Lewis, Hodge were the catalyst.
Richmond: Dusty, Cotchin, Rance
Melbourne: Oliver and Petracca
Pies 2010: Pendles, Thomas, Reid, Sidey (just outside of 10) Beams
Pies 2023: Daics, Moore, Quaynor, DeGoey.
2024: Carlton or GWS are now seeing the fruits of top 10 picks.

You get the picture that most superstars come from the pointy end of the draft. Collingwood haven't had a top ten pick in years (outside of Daicos) and we'll slowly (or rapidly) go backwards because of it.

Thank god we won 2023. They're bloody hard to win so when your window is open you need to make the most of it. Brisbane supporters must be feeling shite because if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be.

Go Pies :)

Very True.

Hope we doing the Opposite to last year in Regular Season as in 2023 started on Fire but ended poorly outside of us Smashing Bombers in Final Game of the Season. Got us back in Form
2010 we started very slowly and people started questioning the team. We build nicely from about the mid way point winning every game except the last. The rest is history.

I think the main issues this season are:

Clubs have worked us out a bit, normal behaviour for clubs to go to school on the game of the reigning premier.

Injuries have hurt us a bit, McStay and Murphy are huge losses.

Too many over 30 year olds slowing down. Steele, Crisp, Mitchell have all been well below their best, even poor in several games with the odd good game here and there. Add WHE and even Howe to that list and we have a problem. We can't transition all of these guys out at once and it is going to be an enormous challenge to replace them all.

Depth not quite there: McRae, AJ, Reefe, Harrison have all showed glimpses but we really need one or two blokes who have been knocking on the door to come in , get a run of games, and cement a position in the team.

The last two years have been the best ride any footy fan could hope for. Be thankful for what the club has given, and enjoy what is to come.

If things don’t go our way, then so be it.

The last two years have been the best ride any footy fan could hope for. Be thankful for what the club has given, and enjoy what is to come.

Anyone willing to march on the club next week if we lose? We could turn up during training and superglue our hands to the goal posts and centre square, along with any footballs we find. Or superglue yourself to the player whose form most disappoints you and get right in their face with your abuse and advice.

Anyone willing to march on the club next week if we lose? We could turn up during training and superglue our hands to the goal posts and centre square, along with any footballs we find. Or superglue yourself to the player whose form most disappoints you and get right in their face with your abuse and advice.
we could park a rental truck across the car park exit so the players cant get their cars out - that will teach them!

Too true. Fly went all in with the list in the last 2 years, when a lot would have been thinking a rejig was needed. It was bold and gutsy, a fabulous ride and Fly became a coaching winner. It was unbelievable. There may be a bit of a price down the track but the price was clearly worth it.

2010 we started very slowly and people started questioning the team. We build nicely from about the mid way point winning every game except the last. The rest is history.
Not quite true. Think you may be thinking of the Malthouse/Milne incident in round 3 where the Saints touched us up. But this was our only slip up early, 1st round we touch up the Dogs who were the pre season flag favs.

Truth was we started 2010 strongly, Saints game was our only loss in the 1st 7 rounds. We had 6 wins and were on top of the ladder. Compared this season and we are 3.5 wins and outside the 8 so a big difference.

Just a reminder that GWS were 4 and 8 after round 12 and made the top 4. I think Carlton done something similar but who cares
Though they didnt finish top 4 after the home and away which history says pretty clearly you need to do to win the flag. Carl were 2.5 games and % off 4th and GWS were 3 games and %

Dogs in 2016 are the only premier in the 24 seasons of the current finals system who didn't finish top 3 after the H&A season. I think thats where our slow start leaves us in real trouble re making the top 4 and having a crack at the flag this year. Losing as many games early as we have makes it very difficult to make the top 4.

Since this finals system came in in 2000, 24 seasons, only 3 teams have managed to finish top 4 after H&A who didn't win 4 or more games in the 1st 7 rounds. 3 out of 96.

1. Collingwood 2009 3 wins(strange year 2 teams undefeated after round 7, next 12 teams were on 3 or 4 wins)
2. Swans 2005 3 wins (went on to win flag)
3. Geelong 2004 3 wins

After round 7 this year looks like we are probably 10th, with a big gap to the top 6 teams. We have to beat the Blues this week to stay just in the hunt. Will be such a great win if we can pull it off. Needing to make up 2 or 3 wins on teams at this stage of the season doesnt seem that much on paper but history says its a very difficult task.

Not quite true. Think you may be thinking of the Malthouse/Milne incident in round 3 where the Saints touched us up. But this was our only slip up early, 1st round we touch up the Dogs who were the pre season flag favs.

Truth was we started 2010 strongly, Saints game was our only loss in the 1st 7 rounds. We had 6 wins and were on top of the ladder. Compared this season and we are 3.5 wins and outside the 8 so a big difference.

Though they didnt finish top 4 after the home and away which history says pretty clearly you need to do to win the flag. Carl were 2.5 games and % off 4th and GWS were 3 games and %

Dogs in 2016 are the only premier in the 24 seasons of the current finals system who didn't finish top 3 after the H&A season. I think thats where our slow start leaves us in real trouble re making the top 4 and having a crack at the flag this year. Losing as many games early as we have makes it very difficult to make the top 4.

Since this finals system came in in 2000, 24 seasons, only 3 teams have managed to finish top 4 after H&A who didn't win 4 or more games in the 1st 7 rounds. 3 out of 96.

1. Collingwood 2009 3 wins(strange year 2 teams undefeated after round 7, next 12 teams were on 3 or 4 wins)
2. Swans 2005 3 wins (went on to win flag)
3. Geelong 2004 3 wins

After round 7 this year looks like we are probably 10th, with a big gap to the top 6 teams. We have to beat the Blues this week to stay just in the hunt. Will be such a great win if we can pull it off. Needing to make up 2 or 3 wins on teams at this stage of the season doesnt seem that much on paper but history says its a very difficult task.
Then we lost two straight. Got touched up by Geelong who along with St Kilda were the main contenders. And a draw to Melbourne. I guess my point was, we didn't really clicked into gear until the back half of the season.

Then we lost two straight. Got touched up by Geelong who along with St Kilda were the main contenders. And a draw to Melbourne. I guess my point was, we didn't really clicked into gear until the back half of the season.
No doubt. We became the clear standout team in the 2nd half of the season. Arguably the best Collingwood side since the 30s if you link in 2011.

However that strong start to the season lays the base. If you dont have it its highly unlikely to be a successful season. The way 2024 stands out in difficulty to me would be thus

In the 1st 7 rounds we likely end up being the 10th ranked team in the comp. In the remaining 16 games, if we want to get a top 4 spot, we have to be ranked the best or at worst 2nd best team.

Its a tall order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back