Trade + FA targets 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t usually post in trade threads because I don’t pretend to follow other teams closely enough……

However I read today that Bailey Smith is one of three players the Dogs have identified as contract priorities. Yet they have only offered him a two year deal.

Doesn’t sound to me like he’s a priority!!!!!!

Maybe his manager wanted a shorter deal, knew he would be on lower $ so he has to bet on himself, and then be ready to demand more closer to Tassie coming in?

Too long a bow?

Battle and Taberner for bookends (FA's) one of Smith or Holmes, and Moyle just to be greedy.

Taberner is the right size… never seems to play a full season though, is he very injury prone? Or just in and out of the selected side?

Taberner is the right size… never seems to play a full season though, is he very injury prone? Or just in and out of the selected side?
Yeah it's not ideal, without a 1st rounder we're bargain basement shopping again, but if a McStay or Mihocek goes down at least you'd have someone as back up, Johnson and Krueger are Hail Mary's at this stage and Reef is a 3rd tall at best.

Matt Taberner?

He has been very injury prone over the years. He can play when he's available but never strings together more than half a dozen games. Freo are similar to us in that they have never found a replacement for Travis Pavlich. Taberner must also be in his 30's by now so I can't see us taking the risk while adding more years to our players average.

Taberner will be 32 in 2025. No thanks.
That doesn't seem to be an impediment to the goal square gorillas these days unless you're Travis Cloke of course.
I only see him as handy backup if we can't pull off a miracle for a JUH or McDonald, and I really don't think we'll get that miracle, but yeah as someone else pointed out his availability is almost Kruegeresque and that's a problem too.

That doesn't seem to be an impediment to the goal square gorillas these days unless you're Travis Cloke of course.
I only see him as handy backup if we can't pull off a miracle for a JUH or McDonald, and I really don't think we'll get that miracle, but yeah as someone else pointed out his availability is almost Kruegeresque and that's a problem too.
Just seems a bit counter productive to be replacing older players with ... older players.

The mere mention of Travis Cloke gives me PTSD.

If keys are playing longer than ever then I guess we don't need to worry about finding a replacement for an ageing Checkers with another ageing forward .. 😉
If Checkers was the 3rd tall he'd rip it up.

Just seems a bit counter productive to be replacing older players with ... older players.
I agree to an extent but looking through the players we can actually afford (primarily unrestricted Free Agents) there just isn't much else, I'd love a McDonald but that seems a perennial hope. Nobody was too thrilled with McStay and the howling over 600K seems a bit hollow now given we don't win the flag without his finals games against Melb and GWS.
In the end it's what we can afford because there's absolutely nothing developing in the Magoos.

I agree to an extent but looking through the players we can actually afford (primarily unrestricted Free Agents) there just isn't much else, I'd love a McDonald but that seems a perennial hope. Nobody was too thrilled with McStay and the howling over 600K seems a bit hollow now given we don't win the flag without his finals games against Melb and GWS.
In the end it's what we can afford because there's absolutely nothing developing in the Magoos.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on bringing in an injury prone 32 year old I suppose.

I definitely wasn't against recruiting McStay, particularly at 27-28 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are set to loose the following through retirement or delisting in the next 2 years.
Pendles
Steel
WHE
Elliott
Cox
Howe
Mitchell.

Checkers / Crisp might be spent at the conclusion of 2025 season.

With no first round in the 2024 draft that limits us to being able to obtain a non Free Agent top end talent. Eg Holmes as he’d cost a top 10 pick.

With that in mind I only see for this upcoming Draft / Free agency us being able to enter the FA market to dramatically improve our list.

Cam Zurhaar RFA stands out as a Third tall to take over from an Elliott both players play as marking targets.

Josh Battle RFA could cover as a poorer man’s Howe.

Liam Duggan FA costs nothing and would fit into our back 6 easily.

Conor Nash : RFA. 198 cm hybrid midfielder and also has played down back in his career . Elite athlete. Could even make a great wingman to replace steel and used as an outlet with his height.

Noah Cumberland FA would be a min chips dept option. His good is very good but lacks consistency. Cost nothing.

Current Players on the list that need to improve or can fill roles over the next 2 years and beyond.

Finn McRae : verdict still out make or break this season.

Ed Allen : I believe he makes it as a 150-200 gamer and has a hybrid build about him. Would like him to become a quicker burn rather that the current slow burn.

Reef: I believe he makes it.

Richard’s: verdict still out. Could hopefully be a Broomhead without the injuries.

Sullivan: verdict still out.

Ryan : verdict out but hope still there.

HH : verdict still out but hope again still there.

Demattia: Will take a key midfield role.

Dean / Johnson: verdict still out.

I’d go Zurhaa, Battle, Nash and Duggan this year, then attack next year with full compliment of draft picks and FA.

Would love Holmes but I just can’t see how we get it done.

We are set to loose the following through retirement or delisting in the next 2 years.
Pendles
Steel
WHE
Elliott
Cox
Howe
Mitchell.

With no first round in the 2024 draft that limits us to being able to obtain a non Free Agent top end talent. Eg Holmes as he’d cost a top 10 pick.

With that in mind I only see for this upcoming Draft / Free agency us being able to enter the FA market to dramatically improve our list.

Cam Zurhaar RFA stands out as a Third tall to take over from an Elliott both players play as marking targets.

Conor Nash : RFA. 198 cm hybrid midfielder and also has played down back in his career . Elite athlete. Could even make a great wingman to replace steel and used as an outlet with his height.

Noah Cumberland FA would be a min chips dept option. His good is very good but lacks consistency. Cost nothing.

Current Players on the list that need to improve or can fill roles over the next 2 years and beyond.

Ed Allen : I believe he makes it as a 150-200 gamer and has a hybrid build about him. Would like him to become a quicker burn rather that the current slow burn.

Richard’s: verdict still out. Could hopefully be a Broomhead without the injuries.

I’d go Zurhaa, Battle, Nash and Duggan this year, then attack next year with full compliment of draft picks and FA.

Duggan about to sign a multi year deal to become an Eagle for life. :(

I reckon Smith is the go, not as expensive as Holmes because of the knee and he seems to have a real connection to Nick.

Pendles
Steel
WHE
Elliott
Cox
Howe
Mitchell.

Nash and Cumberland would be doable

Just a thought but, Will Phillips isn’t getting a go at North and looks to be set as a fill in for injured mids.
As a third pick he’s got talent and may fill in for Mitchell when he retires . Not sure what he’s worth but wouldn’t be cheap I’m guessing.
He was also a pies supporter growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haz might play the FJN role of the HBF

Don’t know why people keep getting hung up on the cost of Holmes…pick 26 will get it done

Zurhaar was shocking today. I also think he is a bit of a selfish footballer - a bit similar to Stringer?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Just a thought but, Will Phillips isn’t getting a go at North and looks to be set as a fill in for injured mids.
As a third pick he’s got talent and may fill in for Mitchell when he retires . Not sure what he’s worth but wouldn’t be cheap I’m guessing.
He was also a pies supporter growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not sure about Phillips but I hope Wardlaw is on our radar. The kid is a jet and would go a long way in starting the upcoming midfield rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back