Preview Lions v Suns Sunday 5th May @ 7.10 pm The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns Sunday May 5th @ 7.10 PM

Pq0T5PhYWc5BHqfAQ7s98WlQN8gla-VvNo6Dvw5VXSl67gRH41W3XLIaySa29AjVER_Gzq_jGMhP09B_1JO8lmLEcRxamdbUh1Z89AatAqXIpIfqXF5vkYS4BzZ4YHFgP6MyXBVnGnrbWZlIt0TIt2c
V
e2w9P-NI67bNiW7uRaXxaVcXAuacVsg_w25w4gkI1gyyvgqk1Rn3jJJzsTiN3PIHnmtov5plCDNuw65pHdE8WdypRiyzd4PfMsWPY4EReG9NMekOG3XmuRnbd0MgZeEuTpsoCMODrlAtxR62sc7qe88

There is a bonus at the end of this Preview.
Have we ever had a Sunday Night 7.10 pm start time before?
Monday is public holiday in Queensland for those interstate BF people.

Last year results:
Round 10: The Gabba @ 7.30 pm Lions win 107 - 64 Daniher 4 goals. Attendance 23,286.
Round 20: Carrara @ 4.35 pm Lions Loss 55 - 96 Cameron 2 goals. Attendance 14,097.

Suns 2024
The Suns have a new triple premiership tigers coach in Damien Hardwick signed on for 6 years.
He has arguably taken over the best young list in the competition.
I think this being his first year and playing the youngsters may help us on the weekend.
He will continue to play the teenagers to see where they likely fit into his long-term plans.
With that in mind below is how their young players with under 20 AFL games have played including todays game.

Player & PositionGames & AgeDisposal AverageMarks AverageGoals AverageTackles AverageHeight
Weight
W Graham
Mid
4 games
18 years
141.80.28.2202 cm
81 kg
E Read
Fwd/Ruck.
4.71.01.00.3202 cm
92 kg
J Walter
Fwd
6.42.01.22.0195 cm
97 kg
J Rogers
Fwd
151.00.52.0172 cm
68 kg
B Uwland
Def
9.83.20.01.5188 cm
89 kg
S Clohesy
Wing
186.21.02.8189 cm
81 kg

The Suns AFL form to date reads win at home lose away. Let's hope that form continues.
I won’t mention our home record though.
They have lost all away games: Dogs 48 points, GWS 28, Swans 53
However, they have won all their home games: Tigers 39, Crows 6, Hawks 53, Eagles 37
The senior players below we have to watch as usual.
Witts in the ruck is always an issue for Oscar and all other rucks in the AFL for that matter.
The Suns three midfielders in Anderson, Rowell and Miller are in fine form.
Millar not really tagging under Hardwick. Hopefully that continues for Neales sake.
Ben King is an excellent kick but a low possession player. He kicked 3 goals 2 behinds from 10 disposals vs Eagles.
King went with Andrews in our 41-point loss in Round 20 to quell his intercept marking.
That worked for the Suns as Andrews was down on his usual output that day.
To make it worse King only got 7 disposals but kicked 5 goals 1 behind from just 6 marks.
Others playing solid footy are Flanders, Fiorini, Powell, Collins, Mac Andrew., Ainsworth & Lukosius.
Jake Rogers in his 2nd game impressed with a zippy 22 disposals 1 goal.
Looks like a team player with the most goal assists 4, because he is honoring good leads.

The Lions
Sitting 2-5 is not great and we just have to win this week.
The last two games were very hard to take for fans, especially BF posters.
In my opinion the midfield and forwards have been the reason for those losses, not our defenders.
So logically we need to make a few changes in these two areas.
I will assume Ah Chee misses and Oscar comes in so that's 2 changes.
Tunstill as sub played a half of footy with only 4 disposals so he is likely to miss selection.
Tunstill in the VFL v Sharks game only had 4 disposals again in the 1st half. He ended up with 17 disposals.
So, which players do I think are ready to step up from VFL level.

VFL Side v Southport Sharks
They won by 9 points in a very entertaining and seesawing game of AFL.
For mine the standouts were Reville, Brain, Smith, Sharp and Morris but overall, a good team effort.
With Lloyd moving to defense and Fort missing they had a much smaller forward line.
The team looked a much better outfit without all those talls clogging up the forward 50.
I understand that the Lions need to get games into Lane, Smith, Ryan, Morris & Lloyd.
However, if they make the 8, they should consider dropping one of Lane, Smith or Fort.
As such it was the smalls contributing the best scoring
Those being Ben Thomas 3, Sharp 2, Manly, McPherson, Lyons, Abberley all with 1 each.
The talls contribution coming from Morris 2, Smith, Ryan, Lane all with 1 each.
Morris has shown enough in his 5 games to be considered as a marking tall forward.
But would they drop Gardiner?
Reville just has to be included this week in my opinion.
Sharp looks a better AFL player this year with 3 years in the AFL system.
He has a stronger body now and does not get pushed off the ball as easily.
Ryan only if they drop Hippy which is unlikely. Ryan is very slow around the ground.
But he is quick off the mark when leading into space and does take a good mark. Solid kick for goal.
Smith a chance if we decide on two rucks or if Oscar is not available Fort will need help v Witts.
Brain a half back but playing well.
Lyons got his share of disposals but looked slowish on defending again. Sealed the win with his goal close to the final siren.

Player
Position
AFL Games & AgeVFL
Disposal
Average
VFL
Marks
Average
VFL
Goal
Average
VFL
Tackle
Average
Height
Weight
Reville0
215.80.023.8185 cm
80 kg
Sharp10
219.20.82.6182 cm
76 kg
Morris0
145.42.20.8191 cm
90 kg
Ryan3
114.71.71.3200 cm
91 kg
Smith0
19 h/outs
4.20.752.6206 cm
98 kg
Brain0
176.60.01.6183 cm
83 kg

How To Fix Our Forward & Midfield Issues in the AFL Side.
Midfield: Introduce someone with pace and agility.
Forwards: A strong mark that kicks straight and applies some defensive pressure.

McCarthy, Cameron, Lohmann & Rayner to up their game pressure and tackle count.
The tall forwards also do their bit on pressure in that area.
Start converting fairly easy opportunities. Think things through on set shots.
Players kicking inside 50 to lower their eyes and make better choices.

The Possible Changes
Midfield: Consider Reville and Sharp
Forward: Consider Morris, Smith

So, who do we pick from this group if they decide to drop Gardiner which is unlikely.
Gardiner with only 5 disposals could get better in his new position but can we wait till that happens.
Witts usually gets the better of Oscar, so Smith comes into play as a 2nd ruck.
Or we stick to one ruck and bring in Morris assuming Oscar is available.
I prefer one ruck as we are slow enough already. Midfield just needs to adjust to a losing ruck.
Reville must get a full game next week or I will have to consider going over to the dark side on Fagan selections.
Sharp has been disappointing most times he has been promoted. His last full game was May 2023.
This year he looks much stronger in contests and not getting easily pushed off the ball.
However, he is playing well and deserves consideration.
Interestingly in the last 2 years he played at AFL level, we won 7 games and only lost one by 10 points.
Maybe we need a lucky charm player.

My Changes
Out Fort in Oscar. If Oscar is still not available, definitely Smith to help Fort out.
Out Ah Chee in Reville. Reville to play Baileys role.
Out Tunstill in Morris or Smith
Out Gardiner (unlikely) in Morris or Smith

If Oscar is available, that is really only 2 or 3 changes to best 23 after two horrible losses.

Changing The Players Positions to Add More Pace.
Zorko starts the game at half back. Move Wilmot to wing/midfield.
This allows Reville to take Baileys role as a forward/midfielder where he plays VFL.
This also allows Fletcher to get some midfield time as well if they wish.
I would like to see Wilmot, Berry & Fletcher as our 3 wings for the remainder of the year.
Brain is now a serious backup to that half back position where we have lots of options.
I don’t think that hurts our backline or team structure much with Zorko covering Wilmots position.
I can only see a positive in that move, but the coaches may disagree as Wilmot is playing very well at half back.
But would there be much difference if Zorko takes that spot. Zorko's two full games at half back were great.

Who Needs to Step Up this Week to Get the Win.
The players leadership group and the coach at the selection table.
Our forwards and midfielders.

Conclusion.
The season really is on the line in this game and a win at all costs is a must.
We should account for a young Suns team at The Gabba to record our first home game win.
Hardwick wants to win games, but I think in his first year as coach he wants to get players to play to his game plan.
Also granting games to youngsters to see how they fit into his future side.
Should this be the case then expect no hard tag on Neale which will help greatly.

Lions by 40 plus points being a bold prediction on our recent form.

Bonus For BF Readers
The channel Seven Weekender show just did a Lions segment and are offering a double pass to the Lions Premiership Lounge this Sunday.
It looks an impressive set up and i am sure some BF poster would like to win a pass.
Maybe you can catch a repeat of the program on 7plus.

To win your own double pass to the Premiership Lounge, visit our Facebook page.

Last edited:
Excellent, in depth preview.
Like the idea of a few changes... Think some competition for spots is much needed.
One word springs to mind....
PERCENTAGE!!!
Top four is still in play.... So let's turn it on... Turn it around.
Lions by A LOT.

Great preview, thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if three - or even four - of the five sides we've lost to so far are top 4 at the end of the season. Yes we could have won a couple of those games but they are good sides with flag potential.

But this one is different and could really be a season-definer for us.

Miller's got Neale's number. King plays very well on Andrews. So that's our two best players taken care of. Then there's Rowell. And that huge new guy, is it Walter? I suppose we'll put Payne on him so it could be a six-goal break-out performance lol. And Witts wins the ruck so that will suck too.

They are fast and they beat us hollow last time. They need an away win and this fixture lets them drive up the road and beat last year's grand finalists who are on their knees.

Meanwhile what do we get, oh we beat the Suns at home big deal, unless we absolutely thrash them by 15 goals which I don't see happening.

Sorry to be a downer but if they win this by 4 or 5 goals then we're in serious trouble.

sharp should come in for ah chee

thought he was much improved when in the seniors last year, was using his running to help defensively and even getting into good spots for transition

needs to tidy up kicking at afl level still but think he could be a major asset for our team defence

I think this game is about Chris Fagan. (love the man)

Does he continue to show loyalty to his main squad and just tinker around the edges with fringe players or does he do something to send a message to the senior players that 'coasting' is just not enough.

How does Fagan overcome the half time fade outs. How does Fagan get a motivated team running back onto the ground after half time. How does Fagan get his team to fight games out.

If Fagan can answer these question I continue my, man love of him. Same, Same again and I may listen to his critics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know what the ins and outs should be and we know that they aren’t what will happen.

Have the feeling we are going to get smashed. GC know we aren’t anywhere near what we have been, now have a good coach and belief. They will run away with it comfortably.

Nice preview, agree wholeheartedly.
Midfield has a need for speed. Wilmot or Reville please!!
The forward line needs a fresh face. I would like to see hippy dropped, and bring Smith in. Leave Gardiner.

I would like to see Fletcher get some opportunities on the ball. Has some great traits that we're sorely missing in our clearance players. Probably too young to spend a lot of time on ball, but think he and Hugh rotating would work.

Expecting a lose because I can't see where our improvements comes unless we get a massive injection of energy and enthusiasm. The writing is on the wall with the teams mindset. I don't know if they've ever had the ability to fight through adversity.

Was wondering how to pronounce 'Reville' ... thought I might check out his roster watch thread first and discovered that the commentators have more than one idea (not helpful)...

So is it pronounced:

• Revel (like a party)
  • Revile (like time to get out of bed army boys)
  • Revile (like you have no idea what you are talking about and should just shut up)
  • Revile (like Cecil B De Mille)
  • something else?

Guessing he will be doomed at AFL commentator level in any case 😞.

Oh and what is his nickname?

Was wondering how to pronounce 'Reville' ... thought I might check out his roster watch thread first and discovered that the commentators have more than one idea (not helpful)...

So is it pronounced:

• Revel (like a party)
  • Revile (like you have no idea what you are talking about and should just shut up)
  • something else?

Guessing he will be doomed at AFL commentator level in any case 😞.

Reville as in devil probably..I think his nickname should be The Whisk

I know it’s a public holiday eve in Brisbane but Sunday night footy can get in the bin.
I think it is a good experiment by the AFL.
In the end it will come down to ratings and crowd numbers.
The last game of the round so that may boost interstate ratings

The Brisbane ratings may not vary much though.
The average Gabba attendance for the last 3 years is 20,471.
We have a lot of members but I doubt the Sun's game is high on the 3 game memberships.
Last year attendance was just 23,286 before that 21,467 & 16,670.

On Lenovo TB-X606F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it is a good experiment by the AFL.
In the end it will come down to ratings and crowd numbers.
The last game of the round so that may boost interstate ratings

The Brisbane ratings may not vary much though.
The average Gabba attendance for the last 3 years is 20,471.
We have a lot of members but I doubt the Sun's game is high on the 3 game memberships.
Last year attendance was just 23,286 before that 21,467 & 16,670.

All this is reasonable but I'm in Melbourne so will have to work the following day :thumbsdown:

So is it pronounced:

• Revel (like a party)
  • something else?

Guessing he will be doomed at AFL commentator level in any case .

Hopefully he plays and we find out.
Lucky BT won't get the game or he would find another way to pronounce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back