Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s no coincidence we picked up hill and Ginnivan two years running.

I don’t believe for a minute that Ginni engineered his exit. It was Collingwoods decision mutually agreed. He just saw the writing on the wall that he wasn’t providing the things that the coaches were looking for.

By that logic, Moore or Murphy should be worried because we've picked up Frampton, Dean and Eyre in recent seasons, DeGoey et al because we've added Lipinski, Mitchell, Sullivan and Bytel. Clubs always seek to improve their lists and depth. Incumbents either put the work in to remain relevant or tuck their tails between their legs and seek greener pastures. On available evidence, I'm happy to take McRae at his word, I'll leave the conspiracy theories to you. Ginnivan got some feedback he didn't like, and at the same time his manager dropped a 4 year deal from Hawthorn on his table, he took the greener pastures route because it was easier and the smart thing to do.

Why would I have mentioned him before? Hardwick's game was the sort of game that you might say, "OK, now I see why we gave away a Round 1 pick".

If he kicked 4 goals a game for 92 during the home and away season? Yeah I reckon I’d trade a first rounder for that.

Ahh so you’re using hindsight then, picking the player de jour and using him as an example.
You’re talking to a poster who thinks you just hang out til the 11th hour and get him for a pick in the 30s.

We’ve got Wrighty’s replacement sorted.

Isn't the answer. Again showed flashes. If he played a game like Harwick, then I'd change my mind.

Depends on what the question is.

If Schultz’ role is to work within and complement our current forward structure - bereft as it is of anyone approaching a true KPF - and to apply pressure and kick goals, then he’s getting there.

He was never gonna be the saviour of our forward line - the same forward line that kicked a GF winning score six games ago. He’s a piece of the puzzle, where the dynamic will change up again once McStay returns (she says with all fingers crossed…)

Why would I have mentioned him before? Hardwick's game was the sort of game that you might say, "OK, now I see why we gave away a Round 1 pick".
Yeah if only Schultz had have played full forward and taken a few uncontested chest marks when their defence was caught out, it would have made him a steal.

It's a bit of a slap in the face when you consider what we gave up for Schultz versus what we received for Ollie Henry, particularly when comparing the respective contributions each would be capable of giving to our side.
It’s a bit of a sliding doors moment, if Ollie stays we might not have Titch and we don’t know what other things might have been set in motion. I’m taking the flag, Ollie didn’t want to be here, we did what we did and won a flag.

I personally think the Shultz move will be looked at favourably in hindsight.

Good to see some production, last night was more in line with what I expected from him. Hopefully it continues. Was it the right move to get him? Only if the club fully believed they would be contending for a flag this year. I guess they did? He's kind of the cherry on top, unfortunately the cake has been eaten and the players are slow and bloated.

Good to see some production, last night was more in line with what I expected from him. Hopefully it continues. Was it the right move to get him? Only if the club fully believed they would be contending for a flag this year. I guess they did? He's kind of the cherry on top, unfortunately the cake has been eaten and the players are slow and bloated.
Of course we believed we would be contending for the flag. I'd be assuming that we still believe that.

The question is simple... Are we better with someone like Schultz in the side? That has to be a 'Yes'. He has played just four games in a new structure and a new environment and we all need to be mindful of that fact. He will improve and add more value to our side as the season progresses. Come the pointy end of the season I expect that Lachie will be prominent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting commentary during the game, a couple of times, they mentioned that “his role was to protect the corridor “ when the ball was rebounding from the forward 50.
If that is true, then getting on the scoreboard as well, he did his job perfectly.
I think his defensive work is more structured than someone like Beau, who is a hard chaser. Really critical to our setup

Interesting commentary during the game, a couple of times, they mentioned that “his role was to protect the corridor “ when the ball was rebounding from the forward 50.
If that is true, then getting on the scoreboard as well, he did his job perfectly.
The commentators mentioned some stats a few times after the first quarter indicating that we basically completely stopped Port entering their forward 50 from defensive 50 rebounds. Port looked lost trying to exit their def 50 after quarter time. Great team effort in that regard and Schultzy looks more and more comfortable each week. There’s a lot more to remember regarding team tactics and roles than my playing days that’s for sure.

He was good today, his pressure was fantastic and linked up well. He's capable of much better and we will see it sooner rather than later

He was not good today wtf are people on?

The first half he was completely invisible. He is not dangerous at all in the forward 50. Only times he kicks goals is sneaking out the back and hoping for a turnover

Remove this Banner Ad

Back