Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

The Henry and Hill trades happened in the same trading period, so it’s reasonable to compare them.

Surely we should be comparing the Schultz and Ginnavin trades. Effectively we turned Ginnivan into Schultz.

The question is, was it worth it?

We won’t know the answer for a little while longer.
I think we will consider we got a large part of the answer today. Ginnivan is much younger and less experienced and has more opportunity to develop as a player. After the way posters in here have carried on about how we did well to be rid of Ginnivan, I can only hope that Ginnivan plays a horrible game and vindicates the views they expressed.

As you say, Hill played a blinder in the GF and proved an astute pick up. I am not arguing about his worth to the team as I believe he will come good when it counts.

As for Schultz, since seeing that photo of the girl in Adelaide, I keep spelling his name minus a 't', and have to correct myself before posting.

I think we will consider we got a large part of the answer today. Ginnivan is much younger and less experienced and has more opportunity to develop as a player. After the way posters in here have carried on about how we did well to be rid of Ginnivan, I can only hope that Ginnivan plays a horrible game and vindicates the views they expressed.

As you say, Hill played a blinder in the GF and proved an astute pick up. I am not arguing about his worth to the team as I believe he will come good when it counts.

As for Schultz, since seeing that photo of the girl in Adelaide, I keep spelling his name minus a 't', and have to correct myself before posting.
I think we will need to see how the season unfolds. Ginnivan had a pretty poor season last year and doesn’t look to have started all that well with Hawthorn.

Schultz too, has had a slow start with us. Hopefully we see a better game today.

So if we give up pick 1 we over pay And if it turns out to be pick 18 we still over pay?

You must be very hard to please.
See, you've touched upon the heart of the problem. When we picked up Schulz, we probably all figured the premiership this year was ours for the taking, and 18 was the likely value of our pick. Now we are to put it euphemistically not so sure that it isn't going to be a pick under 10. We seem to have made a habit of giving up future high picks, and a number of people aren't so sure that we are doing the right thing by our future teams.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody’s got one.

At the end of the day he’s here now and the trade is ancient history . If he turns out to be the player the club expects him to be (which he’s starting toshowing signs of) it’s irrelevant what we paid to get him. If he doesn’t, then the mistake was not the trade itself but that we traded for him at all.

Draft picks picks don’t win premierships. Players win premierships. We only need to look at some of our recent trade debacles as evidence that you can quickly overcome these perceived or assumed trade night losses.
I know a man that doesn’t have an arsehole.
It got stitched shut when he got a colostomy bag.

Not sure which bits you fail to understand?

Mediocre? Yep, a small forward whose best year was just 33 goals.
Wanted to go home? Pretty obvious that one
He understood it, but like the rest of us, assumed it was a joke.

A top ten pick guarantees us nothing.

For pick 10 (or thereabouts) we got a middle-aged guy who has elite endurance, applies fantastic defensive pressure and is capable of kicking 40+ goals in a season. From what I've seen he also has scope to play midfield.

He is unlikely to to kick as many goals in our forward line because of the number of smalls we have. As long as he continues to bring his effort he will be one of the first picked.

You only have to listen to how Fly and the players talk about this guy to realize how impressed they are with him.

Schultz has never kicked 40 plus in a season. That was Ginnivan in year 2.

Schultz is 30 goal a year type of which he has done it twice.

And a top 10 pick has a very high chance becoming a 200 gamer at the least at best a match winner.

Schultz has never kicked 40 plus in a season. That was Ginnivan in year 2.

Schultz is 30 goal a year type of which he has done it twice.
So, why did the club want him so much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard working pressure player mainly, who can hit the scoreboard.

I think they wanted Ginni out and saw an opportunity to upgrade the pressure side of the game by doing so.

Imo they could have backed in internal growth from either Harrison who's started the vfl well or Richards a longer shot hitting the scoreboard in VFL this year.

Harrison in particular could of been good in that pressure fwd role and developed cheaper keeping the picks.

He is a pie now, so no issue with him in the team. But as a trade and the decision to get him imo was not great.

Hard working pressure player mainly, who can hit the scoreboard.

I think they wanted Ginni out and saw an opportunity to upgrade the pressure side of the game by doing so.

Imo they could have backed in internal growth from either Harrison who's started the vfl well or Richards a longer shot hitting the scoreboard in VFL this year.

Harrison in particular could of been good in that pressure fwd role and developed cheaper keeping the picks.

He a pie so no issue with him in the team now but as a trade and the decision to get him imo was not great.
Fair call. I reckon he might also provide some input through the midfield. Losing Adams might also have made this trade more desirable. If he stays fit, he looks like a 100 game guy who can add to our mix.

I think we all need to move on from the cost.

This Schultz - Ginnivan discussion is getting pretty tedious. We apparently approached Schultz’s management about getting him as a FA at this end of this year, and we did it very early in 2023. His move in 2023 was driven by Schultz wanting to move back to Victoria, not us getting rid of Ginnivan. Ginnivan’s position at the club was never in question until Ginnivan and his manager made it so during the 2023 trade period. He was a required player until he requested a move.

In terms of why we’d look to recruit Schultz, he averages more disposals, more tackles, more tackles I50, more score involvements, more I50 entries, more R50’s, more 1%ers, and way more pressure. He’s a more complete player than Ginnivan. The AFL site’s stats listed him as “elite” by position prior to the move, that’s dropped to above average currently. In old school parlance, he’s a ******* good footballer. People have just become obsessed with trade cost and not been prepared to give him time to adjust.

This Schultz - Ginnivan discussion is getting pretty tedious. We apparently approached Schultz’s management about getting him as a FA at this end of this year, and we did it very early in 2023. His move in 2023 was driven by Schultz wanting to move back to Victoria, not us getting rid of Ginnivan. Ginnivan’s position at the club was never in question until Ginnivan and his manager made it so during the 2023 trade period. He was a required player until he requested a move.

In terms of why we’d look to recruit Schultz, he averages more disposals, more tackles, more tackles I50, more score involvements, more I50 entries, more R50’s, more 1%ers, and way more pressure. He’s a more complete player than Ginnivan. The AFL site’s stats listed him as “elite” by position prior to the move, that’s dropped to above average currently. In old school parlance, he’s a ******* good footballer. People have just become obsessed with trade cost and not been prepared to give him time to adjust.
It’s no coincidence we picked up hill and Ginnivan two years running.

I don’t believe for a minute that Ginni engineered his exit. It was Collingwoods decision mutually agreed. He just saw the writing on the wall that he wasn’t providing the things that the coaches were looking for.

Goals, pressure, tackles inside 50… Solid game today

Will possibly still end up costing us a top 10 pick

So did scharenberg, freeman and Stephenson…

Schulz will have a longer career at the pies than those three

For every player we over pay for there are more in Hill, Lipinski, Frampton, Cameron, etc that we trade in cheaply comparative to their value

Remove this Banner Ad

Back