Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all well and good - you may be right, you may be wrong. With the cattle we currently have though, the CEO has stated we should be competing at the top end and challenging for the flag. That seems a long way off right now.

Thats the same CEO that 80000 members by next year was achievable!

The jungle drums are beating for J-Lo now. I've been a defender of his coaching, even recently and in the past but not a fan of his personality and the way that feels as head coach. I personally think the downward spiral is occurring because I can't see how he radically shifts from what he thinks works which is what was happening in 2023 and shades of it creeping back in now. Far too cluttered in a rigid, paralyzing defensive mindset that numbs intuition, flair and improvisation even though system wise it can hold weight, it hasn't relieved the pressure valve of being able to score more freely, and it feels like the forwards are defensively trained to try and win the ball back rather than have the ball in the first place.

I know some key injuries have meant the personnel shifts haven't helped - some sh*thouse fixturing (standard AFL practise) and some alarmingly questionable umpiring also have to get thrown in the mix - but nor has Justin's refusal to identify and fix the problems with mid-forward connection, maximising entries and not just obsessing over stopping the opponent especially in the first quarters from getting off the chain, at the cost of your own abilities to run over the top. He feels like a coach that fears more than exercises courage and belief. 2 goals (or less!) maximum for every 1st quarter this season makes for horrendous reading!

This next game is huge and a challenge he needs to assimilate some courage into his belief system to express that the Dockers are "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!". A blitzkrieg descends upon you!

Of course, I'm exaggerating, my typical hyperbolic spin (I was born bored, apologies..) - and don't expect a tsunami, a win would help though.

But, there's that feeling....it's an awkward, uncomfortable and shifting in your chair sort of sensation. He loses this, and the unravelling begins.....as Sir Alex Ferguson once coined: "it's squeaky bum time"

Interesting observations.

The last AFL team to win a flag averaging 100 points in attack in the regualr season is hawks of 2013-5. Funny thing is, Every single premiership side after the hawks 2015 premiership side, Since 2016 when the dogs won, ever premiership side since 2016 didnt haverage 100 points in attack.

Hell the 2 grand final sides in 2018 was west coast (91 points in attack and concede 73 a game) and Collingwood (93 points in attack , concede 75 points a game), netheir side averaged 100 points in attack.

Hell fremantles 2013 AFL grand final side averaged 93 points in attack and concede 68 a game in the regular season.

Also I have no Issues on freo being a medium scoring side or Kick 11-15 goals on a good day. I see this years dockers side kick on average 12 goals a game.

But here is the thing... look at every grand final since 2000. How many of those grand finals have had the winner still won the grand final but still didnt score 100 points? I will name the years.... 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2020 and 2023.

9 times since 2000.

I wouldn't be so focused on 100 points. It is a nice round number, but scoring has decreased over the years. Everything needs to be judged against the rest within a particular season. Collingwood were 3rd for scoring in 2018 with 93 points. Freo in 2013 had about the same scoring power, but we were a very ordinary attacking side (ranked 12th) compared to the competition.

Why would you have no issues with Freo being a "medium" scoring side, when it is a proven fact that being a medium scoring side will almost certainly not be enough to win a premiership?

i was confident going into everygame, and until last week, that confidence was proven right. we had the opportunities and chances to be 4-0 despite some short comings on ground - that to my eye is credit to the game plan. limiting teams like port and carlton to 60 points DOES win you games, what loses them is poor kicking.

the foundations of our forward line, treacy, amiss and jackson, i believe are all reliable goal kickers in front of the sticks but theyre also at the beginnings of their careers. are there any other teams relying on a trio with so little experience? clearly needs some more time.

the pieces beside them are the real worry atm, they either arent able to get chances or more often than not stuff up the chances in incredible ways. freddy is still fumbly and inconsistent, he should be the cherry on top and not a core piece. walters is coming to the end. emmett is another young without much experience, has had very little impact this year, do we persist with him to develop him or give him the boot in search of immediate reward? switta brings a ton of pressure and a bit of dash with i50 stoppages, but outside of that does not impact the scoreboard at all, it is so demoralising for small forwards to not kick simple goals. banfield is a mixed bag, in a poor run of form in front of goal atm

this is all to say that this isnt the end product and there is more development to come, which i think most people acknowledged prior to the start of the season. weve also got some currency to inject some good talent.

horrific loss, and ive lost confidence in the team going forward but hopefully they can come out with a response this weekend and get back on track

Go back and look at the final scores in each of last years finals.

Any talk saying you have to be a high scoring team to do well in September is ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is trying to ignore the facts from the last 30 years that prove without any shadow of doubt that the top scoring sides almost always win the premiership. Lyon almost bucked the trend twice, but ultimately all that matters is what actually happened.

A low-scoring final does not mean a low-scoring team can win the flag. Don't conflate the two. For example Hawthorn were the highest scoring side in 2013, averaging 115 points. They scored much less than that in the GF because we made the GF a grind, but guess what ... they still won cause because they were a better offensive team and could make more of their opportunities.

If a poor offence was put in the Pies or Lions shoes on GF day, they would have only scored 50-60 points and lost comfortably. If that poor offence was playing Melbourne in the finals the Demons lost (cause of their offensive problems), they would have been lucky to score 30 or 40 points and again lost comfortably.

St Kilda went into the finals with the 15th ranked attack, and they were comfortably beaten by GWS despite having more inside 50's. And look at the Saints now. Still can't score.

Not sure if this should be a thread in it's own right, but will post here for now. I thought the "it's not who, it's how" analysis from Daniel Hoyne (Champion Data) on SEN was interesting yesterday. He believes the data demonstrates that our gameplan and style is not sustainable and losses like the weekend are actually a bit predictable. Troublingly for this week he view Dogs very differently. Time stamped links below.

"the reality is with Fremantle with how they play and the profile that they're dishing up at the moment it is not a sustainable profile that's going to take them to a prelim final weekend and results like the weekend shouldn't actually be a surprise because there's only so long that you can generate between 40 to 45 entries per week. We've talked about on this show that in their games the ball lives between the arcs it's a hard way to play for 23 weeks of the year. So having performances like that on the weekend I think are going to come probably a little bit more frequently than we actually think"

Freo:

Dogs:

This is aligned to the points I've seen made by quite a few astute posters in recent weeks, that our current gamestyle is too tough to sustain for even four qtrs let alone week in and week out. We are not generating enough entries and certainly not enough uncongested entries to give the forwards space to move into. There's a lot of focus on the foward line and if it is functioning, for mine at the moment the problem is more about our broader game style and structure and if that is sustainable.

We need a change.

Not sure if this should be a thread in it's own right, but will post here for now. I thought the "it's not who, it's how" analysis from Daniel Hoyne (Champion Data) on SEN was interesting yesterday. He believes the data demonstrates that our gameplan and style is not sustainable and losses like the weekend are actually a bit predictable. Troublingly for this week he view Dogs very differently. Time stamped links below.

"the reality is with Fremantle with how they play and the profile that they're dishing up at the moment it is not a sustainable profile that's going to take them to a prelim final weekend and results like the weekend shouldn't actually be a surprise because there's only so long that you can generate between 40 to 45 entries per week. We've talked about on this show that in their games the ball lives between the arcs it's a hard way to play for 23 weeks of the year. So having performances like that on the weekend I think are going to come probably a little bit more frequently than we actually think"

Freo:

Dogs:

This is aligned to the points I've seen made by quite a few astute posters in recent weeks, that our current gamestyle is too tough to sustain for even four qtrs let alone week in and week out. We are not generating enough entries and certainly not enough uncongested entries to give the forwards space to move into. There's a lot of focus on the foward line and if it is functioning, for mine at the moment the problem is more about our broader game style and structure and if that is sustainable.

We need a change.

Hoyne is a bit basic in his use of stats and seems to let the story drive the stats rather than the other way round. He also uses the word "unsustainable" a lot without being specific on what it means. Sounds technical enough to just brush over.

Although somewhat interestingly, this year no team has won the week after playing us as yet. We should get a percentage cut of the points from the teams playing our prior opponents.

Hoyne is a bit basic in his use of stats and seems to let the story drive the stats rather than the other way round. He also uses the word "unsustainable" a lot without being specific on what it means. Sounds technical enough to just brush over.

Although somewhat interestingly, this year no team has won the week after playing us as yet. We should get a percentage cut of the points from the teams playing our prior opponents.

He has a point.

Only once have we had more than 50 inside 50’s or more inside 50’s than the opposition.
This despite having more possession than our opponent in 4 of 6 games.

For a team with such a poor rate of inside 50’s and such a poor forward line we simply must give them more opportunities.

Our method is so slow and s**t we then expect these poor forwards to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

We need faster more direct movement to give them a less clogged forward line, and creat uncertainty in the defence.

Guys like Sharp and Stanley become weapons when this is done, Simpson, Freddy and Emmett can get to work, if we play them that is

I don't disagree but in this context I think the use of unsustainable is relatively clear. He is saying we are working too hard between the arcs and not generating enough quality entries. I think it's pretty difficult to argue with this. The results in Adelaide have been described as 'unlucky' but I think this potentially more a case of us generating our own 'bad luck'. I was at both games live and I certainly didn't have the optimism I have seen on here from many that because we 'pushed' 2 good teams to the end that our gameplan therefore stacks up.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the Dogs will get hold of us on Saturday night. If they play the way they did last weekend we could be in serious trouble...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has a point.

Only once have we had more than 50 inside 50’s or more inside 50’s than the opposition.

For a team with such a poor rate of inside 50’s and such a poor forward line we simply must give them more opportunities.

Our method is so slow and s**t we then expect these poor forwards to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

We need faster more direct movement to give them a less clogged forward line, and creat uncertainty in the defence.

Guys like Sharp and Stanley become weapons when this is done, Simpson, Freddy and Emmett can get to work, if we play them that is

He has a point.

Looking at the replays, we do get some quick ball movement going a bit more than is advertised. It can tend to break down in the centre and at half forward with our transitions, be good to improve there.

That's all well and good - you may be right, you may be wrong. With the cattle we currently have though, the CEO has stated we should be competing at the top end and challenging for the flag. That seems a long way off right now.
Sadly he after membership growth so he speaks the hyper faith

JLo needs to take notes from Kingsley. They play a similar defensive game that we do. All the players rush back to defend the D50 to outnumber the opposition. The difference is that as soon as they get the turnover all the players run and handball through the midfield. Their gameplan seems like the perfect balance between offence/defence whereas ours is more defensive centric.

JLo needs to take notes from Kingsley. They play a similar defensive game that we do. All the players rush back to defend the D50 to outnumber the opposition. The difference is that as soon as they get the turnover all the players run and handball through the midfield. Their gameplan seems like the perfect balance between offence/defence whereas ours is more defensive centric.
Kingsley looks the goods. Giants are humming. Mind you, Brisbane are utter trash this year. Long way to go yet

Helps when you have a full team of top end talent at the right age demographic

Didn't help Cameron all that much. Kingsley shows what difference a coach can make. Took him about half a year. It's basically the same players that Cameron had. The only personnel change of note that I can think of is losing Taranto/Hopper versus Callaghan (only a 1st year player under Cameron) developing. They lost Hill, brought in Bedford. Anything else?

The giants had seven top 10 draft/priority picks playing last night alongside a first gamer, two (I think) category B rookies, a mid season draftee, multiple players taken in the pick 50-60 range etc. For reference we'll have six top 10/priority picks playing for us tomorrow night versus their seven, so in the same ballpark.
Sure the academy is nice for making a few of those picks more of a certainty by giving them priority access, but this idea they are "full of top end talent" and the coach change has nothing to do with their success, just wrong. Alfonz is correct

The other one is obviously McRae. Took over a club that finished second last and won them a flag two years later.

With the right coach I believe this list could achieve similar things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back