Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So much sourness in regards to the club, the team, the coach on BF at the moment.
I wonder if those who are weeping so badly were actually some of the mouthy ones predicting that it was a cake walk against the Yella.
Maybe they are afraid of going to work and copping it from the oppo.
I thought we would win, but was not greatly surprised that they did us over.
I wonder just how many have actually emailed or phoned the clu as thay have said they would.
We will see just how we go agisnt the Bulldogs on Saturday and what the reactions will be win or lose.

How many times have we been $1.20 in the last few years? Nearly everyone thought we'd win.

Johnson would have been taking Young’s defensive mid role on Yeo, Brodie would be playing the extractor role Fyfe plays.
Given Fyfe only played 77% TOG, Brodie could slot into the other 23% in that role and take 50% of the first receiver role, Brayshaw and young to rotate through wing instead of JOM.

they started Brayshaw on a half forward line, and had Darcy on the bench at the start. Both stupid moves

No, not naive...I expect that would be a common way of thinking. But I wouldn't suggest that you consider all of the executive and the board to be business admin. The board and executive management are there to oversee all parts of an organisation and that includes the operational part (in this case football operations including on-field).

Particular people will be targeted towards particular parts of the business with higher degrees of focus and delegation. As all positions within any organisation everyone has a boss (and many senior roles have more than one in practice) and that extends to the coach of an AFL club.

It would not be healthy for a coach to operate with complete independence or without oversight and scrutiny. Great organisations get the mixture right however, and provide the right leaders with the right degree of delegated authority and relative autonomy at the right times.

Does Freo have the mixture right, well none of us really know, but I suspect not. I'd certainly like to see Joe Brierty out in the media today providing some top cover for his coach and sharing some accountability. To me that would be a sign of healthy leadership culture.
I think these are good points. The coach, as far as I know, is invited to a couple of board meetings a year to answer questions and give honest appraisals of where we're at. The CEO is at every meeting .
This is why the 'three prelims and a flag by 2025'' boondoggle should hurt every serious supporter so much. When, as currently looks highly likely, it proves to be miles off, the board members that were part of it should do the honorable thing and follow the coach out the door.

Johnson would have been taking Young’s defensive mid role on Yeo, Brodie would be playing the extractor role Fyfe plays.
Given Fyfe only played 77% TOG, Brodie could slot into the other 23% in that role and take 50% of the first receiver role, Brayshaw and young to rotate through wing instead of JOM.

It was the ball up when we won the tap (Darcy) and then Reid tackles Serong, then the ball resurfaces and Reid grabs it and takes it away. Complete disaster for our mids

I think these are good points. The coach, as far as I know, is invited to a couple of board meetings a year to answer questions and give honest appraisals of where we're at. The CEO is at every meeting .
This is why the 'three prelims and a flag by 2025'' boondoggle should hurt every serious supporter so much. When, as currently looks highly likely, it proves to be miles off, the board members that were part of it should do the honorable thing and follow the coach out the door.

The '3 flags by 2025' is miles off. In a normal corporate environment there would be repercussions for the C Suite (varying degrees) and the Board.

I have maintained that we don't have enough experience in the football department. And the board looks uninspiring. I also think we have no business pursuing DEI goals, and should not even consider that stuff without a premiership.

Maybe , but enough to mouth off to them Yellas suporters!!!!Then moan and groan about our payers and their supporters for paying out on us for being flogs.
I’m not sure what you are upset about?
Maybe it’s just the general vibe after 30 years of shiteness

No, not naive...I expect that would be a common way of thinking. But I wouldn't suggest that you consider all of the executive and the board to be business admin. The board and executive management are there to oversee all parts of an organisation and that includes the operational part (in this case football operations including on-field).

Particular people will be targeted towards particular parts of the business with higher degrees of focus and delegation. As all positions within any organisation everyone has a boss (and many senior roles have more than one in practice) and that extends to the coach of an AFL club.

It would not be healthy for a coach to operate with complete independence or without oversight and scrutiny. Great organisations get the mixture right however, and provide the right leaders with the right degree of delegated authority and relative autonomy at the right times.

Does Freo have the mixture right, well none of us really know, but I suspect not. I'd certainly like to see Joe Brierty out in the media today providing some top cover for his coach and sharing some accountability. To me that would be a sign of healthy leadership culture.
That's a good explanation but needs clarification on an important point. Having a boss doesn't mean that that person tells you how to do your job. The captain of an aircraft carrier doesn't know how to fly a plane. So I'm sure JLo does have a boss within the organisation and that boss has some say on how he conducts many aspects of his role. But you let the cobblers do the cobblering. When it comes to on-field JLo's the man. I think he's the type of bloke who's very good at getting input from those around him and incorporating it. But if he's compromising his game-style vision to keep 'bosses' happy he has a problem and so does the organisation, and the next coach. And so do all of us poor b*stards solving the world's problems in this little corner of BigFooty.

I’m willing to give JL a mulligan for now on the weekend. But the safety net is now gone and we need to see something decent this weekend.
I agree more broadly with the comments around the game plan being unlikely to win the ultimate prize if we have lesser skilled players or not enough elite forwards.
The game plan relys on living on scraps inside F50 and individual brilliance in attack. We cannot score 100 points against a top end team that fully tuned into finals mode.
Our personnel inside 50 are just not good enough to pull this gameplan off as it stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's very simple. We have a game plan based on the need for pack marking in our attacking 50 against 4-5 other opposition players, or when the ball hits the ground, locking the ball in and scoring goals from holding the ball decisions/pressure acts.

This is because the forward line is so congested due to the horrendously slow ball movement up field.

The ball movement is so slow because we are scared to run off our opponents and take the game on from our defensive half, as we are trying to limit being scored off from turnovers, so we move the ball slowly and don't commit too many men forward of the ball. We only do that when there is no safe incremental kick available, at which point we organise a slow moving pack target near the boundary line for a kick down the line, in order to initiate another stoppage, and, again (yawn) better field position.

We don't back the pace, skills and decision making at speed of our defenders and midfielders. Instead we rely on slowly making field position, then using sheer pressure and graft to move the ball into offensive parts of the ground. That's why we've always loved drafting hard working tackle machines with limited skills like Schultz and Emmett, guys who can lock the ball in and score a few goals through blue collar gruntwork once we have the ball upfield in a packed and congested forward 50.

Our game plan is based on a lack of belief in our players. That lack of belief seeps into everything we do. It breeds uncertainty. It can keep you in games. But it's not attractive to watch, it's not fun to play, and it falls down against teams that have good defensive interceptors and then attack at speed.

It's a game plan based on trying not to lose, and trying not to be scored against when we make errors. It's not a game plan based on trying to win. On taking the game on. On being prepared to fail. It will be the end of JL. It's so clear to everyone, but, it seems, himself.

You have a short memory. There have been many worse than that one.
There's been worse losses on the scoreboard. But in the context of who we played (last years wooden spooners) where our club has publicly said it expects to be (a premiership next year), two tough losses on the road which I would've expected had the effect of our players breathing fire when they came out to play. Then coming out and losing a 1st quarter again, having the same issues around lack of scoring which has been publicly acknowledged by the coach and he couldn't fix it, then topping it off by getting smashed in almost every position against our cross town rivals.
To a lot of people there's not just the obvious issues on the field, but we just keeping serving up the same disappointment time and time again leading people to think there must be something off field that the club is also seriously lacking. We've been rebuilding for 9 years and serve up what we did on the weekend. It was a very bad loss.

It's very simple. We have a game plan based on the need for pack marking in our attacking 50 against 4-5 other opposition players, or when the ball hits the ground, locking the ball in and scoring goals from holding the ball decisions/pressure acts.

This is because the forward line is so congested due to the horrendously slow ball movement up field.

The ball movement is so slow because we are scared to run off our opponents and take the game on from our defensive half, as we are trying to limit being scored off from turnovers, so we move the ball slowly and don't commit too many men forward of the ball. We only do that when there is no safe incremental kick available, at which point we organise a slow moving pack target near the boundary line for a kick down the line, in order to initiate another stoppage, and, again (yawn) better field position.

We don't back the pace, skills and decision making at speed of our defenders and midfielders. Instead we rely on slowly making field position, then using sheer pressure and graft to move the ball into offensive parts of the ground. That's why we've always loved drafting hard working tackle machines with limited skills like Schultz and Emmett, guys who can lock the ball in and score a few goals through blue collar gruntwork once we have the ball upfield in a packed and congested forward 50.

Our game plan is based on a lack of belief in our players. That lack of belief seeps into everything we do. It breeds uncertainty. It can keep you in games. But it's not attractive to watch, it's not fun to play, and it falls down against teams that have good defensive interceptors and then attack at speed.

It's a game plan based on trying not to lose, and trying not to be scored against when we make errors. It's not a game plan based on trying to win. On taking the game on. On being prepared to fail. It will be the end of JL. It's so clear to everyone, but, it seems, himself.
It’s difficult to mount a counterargument to this in fairness.
The only aspect I would challenge is the point about hardworking grunters like Schultz and Emmett. I think the games gone in such a way now that forward pressure is a key part of every gameplan no matter what team or coach you are.
Collingwood and Richmond are often cited as the antithesis to the JL brand of footy yet Beau Mccreery and likes of Dan Rioli and Castagna are/were the grunter versions in their game plans and equally important.

You have a short memory. There have been many worse than that one.
Fremantle's team is one that we've been building for years full of high draft picks that should be ripe for playing finals. And they not only just got beaten, but thrashed by a team that's won like 4 games in the last 2 seasons?

I'm a glass half full type normally but it's hard to get much worse than that, it's only one game but it's difficult not to be deeply concerned atm.

Bottom of the league for inside 50s. Bottom two for transition defence. 12th for scoring. 2nd bottom for contested possessions. It's more than just one game and we ain't gonna win many more with that profile

Bottom of the league for inside 50s. Bottom two for transition defence. 12th for scoring. 2nd bottom for contested possessions. It's more than just one game and we ain't gonna win many more with that profile

We ‘re winnng clearances normally, so getting the ball is not a problem…it’s all about after that, and when we los the ball and get it back

Dont forget we also average 12 pts in the six first quarters played this year. Jlo has no idea how to change this

A neutral observer come in peace.

I fell out of love with AFL and Swans due to Paul Roos ball. The game was infected with possession, tempo and chip to a nearby player. After the GF win, I could not emotionally stomach the intense, defensive and boring as far.k style anymore. Returned to NRL which is another story.

Freo reminds me of the Swans and Roosball minus potent forward line, Bazza, Nick Davis, etc. Longmure does not appear to make adjustment, it's like playing a Football manager, you click to start match then just watch it unfold.

The modern football is immensely watchable, at least for me. It rewards chaos and risk taking. You don't want to keep Longmure beyond this season regardless if he can turn it around - his style isn't conducive to the modern game. Just like possession football, unfortunately, became the norm, Freo is in danger of falling behind the modern ethos.

Interesting Taurus. I'm not sure I agree, as he was getting them to play an attacking brand at times in the first couple of weeks.
They can do it, did it against West Coast late in the game when they threw caution to the wind. Up the guts. We have some good users, but maybe the week in Adelaide was too much. Who wants to do a week in Radelaide? Three nights is plenty.
If he keeps going like this, and members drop off, his card will be stamped regardless

Interesting Taurus. I'm not sure I agree, as he was getting them to play an attacking brand at times in the first couple of weeks.
They can do it, did it against West Coast late in the game when they threw caution to the wind. Up the guts. We have some good users, but maybe the week in Adelaide was too much. Who wants to do a week in Radelaide? Three nights is plenty.
If he keeps going like this, and members drop off, his card will be stamped regardless
What? We didn't play attacking football at all in those games, we played the same style just against woeful teams.

Also your comment on Adelaide is pathetic, wonderful city and the players probably appreciated not having to get on and off a plane, they just went about it like a normal training week. As bad as JLs excuses that a mitigating factor was because we hadnt played a home game in a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back