Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The style that Longmuir is aiming for is almost guaranteed to not win a flag. You almost certainly need a top 5 forward line. In the entire time we have been in the competition, there have been 29 premierships won, and only 4 have come from sides that didn't have a top 5 forward line. Sydney in 2005. Dogs fluke in 2016 when the umpires cheated. And Richmond in 2017 and 2019, who still played a weirdly attacking type of football with their surge mentality, and kicked 16.12 and 17.12 on GF day. They had the #2 attack in 2018 and #5 in 2020.

There is zero evidence to suggest Longmuir is aiming to truly achieve a good attacking side. I don't think we should realistically expect a top 5 forward line now. No way. But I want to see a gameplan which is leading to this in a few years time. Instead JL seems intent on trying to recreate the Sydney success of 2005, a once in 30 years type of event. It's not a great strategy and is almost certain to fail.

We shouldn't be trying to strangle 70-60 wins against good sides. There's been enough defence drilled into this side. Keep the defensive mindset in the background, but release the shackles when we have the ball. We should be trying to go head to head with Port and Carlton, and if that means losing 120-80, then so be it.

The players had thought this game was in the bag and have instead been spending their time worrying about how we finish in the four. Is the coach to blame for that or the leadership group?

Last edited:

I firmly believe teams reflect their coach, which seems to be ringing true with JL - we are measured, timid, boring, and confusing. We're also yet to see a brand of football - at any stage - that will stand up under prelim final intensity, let alone win us a flag.

Find a coach who is positive, confident and not afraid to take a couple of risks, ffs

I firmly believe teams reflect their coach, which seems to be ringing true with JL - we are measured, timid, boring, and confusing. We're also yet to see a brand of football - at any stage - that will stand up under prelim final intensity, let alone win us a flag.

Find a coach who is positive, confident and not afraid to take a couple of risks, ffs

Do you think it's also possible that senior staff (like coaches) reflect their executive level leadership? What type of downwards leadership is Longmuir getting?

Feel it's only to be worse after this week.

We're even on my preseasn prediction, (should have been 1x game up at 4-2, not 3-3), but the WBD game I had down as a loss.

Knee-jerk, emotion, and who we played aside. Port were equally awful, s that game must have taken a lot out of the players.

benefit of the doubt is gone now though. That's the one mulligan JL can have until we're ahead on the ledger.

We need dare, in selection and style.

The style that Longmuir is aiming for is almost guaranteed to not win a flag. You almost certainly need a top 5 forward line. In the entire time we have been in the competition, there have been 29 premierships won, and only 4 have come from sides that didn't have a top 5 forward line. Sydney in 2005. Dogs fluke in 2016 when the umpires cheated. And Richmond in 2017 and 2019, who still played a weirdly attacking type of football with their surge mentality, and kicked 16.12 and 17.12 on GF day. They had the #2 attack in 2018 and #5 in 2020.

There is zero evidence to suggest Longmuir is aiming to truly achieve a good attacking side. I don't think we should realistically expect a top 5 forward line now. No way. But I want to see a gameplan which is leading to this in a few years time. Instead JL seems intent on trying to recreate the Sydney success of 2005, a once in 30 years type of event. It's not a great strategy and is almost certain to fail.

We shouldn't be trying to strangle 70-60 wins against good sides. There's been enough defence drilled into this side. Keep the defensive mindset in the background, but release the shackles when we have the ball. We should be trying to go head to head with Port and Carlton, and if that means losing 120-80, then so be it.
If the opposition halves the contested ball/clearnaces, this current style always loses.

I’d argue we controlled the game for the first 20 mins. Inside 50’s will highlight that. Was something like 16-5 at one point yet the score was 7-2.

Then they kicked 3 very late in the term and game was over.
Before I can I agree with 'control the game' I need to see more goals. You're not controlling at least something sifnificant if you can't score.

Depends what you mean by season is alive. We are not competing for a flag this year, sorry but it's not going to happen.

Our wins were against North, Crows, and and understrength Brisbane.

2 of our losses could have been wins, but they weren't.
'Season is alive' = still a realistic chance to make the eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think it's also possible that senior staff (like coaches) reflect their executive level leadership? What type of downwards leadership is Longmuir getting?
I think the executive have some input into who they appoint as coach but after that it is on the coach. Something i sprofoundly wrong if someone on the business admin side of the club is pulling the strings about the on-field stuff. Am I naive?

realistically what coaching talent is available at year end?

bevo? no thanks, he is taking some risks at the moment trying to find a premiership list.
Valentine is already in the dugout, if you needed a caretaker I’d be giving him a crack.
JL has commented on the boredom and monotony of an AFL season and now the fixturing issues, it’s not inspiring stuff. Loved the bloke as a player and probably a great person but not a leader.

Depends what you mean by season is alive. We are not competing for a flag this year, sorry but it's not going to happen.

Our wins were against North, Crows, and and understrength Brisbane.

2 of our losses could have been wins, but they weren't.

We're not far away. Can make a pretty strong case that we'd be 6-0 if Coxy stays fit.

We're $41 for the flag for a reason, but I'm not writing off 2024 yet. We're currently above both of last years Grand Finalists.

I think the executive have some input into who they appoint as coach but after that it is on the coach. Something i sprofoundly wrong if someone on the business admin side of the club is pulling the strings about the on-field stuff. Am I naive?

No, not naive...I expect that would be a common way of thinking. But I wouldn't suggest that you consider all of the executive and the board to be business admin. The board and executive management are there to oversee all parts of an organisation and that includes the operational part (in this case football operations including on-field).

Particular people will be targeted towards particular parts of the business with higher degrees of focus and delegation. As all positions within any organisation everyone has a boss (and many senior roles have more than one in practice) and that extends to the coach of an AFL club.

It would not be healthy for a coach to operate with complete independence or without oversight and scrutiny. Great organisations get the mixture right however, and provide the right leaders with the right degree of delegated authority and relative autonomy at the right times.

Does Freo have the mixture right, well none of us really know, but I suspect not. I'd certainly like to see Joe Brierty out in the media today providing some top cover for his coach and sharing some accountability. To me that would be a sign of healthy leadership culture.

Last edited:
We're not far away. Can make a pretty strong case that we'd be 6-0 if Coxy stays fit.

We're $41 for the flag for a reason, but I'm not writing off 2024 yet. We're currently above both of last years Grand Finalists.

I'd be very happy to be wrong, but I'm just not seeing it. I thought after the Port game we were in some trouble to be honest, watching them try to hold structure and zone whilst Port were trying to win was just really odd. Then watching last years wooden spooners comprehensively spank us all over the ground was enough for me to think that there's no coming back from here (i mean in terms of legitimately competing).

If I'm wrong and we are about to commence a run of undefeated games and charge up the ladder and premiership stakes then superb. I just watched the replay of the Bulldogs game on Kayo. If they play that mixture of attack and precision we are in serious trouble this week coming.

So much sourness in regards to the club, the team, the coach on BF at the moment.
I wonder if those who are weeping so badly were actually some of the mouthy ones predicting that it was a cake walk against the Yella.
Maybe they are afraid of going to work and copping it from the oppo.
I thought we would win, but was not greatly surprised that they did us over.
I wonder just how many have actually emailed or phoned the clu as thay have said they would.
We will see just how we go agisnt the Bulldogs on Saturday and what the reactions will be win or lose.

This game style just does not suit our list. It requires a team of elite ball users and if there's one thing this list isn't, its elite with ball in hand. Nearly all kicks we attempt, that take ground are a challenge. The marking player has very little separation. Our list profile is so suited to a risky, play on style where precision isn't required but you catch defence out of position. We identified it last year and pivoted late to show decent results. Then we go away for the off season and come back with something that kind of looks like what we saw late last year but when the pressure is up we go into our shells ie. Late in the Port and Blues games and then again on the weekend. JL needs to provide a safe space for our players to fail. Encourage them to continue to take it on. Even if it costs us games in the short term. The more they play this way, the more it becomes natural. The good players will adjust and become elite. The players that play this way will stick out like dogs balls and we can move on from them. Such a simple concept. We are watching the Eagles do that as we speak, and in the space of 3 weeks, they have turned a corner and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Why cant we be bold? Why cant we risk it all to be successful? I dont know but if we play each week scared to fail then we will always play too safe!

Before I can I agree with 'control the game' I need to see more goals. You're not controlling at least something sifnificant if you can't score.

I agree with that to some degree, but in the example we’re talking about we definitely controlled the first 20 mins.
The fact we were down 7-2 doesn’t mean we weren’t in control.

It can often happen where a team takes control but doesn’t put it on the scoreboard.

Johnson was on Yeo at times in the ball ups! Unbelievable mismatch.
Bring In Brodie to take these blokes on
Johnson would have been taking Young’s defensive mid role on Yeo, Brodie would be playing the extractor role Fyfe plays.
Given Fyfe only played 77% TOG, Brodie could slot into the other 23% in that role and take 50% of the first receiver role, Brayshaw and young to rotate through wing instead of JOM.

I'd be very happy to be wrong, but I'm just not seeing it. I thought after the Port game we were in some trouble to be honest, watching them try to hold structure and zone whilst Port were trying to win was just really odd. Then watching last years wooden spooners comprehensively spank us all over the ground was enough for me to think that there's no coming back from here (i mean in terms of legitimately competing).

If I'm wrong and we are about to commence a run of undefeated games and charge up the ladder and premiership stakes then superb. I just watched the replay of the Bulldogs game on Kayo. If they play that mixture of attack and precision we are in serious trouble this week coming.

Watch a replay of Bulldogs v Essendon from the week before, that will make you feel better. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back