Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually kinda thought he is more suited to the wing/HB role than as an inside mid. He is a great kick of the footy, one of the best in the AFL and it's his strongest asset, but I don't think he gets to utilise it anywhere near as much being stuck as an inside mid. But, he is a great player in general, and it's not hard to look decent as inside mid given the players Crows have playing there; Laird would probably be the only one to get in our side, I think. Easy to see why they're 0-4.

I actually kinda thought he is more suited to the wing/HB role than as an inside mid. He is a great kick of the footy, one of the best in the AFL and it's his strongest asset, but I don't think he gets to utilise it anywhere near as much being stuck as an inside mid. But, he is a great player in general, and it's not hard to look decent as inside mid given the players Crows have playing there; Laird would probably be the only one to get in our side, I think. Easy to see why they're 0-4.

Crows were winning last year him as an inside mid Nicks just has no idea last night had 6-7 contested possessions in the first stage doesn’t go in there till the 4th.

Was Dawson ever in our leadership group? It’s a big jump to go to captain of a side in your 2nd season there. Says a lot about the group of players at that club and adds a lot of pressure to your own game. Still disappointed that he left and don’t mind seeing them losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching JD play last night, I picked up on the high esteem he is held by the Crows. He's their main man, their best mid and on baller, their captain they turn to. Almost a bit like how we use to look to JPK in his prime.

My thought was if he stayed at the Swans he would still be rolling off HB / Wing and not even be considered a leader, just one of our best 22. I now realise the move to Adelaide was the right one for him as they clearly saw something in him that I doubt we ever would have.
He is clearly the best player in a team that is dependent on a couple of aging players, Walker & Crouch, who at one point a few years ago, were out of favour & looking like their careers were finished & also Laird & Brodie Smith.
The Crows now have a couple of real flashy young players that don't perform for the full 4 quarters.
This only helps reinforce how well we developed him at our club as an important cog in our team & gave the Crows a ready to go player, who is now their best player, but unfortunately is playing in a team consisting of a bunch of talented individuals like him.
He has missed out on the opportunity to play the rest of his career out in a team that is prepared to play finals.

A 0 & 4 start doesn't bode well for a good year but he'll help them win a few games & cause some teams a bit of grief.

Watching JD play last night, I picked up on the high esteem he is held by the Crows. He's their main man, their best mid and on baller, their captain they turn to. Almost a bit like how we use to look to JPK in his prime.

My thought was if he stayed at the Swans he would still be rolling off HB / Wing and not even be considered a leader, just one of our best 22. I now realise the move to Adelaide was the right one for him as they clearly saw something in him that I doubt we ever would have.

A rare and precious ray of graciousness amidst the tumult of BF boards. An ennobling post. Thank you.

Personally I don't give a crap what the Crows saw in him. Stuff them.

However, I have no gripes against Dawson. I don't see any evidence he was deceiving us with the "don't worry" comment, people can change their minds over the course of several months, especially in the Covid impacted years. If he had made the call before seasons end and said so to the club, he risks getting dropped or derailing our late season / finals campaign (which some of the same critics would also blame him for). He probably didn't want to ruin the B&F and felt bad about leaving so talked us up.

He made a call to be closer to family, play for his childhood club, Ricciuto was his idol (his biggest mistake imo), a club who obviously sold a leadership / club vision. Good for him if he has a great personal career at hopefully an unsuccessful club. The players seem to understand far better than many fans. Certainly no Tippett vibes.

He made a call to be closer to family, play for his childhood club, Ricciuto was his idol (his biggest mistake imo), a club who obviously sold a leadership / club vision. Good for him if he has a great personal career at hopefully an unsuccessful club. The players seem to understand far better than many fans. Certainly no Tippett vibes.
Agree with what you say, but also can't forget the money side of it. Crows probably offered to make him one of their highest paid players and made an offer we couldn't come close to matching. Can't knock him for wanting to go there when you put it all together as much as I would've liked for him to stay.

Crows can GAGF for trying to bend us over during trade negotiations. Crows fans were idiots too who didn't think he was worth too much. We knew his value and potential, pity we didn't get as much for it.

Agree with what you say, but also can't forget the money side of it. Crows probably offered to make him one of their highest paid players and made an offer we couldn't come close to matching. Can't knock him for wanting to go there when you put it all together as much as I would've liked for him to stay.

Crows can GAGF for trying to bend us over during trade negotiations. Crows fans were idiots too who didn't think he was worth too much. We knew his value and potential, pity we didn't get as much for it.
Yeah, though I think family was the main drawcard for he and his partner. Certainly he'll be better off financially.

Do know a Crows fan who was like "who is this Dawson guy?", had to remain calm while explaining he was a gun and the Crows were screwing us over. When he was made captain I was sure to tell them that the Crows had to get some culture/leadership from somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back