Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with what you say, but also can't forget the money side of it. Crows probably offered to make him one of their highest paid players and made an offer we couldn't come close to matching. Can't knock him for wanting to go there when you put it all together as much as I would've liked for him to stay.

Crows can GAGF for trying to bend us over during trade negotiations. Crows fans were idiots too who didn't think he was worth too much. We knew his value and potential, pity we didn't get as much for it.
Adelaide knew what he was worth. We knew what he was worth.

There was a clear precedent of players of Dawson's age and quality and it was a pick in the top 10. Which they had available to give in a trade. They just knew they could leverage the preseason draft to rip us off.

It is the gaslighting bs over his value that will always annoy me. Unfortunately for Adelaide, 2021 won't be the last AFL trade period and I hope we pay them back one day.

There was a clear precedent of players of Dawson's age and quality and it was a pick in the top 10. Which they had available to give in a trade. They just knew they could leverage the preseason draft to rip us off.

It is the gaslighting bs over his value that will always annoy me. Unfortunately for Adelaide, 2021 won't be the last AFL trade period and I hope we pay them back one day.
I think the recruiters have a very long memory. I think I remember Beetson saying "what goes around...."

Payback started in 2022 when we bid on Michalanney before they might have expected.

They'll probably feel Dawson was payback for the whole Tippett saga
They might feel that way but it wouldn't be right.

There was no future pick trading in those days and all we had was our first round pick to offer.

We tried to push out White to give fairer compo, who despite his maligned reputation was a solid key position prospect at the time.

In short, we had nothing else to offer Adelaide than what we offered.

No one was suggesting Adelaide should have to push out a really good player to offer in a trade. Just to offer the draft pick that they had which was close to a fair deal - they still would have easily won the deal.

So I don't think there is any comparison between the two.

Payback started in 2022 when we bid on Michalanney before they might have expected.
Was that payback though? If anything, Michalanney should have been bid on earlier.

I want actual payback.

Problem is we aren't terrible like Adelaide so the whole pre-season draft leverage thing is off the table for a bit. And they don't have anyone as good as Dawson ... other than Dawson.

******* incredible game from Judas. 31 disposals 7 marks 9 tackles and 2 goals.

That kick to Rachelle where he squibbed the mark was chefs kiss.

Still spewing how shafted we were in the trade.

Serious question, do you think he’d have been as successful (personally) if he stayed with you guys?

We needed him to go into the guts because we are struggling and he’s proven to be one of the competition’s best. Surely you guys would have been happy letting him rack it up at half back or on a wing?

Was that payback though? If anything, Michalanney should have been bid on earlier.

I want actual payback.

Problem is we aren't terrible like Adelaide so the whole pre-season draft leverage thing is off the table for a bit.
I did say "started". I think we'll be pretty difficult to deal with for the Crows for a while yet.

And yeah, there's not too many options to threaten the PSD or bring a NSW player back home.

Controversial opinion but it was us that grossly underestimated his worth. He languished in our seconds for a long time, despite racking up massive numbers when he played on ball. Then played as a HB / CH / Wing for us. He never was given the opportunities to develop to the next level with us as he has been at Adelaide. I reckon he would still be playing off HB / Wing if he was still with us as he would be viewed as an on ball option behind Rowbottom, Mills, Parker, Warner, Papley and Heeney.

Well done to the Crows for identifying how good a player Dawson is.

They might feel that way but it wouldn't be right.

There was no future pick trading in those days and all we had was our first round pick to offer.

We tried to push out White to give fairer compo, who despite his maligned reputation was a solid key position prospect at the time.

In short, we had nothing else to offer Adelaide than what we offered.

No one was suggesting Adelaide should have to push out a really good player to offer in a trade. Just to offer the draft pick that they had which was close to a fair deal - they still would have easily won the deal.

So I don't think there is any comparison between the two.
I understand that point of view. But to look at the whole situation from a neutral point of view, it was a very contentious trade scenario overall and I could see why Adelaide would've been filthy whether right or wrong. Wouldn't surprise me if they did hold a grudge.

I understand that point of view. But to look at the whole situation from a neutral point of view, it was a very contentious trade scenario overall and I could see why Adelaide would've been filthy whether right or wrong. Wouldn't surprise me if they did hold a grudge.
To be fair though, it doesn't take much for Adelaide people to hold a grudge.

Controversial opinion but it was us that grossly underestimated his worth. He languished in our seconds for a long time, despite racking up massive numbers when he played on ball. Then played as a HB / CH / Wing for us. He never was given the opportunities to develop to the next level with us as he has been at Adelaide. I reckon he would still be playing off HB / Wing if he was still with us as he would be viewed as an on ball option behind Rowbottom, Mills, Parker, Warner, Papley and Heeney.

Lots of players play in the midfield for us at reserves level, even if they didn't play there when drafted or we never intend to play them there in seniors. Yeah, maybe we didn't see him as necessary in the mids, but I don't think we underestimated him overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stanley-boo.gif

Serious question, do you think he’d have been as successful (personally) if he stayed with you guys?

We needed him to go into the guts because we are struggling and he’s proven to be one of the competition’s best. Surely you guys would have been happy letting him rack it up at half back or on a wing?
Hey bud. Nice to see a decent oppo supporter around. Hope you've been well!

To answer your question, it's likely he would have played a hybrid wing/hb/inside role with us imo. He was just a gun wherever we played him and we all knew how good he was. Personally he was my favourite player before he left.

To answer your question, it's likely he would have played a hybrid wing/hb/inside role with us imo. He was just a gun wherever we played him and we all knew how good he was. Personally he was my favourite player before he left.
That's how I have always viewed him and like you, he was a favourite. I think the fans held him in higher regard than the club.

My 2 favourites were Dawson and Hewett. 2021 was not a good year.

I think the two scenarios are very different.

And as I said earlier, it is the gaslighting that I hated. There was no bs about what Tippett was worth, we just had nothing we could offer beyond what we did offer.

He would have been an AA winger in a GF team in 2022 and possibly AA on the wing again in 2023. Hell, he may have had to go play inside at stages in 2023 and this year and possibly been amazing

Sydney are a better team than Adelaide and Dawson would have not only thrived with us but actually play finals as well

I think the two scenarios are very different.

And as I said earlier, it is the gaslighting that I hated. There was no bs about what Tippett was worth, we just had nothing we could offer beyond what we did offer.
Not sure how the trade scenarios are relevant to be honest. We've had strenous dealings with them in general for a decade now. It looked like they wanted to get at us again offering a 10-year contract to Gulden as well.
I didn’t think I’ve ever heard about this Tippett circumstance.

What was it all about? Was it a good decision?
The details are extremely hazy for me now, but essentially Tippett want to go home (QLD), but we came in and he decided on us instead. We refused to budge on offering Jesse White and a pick - Crows obviously wanted more. Then someone leaked info (I can't remember who it was) Crows were paying him extras outside the cap which led to them losing draft picks for a year or two and Tippett was banned for a while. But, we got him in the pre-season draft without losing anything, and Crows got nothing for him in the end.

Not sure how the trade scenarios are relevant to be honest. We've had strenous dealings with them in general for a decade now. It looked like they wanted to get at us again offering a 10-year contract to Gulden as well.
Adelaide could have wanted to square up with us because of the Tippett (non) trade. Maybe they did, but I am saying they were completely different scenarios.

There was nothing we could offer them because the system didn't allow it. We tried to push out White, but he didn't want to go. What were we supposed to do? Invent a draft pick?

The system was changed so that teams could offer fair deals in trades with future picks if necessary. Adelaide had multiple ways to offer a fair deal and chose not to because they wanted to have their cake.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back