News Jimmy Toumpas signs with Swan Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

They've overcommitted to writing him off so hard so early they almost have to will him to fail.

There was nothing wrong with his game last night given where his career progression is at.

It's such a weird position to take isn't it? Surely in these instances you're happy to be proven wrong?! We should want players to succeed regardless of, even despite our opinions!

We all get it wrong sometimes, no shame in that. I'll admit that I thought DBJ was just another vanilla flanker who would get delisted before playing a game.

I was wrong and f@#k it makes happy to say it! :D

I liked Jimmy's game last night, and have been impressed with him on the whole this year.

Absolutely worth persisting with.

Last edited:
No. I heard that idiot though. I like the toump but in all seriousness he needs to find confidence at reserve level first. The Hoon has been good recently.
perhaps you should be patient, letting him rack up 30 disposals in the sanfl against second string players will be of no benefit. in the same manner as jasper, as many others have noted, he needs to play 50-60 AFL games, & fast. no gold passes, if he's showing no effort then he's out. if he's showing plenty of effort, as he's done in each of his games so far, then ken will put up with the errors of inexperience that he's making.

One of the best passes against Richmond was that one where Jimmy was about 90m out with Chaplin getting back on Dixon and he fired it in as hard as he could to get Charlie out of position and give big Dix an easy mark.
I agree. That was a good pass to Dixon who goaled. I have watched the replay and would say that Jimmy is improving his positioning and disposal.

perhaps you should be patient, letting him rack up 30 disposals in the sanfl against second string players will be of no benefit. in the same manner as jasper, as many others have noted, he needs to play 50-60 AFL games, & fast. no gold passes, if he's showing no effort then he's out. if he's showing plenty of effort, as he's done in each of his games so far, then ken will put up with the errors of inexperience that he's making.
Mate I used to watch him at Sandringham.
Barely got 20 disposals at that level.

I liked Jimmy's game last night, and have been impressed with him on the whole this year.

Absolutely worth persisting with.

Same! He is getting better. He was one of our leading tacklers so his work rate is there. Just needs to be a bit cleaner with his hands but that will come with more games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate I used to watch him at Sandringham.
Barely got 20 disposals at that level.
well he's had a full pre season with us now & gotten his body right, & he's averaging 18 touches at 76% DE, 4 tackles, 3 inside 50's from 5 games. numbers pretty similar to a senior guy like hartlett's.

He has quality but atm he is also a bit uncertain of himself and his role.
Lots of room for improvement that will come with experience as the quality is there.

I'm not saying this bloke isn't worth persisting with. He could be anything but if we are serious he isn't starting 22 when a few come back after the break.

I'd have young, ahchee, impey neade Gray ahead of him out of the fringes

S8rVo3b.gif

Compare his output to Aish & what he cost Collingwood (three 2nd round picks) & we should be more than happy with what we've seen from him early considering all he cost us was a slight downgrade of our 2nd pick.

We lacked depth in our outside mid stock, White copped a long term injury in the first game, Chad's had various issues & Polec is coming off a horrendous foot injury so will have ups & downs in his output.

That basically leaves Mitchell as the only other player who could've came in & tbh as nice a guy as Mitch is i'm glad we have Toumpas so we don't have go down that path again because Jimmy's at least got the potential to be an AFL player for us in the future.

I've yet to watch the Richmond game properly but there was one moment when it was on when the screen view made it look like he failed to tackle or apply pressure. I instantly went "Oh Jimmy!" But it was out of character with his play through the game and I wondered even then whether another Port player was coming in off screen and Jimmy had a structural reason for holding back. I will never know. Pretty much for the rest of the game he looked like he belonged and IMO he was good.

Never said that.
We were playing Richmond who literally put no pressure on us at any stage.
You'll have to ask Broadbent to decline his goal of the year nomination.
"MATTHEW Broadbent has been nominated for Goal of the Year thanks to an unbelievable long bomb under pressure during the Power's clash with Richmond ..."

We have only ever had three top 5 draft picks- M.Stevens (1998), Boak (2006) and Hartlett (2008). We have traded in a few others- Heuskes (1993), Primus (1995), Polec (2010) and Toumpas (2012). So I was very excited to land Toumpas. 7 top picks over twenty something years and now we have four playing in the one team.

The Toump has enormous upside. People have to be patient. It took Byron a year to settle in to our team and he was already a premiership player. He was dropped at least once in 2003. These days there are more structures and tactics to worry about so it's harder to settle into a new team.

Just give the lad some time. We will be richly rewarded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back