News Jimmy Toumpas signs with Swan Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Once you stop judging Toumpas against his draft pick number (which is fair enough for us to do given Melbourne burnt their pick on him, not us) he's a reasonably serviceable depth player. The thing that has worked against him most this year is that of all of the areas of the ground where we have been hit hard by injury/suspension, the midfield has not been one of them.

Toumpas form was borderline AFL standard and you're just guessing on Amons form.
So too were Pittard and many more qhen they started their careers. It all depends on what coaches see in them and how quickly they want the player to develop.

I didn't think he earned his initial selection. But he was starting to build nicely before being dropped. Has performed well in the SANFL and showed a willingness to work on his defensive side. Deserves a chance to show us what he's got.

Once you stop judging Toumpas against his draft pick number (which is fair enough for us to do given Melbourne burnt their pick on him, not us) he's a reasonably serviceable depth player. The thing that has worked against him most this year is that of all of the areas of the ground where we have been hit hard by injury/suspension, the midfield has not been one of them.

Yeah he's been a good get for pick 40-odd and I'm sure we'll see a lot more of him in the future.

I have to admit that Toumpas has been disappointing but then again our whole year has been disappointing. Obviously the Coaching staff have asked Jimmy to do something that he has not been able to do. Maybe Ken wants a better defensive game from him, maybe he would do more with a different game plan, who knows?

I have to admit to falling for Jimmy's highlights package but he looks to be a player who thrives when the ball is moved into space and with our current style he finds himself in contests all of the time. As has been posted he has some time on his side.

How has he been disappointing?

Did you not see the mediocrity of his career at Melbourne? What exactly were you expecting?

I think he is worth a spot on the list and certainly worth the price we paid for him. He's got a number of areas where he needs to improve, but eventually I expect he'll develop into a consistent AFL footballer. Not the star he looked pre-draft, but a decent option for any side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy has come from a long way back in terms of fitness and confidence. This year has been about re-establishing his credentials as an AFL footballer. He's progressing nicely in our reserves team which was the whole point of getting one.

Next pre-season he'll be starting from a similar base to the rest of the squad and could become a definite selection option. He may even get another look in this year.

Not every player is about here and now. Sometimes you play a longer game even with players who have been in the system a while.

How has he been disappointing?

Did you not see the mediocrity of his career at Melbourne? What exactly were you expecting?

I think he is worth a spot on the list and certainly worth the price we paid for him. He's got a number of areas where he needs to improve, but eventually I expect he'll develop into a consistent AFL footballer. Not the star he looked pre-draft, but a decent option for any side.

You do not think the fact that we traded pick #29 and #50 for a player who cannot make our side disappointing? Toumpas was originally a #4 draft pick in 2012 so if we traded for him I would have expected him to hold a spot. The fact that Jimmy has not been able to do that is disappointing. Toumpas is into his fourth season on an AFL list so he has had development time, he should be performing to AFL standard but in the Coach's eyes and he is not. It is not about Jimmy's potential or his ability it is about where he currently sits on our list. Unlike some on the site I am not writing Toumpas off but merely expressing my disappointment at his inability to command a spot in our AFL side.

You do not think the fact that we traded pick #29 and #50 for a player who cannot make our side disappointing? Toumpas was originally a #4 draft pick in 2012 so if we traded for him I would have expected him to hold a spot. The fact that Jimmy has not been able to do that is disappointing. Toumpas is into his fourth season on an AFL list so he has had development time, he should be performing to AFL standard but in the Coach's eyes and he is not. It is not about Jimmy's potential or his ability it is about where he currently sits on our list. Unlike some on the site I am not writing Toumpas off but merely expressing my disappointment at his inability to command a spot in our AFL side.

We also got pick 32 back.

The deal is irrelevant and we paid virtually nothing for him.

Carn, Melbourne's development of players has been diabolical. Watts was a no 1 and still plays poorly. He needs another pre season with the club before I'll judge. I think as his confidence develops in his he'll be fine.

I wasn't happy he got dropped after a 22 touch 10 tackle game to begin with as I thought he was doing a number of things some of our more experienced highly rated senior players weren't doing at the time, in particular extremely hard two way running. If they wanted more in regards to him finding more of the footy a 39 touch game should be more than enough to see him picked this week.

With Mitchell coming in & doing a pretty good job in a shutdown role whilst getting a fair bit of it himself I could see Toump picked ahead of Amon or possibly Impey who didn't have the best game, though i'd probably lean more towards keeping Jars in the side as his explosive pace & hard tackling would be a little more important in a tough game against the Hawks.

We also got pick 32 back.

The deal is irrelevant and we paid virtually nothing for him.

This. We apparently rated Bonner as the 11th best player in the draft, I'm very confident that we would have taken him anyway had we not traded for Toumpas. So essentially its Toumpas for a late third rounder. Toump has certainly played more games this year and shown better form in the twos since losing his spot than a draftee late third rounder would have played.

29EssendonAlex Morgan
30EssendonMason Redman
31North MelbourneRyan Clarke
32CollingwoodBrayden Sier
33North MelbourneMitchell Hibberd
34Gold CoastJoshua Schoenfeld
35Western BulldogsMarcus Adams
36West CoastTom Cole

who has produced more than the Toump that makes our recruitment of him scream disapointing? Sure Marcus Adams has been good, but with Clurey, Austin, Carlile, Hombsh, Trengove and the pseudo talls Stewart and O'Shea, we weren't taking a KPD

I wasn't happy he got dropped after a 22 touch 10 tackle game to begin with as I thought he was doing a number of things some of our more experienced highly rated senior players weren't doing at the time, in particular extremely hard two way running. If they wanted more in regards to him finding more of the footy a 39 touch game should be more than enough to see him picked this week.

With Mitchell coming in & doing a pretty good job in a shutdown role whilst getting a fair bit of it himself I could see Toump picked ahead of Amon or possibly Impey who didn't have the best game, though i'd probably lean more towards keeping Jars in the side as his explosive pace & hard tackling would be a little more important in a tough game against the Hawks.
Patience is key, Toump will get his chance but after the way we beat Richmond our midfield will not change. The only change MAY BE Butcher for Schulz. Amon is tracking nicely, remeber he is extreamely outside and that is something you can see he is working on. He needs to improve his awareness, but what pick #72 or whatever he was hasn't got flaws to his game!??!

29EssendonAlex Morgan
30EssendonMason Redman
31North MelbourneRyan Clarke
32CollingwoodBrayden Sier
33North MelbourneMitchell Hibberd
34Gold CoastJoshua Schoenfeld
35Western BulldogsMarcus Adams
36West CoastTom Cole

who has produced more than the Toump that makes our recruitment of him scream disapointing? Sure Marcus Adams has been good, but with Clurey, Austin, Carlile, Hombsh, Trengove and the pseudo talls Stewart and O'Shea, we weren't taking a KPD

How about you get my post right? I am not saying I am disappointed we recruited Jimmy I am saying it is disappointing that he cannot get a regular game at AFL level. If you, and few others look back over this thread you will see that I was pretty pleased when we recruited Toumpas and that was in the face of some stiff criticism from others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back