Toast Jay Schulz

Remove this Banner Ad

No , it's just that they are the "best" team we've beaten. Let's be honest they are average and still in development.

Over this season they're still miles ahead of Essendon and Brisbane. And that's all Freo have beaten, two sides both 1-11.

If Jay plays, Dougal doesn't. Did it not occur to anyone that the reason Trengove rucked the whole last quarter was because Howard was cooked?

Westhoff will give Trengove a chop out and Jackson can rest in the forward line with Schulz and Dixon, freeing up more rotations for the midfield.

No , it's just that they are the "best" team we've beaten. Let's be honest they are average and still in development.

I went to the game yesterday and after seeing them live I reckon Melbourne are a bit further along than you think. Lots of hard running and making options for their mates, even the skill execution was at least on par, if not slightly ahead of ours.

Don't underestimate our win against them, it was a good one.

I'd be against Schultz coming back given his time off. However given Howard only played <60% on the ground iirc, and Schultz is apparently in good fitness then it may not be such a bad idea.

Can Howard play tolerate more game time? If not he may be a liability at this stage. Given we were deficient down back last week, can he spend more time in the ruck and be nearly as effective as Jackson? That's the only way I can see him holding his spot.

I think we need to blood Clurey. He has looked comfortable at AFL level previously, despite his SANFL form not being amazing iirc. If he only plays a handful of games this year, he should be looking at other options.

So Schultz in (if fit enough to spend most of the time on the ground), Howard out

O'Shea or Stewart out (probably Stewart unfortunately) and Clurey in.

Last edited:
I'd be against Schultz coming back given his time off. However given Howard only played <60% on the ground iirc, and Schultz is apparently in good fitness then it may not be such a bad idea.

Can Howard play tolerate more game time? If not he may be a liability at this stage. Given we were deficient down back last week, can he spend more time in the ruck and be nearly as effective as Jackson? That's the only way I can see him holding his spot.

I think we need to blood Clurey. He has looked comfortable at AFL level previously, despite his SANFL form not being amazing iirc. If he plays a handful of games this year, he should be looking at other options.

So Schultz in (if fit enough to spend most of the time on the ground), Howard out

O'Shea or Stewart out (probably Stewart unfortunately) and Clurey in.
Some interesting points there Schletz

I went to the game yesterday and after seeing them live I reckon Melbourne are a bit further along than you think. Lots of hard running and making options for their mates, even the skill execution was at least on par, if not slightly ahead of ours.

Don't underestimate our win against them, it was a good one.

In all seriousness collingwood are garbage and will make many sides look good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

either he's fit enough to play and he does,or he isn't and he doesn't? jay will want to play so i assume it's just the medico's call.

personally i don't see him playing SANFL unlike others. Too good for that.

Be ****ed if I'd send him down to bloody South Adelaide!

If he is fit, he is fit IMO - bring him back!

I trust the club to decide if Schulz is right but it's a huge risk. No footy in a long time, long flight over.

There's two schools of thought here:

1. You've got the bye next week. Why not just wait a few more weeks until after the bye? No point risking him now when we've got time off next week.

2. We have the bye next week, so if Schulz is a little sore after playing this week, at least he has a fortnight before he has to play again.

The way I see it is that if he's fit, play him.

If Jay plays, Dougal doesn't. Did it not occur to anyone that the reason Trengove rucked the whole last quarter was because Howard was cooked?

Westhoff will give Trengove a chop out and Jackson can rest in the forward line with Schulz and Dixon, freeing up more rotations for the midfield.
Doogie can be moved down back and swap between back and ruck with Trengove. Probs would have to drop Stewart or O'Shea though.

I wish we would stop hiding behind 'injuries'
Yes it will be good to get Ryder White and Shultz back but Jeesh Hawthorn and other good structured teams just keep on going

Our form this year has been less about injuries than other things

We beat Hawthorn last year with Wingard and Robbie out
It is also wrong to think the only reason the crows are flying is because of lack of injuries
It's not the number of injuries it's who we have out and their position on the field. You build a team around your spine and if that's gone the structures are hard to maintain. It doesn't excuse our losses to Crows,GWS and geelong though. That was all lack of work rate and heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back