Toast Jay Schulz

Remove this Banner Ad

I was big on Schulz being a stay at home forward while Dixon works higher up, given Schulz's accuracy, but Dix has improved his conversion a lot so now both can definitely switch it up to exploit the defence and still be reliable to convert. Schulz deep if there's space to work in and room for leads, or Dix if they're flooding the backline and some bodies need hurting.

Has definitely added another hypothetical dimension.

Inb4 Hoff, Schulz, and Dixon all flying in the same pack.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Reading on facebook that he's gonna go round another year? Ken has apparently backed him. Anyone got some news on this?

He's been moving okay imo. If he closes out the year well, I don't see why not. We don't have any other options to compliment Dixon outside of Butch.

Reading on facebook that he's gonna go round another year? Ken has apparently backed him. Anyone got some news on this?

If his body can handle it, there's no reason why Jay can't go around again. I hope he can.

I just listened to the interview Jay Schulz did on 9th February on SEN with Kane Cornes. Kane has the permanent gig on Friday 9am to 12 noon with Gerard Whateley doing Monday to Thursday. Boss351 that was one of the rare ones you missed. It was a fluke I hit the podcast button by mistake and found it.

Jay is starting a kicking and goal kicking academy for kids. He also talks about post footy stuff. The academy idea started when he was asked to help a 17 year old kid who plays in the TAC Cup. He started with the kid 7 weeks before Christmas. Word of mouth has turned into something bigger. Listen at

Jay Schulz SEN with Kane Cornes 09/02/2018

His website is http://jayschulz.com.au/

Last edited:
Just about the quintessential ugly ducking into a swan story.

Clearly talented early days, but pretty uncoordinated and inconsistent not helped by the fact he was a bit of a loose cannon off the field. I remember Choco was keen on him a couple of years earlier and at the time I thought no thanks. But then he eventually made it here and immediately set about winning over respect with his desperation and team oriented play in a very mediocre side. Then as the midfield became increasingly competitive his brilliant marking and kicking started to really come to the fore developing into a gun full forward who was legitimately among the best in the competition. All the while being a driving force as a leader at the club as an embodiment of discipline and giving 100% on the training track and the field.

A bit of a shame his final season was a struggle thanks to his brutal knack of attracting impact injuries and I think there was a little bit of disagreement at the end there with the club (rightfully IMO) feeling he would not be able to have an impact in 2017. But there was too much mutual love between he and the club for it to develop into anything resembling bitterness.

Played like a warrior and will always remember his efforts fondly and take the lesson that sometime there is a diamond waiting to be uncovered inside that initially unremarkable rock.

Will watch with interest how his coaching aspirations go, a guy with that sort of backstory exhibiting passion and commitment in the face of adversity would be a great mentor for young kids coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back