Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and was subbed today. Big questions marks given Bud not there anymore.

He’s actually performed much better over his early career without Buddy.

Didn’t watch last night but presumably he had Sam Taylor for company.

There are far more accomplished players that have been well beaten by Taylor.

McDonald is tracking fine.

I think with Covid wiping out almost 18 months of junior development we really need to temper expectations of this draft class.

They all look very underwhelming with the exception of JUH in bursts and Gulden.

I think with Covid wiping out almost 18 months of junior development we really need to temper expectations of this draft class.

They all look very underwhelming with the exception of JUH in bursts and Gulden.

McDonald played in the WAFL during COVID so that doesn't apply.

I think that's harsh. It's only their 3rd year. Holmes has been excellent and Perkins, Henry, Chapman, Cox and Bruhn have all shown glimpses of elite talent. It's hard with the talls to expect much of them yet.

I think that's harsh. It's only their 3rd year. Holmes has been excellent and Perkins, Henry, Chapman, Cox and Bruhn have all shown glimpses of elite talent. It's hard with the talls to expect much of them yet.

A lot of talls went early. Going to take a bit longer to develop

Logan won't be as a big as Buddy, but yes we made the wrong call drafting Phillips over Logan. Apart from being a good bloke with good character, I don't see what redeeming traits he has on field; gets pushed off the ball too easily, has limited skills, decision making isn't great, doesn't have pace, he's not a lock down or run with player.. I just see him as an average midfield plodder.

Logan hasn't set the world on fire, but you can see that he has something and won't be long before he's imposing himself on games and kicking bags. Similar to JUH.

The Vics from the following draft were even more interrupted - essentially losing two seasons rather than just one.

The Vics from the following draft were even more interrupted - essentially losing two seasons rather than just one.

Newcombe would not have gone undrafted if not for Covid.

Blind Freddy could see he was a step above VFL when he was playing at BHH.

McDonald feels like a high floor-low ceiling type player. I don't see him ever becoming one of the top few forwards, although I don't see him being a flop either. Reckon he'll become a consistent 40-60 goal per year player, which is still a great return for Sydney. Maybe I just have my pro-Jamarra goggles on and I'm subconsciously rooting against Logan McDonald (which most fans end up doing), but I feel he may have been overrated while Jamarra was being criticised for not preforming straight away (despite having pretty similar output).

In regards to Phillips, he'll be alright. Good, not great midfielder who can play a role without starring. Probably not what you want with the 3rd pick and it was the wrong choice, but it won't end up being that bad of a selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald feels like a high floor-low ceiling type player. I don't see him ever becoming one of the top few forwards, although I don't see him being a flop either. Reckon he'll become a consistent 40-60 goal per year player, which is still a great return for Sydney. Maybe I just have my pro-Jamarra goggles on and I'm subconsciously rooting against Logan McDonald (which most fans end up doing), but I feel he may have been overrated while Jamarra was being criticised for not preforming straight away (despite having pretty similar output).
I agree with you. He'll be a good long term forward, which is absolutely nothing to sneeze at, I see a really solid player without the athletic or any other special gifts to separate himself from the pack.

40-60 goals is pretty much top 10 for a KPF these days.

40-60 goals is pretty much top 10 for a KPF these days.
Yep, and IMO that's where I see him ending up. Good, occasionally great output without becoming a superstar of the competition.

But in reality, these blokes are in their third year. It'd be silly to write off these blokes already, pigeonhole them or limit their ceiling. More than happy to be proven wrong!

Logan won't be as a big as Buddy, but yes we made the wrong call drafting Phillips over Logan. Apart from being a good bloke with good character, I don't see what redeeming traits he has on field; gets pushed off the ball too easily, has limited skills, decision making isn't great, doesn't have pace, he's not a lock down or run with player.. I just see him as an average midfield plodder.

Logan hasn't set the world on fire, but you can see that he has something and won't be long before he's imposing himself on games and kicking bags. Similar to JUH.
Phillips will be a solid small first possesion winning mid. But don't think he can play any other role.

Phillips will be a solid small first possesion winning mid. But don't think he can play any other role.
Agree. I think the best is he could become a Crouch like player, which isn't anything special.

Logan has a much higher ceiling and will be more valuable.

I think McDonald, Phillips and Grainger-Barrass can all be compared in the sense all three were going to North, Sydney and Hawthorn, we just didn't know which order they would go.
Probably even fair to say, Phillips ends up in Sydney and we’d be talking him up as a future gun, as he would’ve been eased into the afl surrounded by a decent young midfield and if North picked up McDonald most pundits would be calling him a bust, with the limited opportunities he’d have with the ball coming in.

Probably even fair to say, Phillips ends up in Sydney and we’d be talking him up as a future gun, as he would’ve been eased into the afl surrounded by a decent young midfield and if North picked up McDonald most pundits would be calling him a bust, with the limited opportunities he’d have with the ball coming in.

Wishful thinking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back