"I spend far too much time on the Net" Grizzlym.

Remove this Banner Ad

The anti piracy bill is set for passage for the US Senate.

It's a nasty collection of words that that will seriously curtail the internet.

Have a read of SOPÅ (stop online privacy act) for the full story.

http://sopablackout.org/

Wikipedia does it's absolute best to riddle out copyrighted articles and more but it's an impossible ask even with bots - I know that myself. (Although tools like Rollback make it easier.) And there's thousand of entries a day by not only registered users but anonymous ones. Yes sockpuppet technology is in place and IP addresses can be blocked that continue to add crap like that, yet I'm sure Wikipedia will probably have trouble staying up because of the amount of these copyrighted entries and images. Not good news at all.

The hardest stuff to stop is when a respected enough editor becomes lazy and decides to slip in a sentence or two copied from somewhere and the source another article.

I've been doing a bit of research on the bill and implications today. A watershed moment me thinks. Have you checked out Google USA tonight? Some guy has posted a proxy link on General Discussion. Tis all blacked out.

I'm still quite naive on the bill's implications and not too knowledgeable about it.

I was on the GD thread shortly after it was posted so hadn't seen the link until just then. Wow, this may end up being rather big.

I'm assuming there's going to be no implications at all for BigFooty?

shortwave-radio-0808-lg.jpg

"In a clammy basement three decades ago, 12-year-old Chris Smolinski fiddled with the tuner on his shortwave radio, hoping to catch the end of his favorite weekly rock show. Instead, amid the static, he heard the sound of a glockenspiel, followed by a girl’s voice reciting numbers in monotone: "250. 47. 92. 905. 58. 46..."

Smolinski had stumbled across a so-called "number station:" a shortwave radio station of unknown origin that broadcasts nothing but number recitations, in dozens of languages. Smolinski did not know the stations had existed since World War I. He didn’t know that no one is sure about the stations’ origins or purposes."

Utterly fascinating subject. Here's the rest of the article.

And here's a website dedicated to the weird world of Number Stations.

shortwave-radio-0808-lg.jpg

"In a clammy basement three decades ago, 12-year-old Chris Smolinski fiddled with the tuner on his shortwave radio, hoping to catch the end of his favorite weekly rock show. Instead, amid the static, he heard the sound of a glockenspiel, followed by a girl’s voice reciting numbers in monotone: "250. 47. 92. 905. 58. 46..."

Smolinski had stumbled across a so-called "number station:" a shortwave radio station of unknown origin that broadcasts nothing but number recitations, in dozens of languages. Smolinski did not know the stations had existed since World War I. He didn’t know that no one is sure about the stations’ origins or purposes."

Utterly fascinating subject. Here's the rest of the article.

And here's a website dedicated to the weird world of Number Stations.

I first became aware of them when Jeff Tweedy, of Wilco, became fascinated by these before Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and incorporated the style of them into a couple of songs on the album.

Weird stuff. Certainly intelligence and counter-intelligence related

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who doesn't want a pair of giant cardboard robotic arms?

Because, as it so succinctly says on this website:

" Arm yourself with giant cardboard robot arms! Perfect for giant robot hugs, super high high-fives, & terrorizing small children."

il_570xN.145864465.jpg

il_570xN.145864731.jpg

il_570xN.145864511.jpg

You can find out more, and even buy them here.

The Hill of Crosses in Lithuania.

9full-viewjpg.img_assist_custom-600x450.jpg

I stumbled across this incredible place on Environmental Graffiti.

Well worth having a look at the pics and the accompanying essay.

Must be quite a sight.

"Amid lush green hills in the Lithuanian countryside, just outside the city of Šiauliai, a strange sight greets visitors: tens of thousands of crosses, big and small, made out of metal, wood or granite are piled on top of each other. While their purpose is at first unclear, as visitors move along the crosses that snake uphill, their function is sadly unveiled."

Hill of Crosses here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back