No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't every word different though? I was away with friends for Easter and homophobic comments came up and how over time, they have diminished, we chatted about this being a positive.

The general consensus was the F word used by Finlayson is something that made us all uncomfortable and would be at the pointy end of the tree when it comes to offensiveness.

Three weeks to me is one week shy of acceptable but i dont know why it should be less than a racist remark.

Moving forward, i think Clarkson has got away with one here and the Finlayson punishment would be the minimum.

What's offensive for one person, might not be for another

Stamp it out by having a minimum 3 or 4 week penalty

Prevent, not fix

Suspension is not the answer imo. Should be a big fine.

Death threats, then we are getting more serious and talking lengthy suspensions.

That goes beyond sticks and stones etc.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Random musings on this subject.

I think the reason we see heavier penalties for racism are because the comments are directed at a person based on their race. Go up to a white bloke and call him a n***** and you're getting a bemused look. Do it to a player with first nations or African heritage and it's a whole different story. You're picking out a core facet of that person's history, culture, family, background, origin, whatever, and denigrating it as a way of denigrating them. There's also the likelihood that the individual has experienced that sort of abuse outside football, and copping it on the footy field is adding to prior damage.

To date, we're yet to have an AFL footballer come out as gay. Part of that might be fear of judgement or repercussion, either from their teammates, opponents or fans of the game. Part of it might be not wanting to carry that torch of being "the first". Part of it might be because it's nobodies damn business. But whatever the reason - without knowing a player is gay, throwing around homophobic terms as a means of insulting them is more of an outdated method of saying you think they're weak. Does that excuse it? Absolutely not. But calling someone gay when there is no knowledge or evidence that they are gay....well, it's hard to assess the damage the comment may or may not have caused. If anything, the assumption would likely be that the damage is more general in nature, in that gay people who hear or read of the comments may find it upsetting to know that prominent sports people are perpetuating the discriminatory language. It's a general social issue, rather than one of targeted discrimination of an individual.

Insultingly call me gay and I'm thinking "geez, this dickhead doesn't like me". Call my gay mate gay and you're potentially dredging up years of bullying and abuse.

I guess the question then is, do we punish the comments on the assumption that the person they were directed at could be gay? After all, we don't know...we don't need to or have a right to know...they could be and therefore does the penalty need to allow for that possibility? Is that the only way to protect those who might be gay but not be ready or inclined to come out?

From a societal standpoint, perhaps we should treat both types of comment the same regardless. There's a risk that if you don't, you're seen to be putting the rights of one minority group above the other.

That's where I land on the discussion of different penalties. It's a position of "I have no skin in this game and so I have limited insight", with a bit of fence sitting as a result.

My initial instinct was to lean towards racism directed at an individual of another race or cultural group being worse than using a homophobic term to try and insult someone who, to the best of your knowledge, isn't gay. I think in the course of writing the post though, I've shifted my view to treating both as equally serious for a variety of reasons.

Suspension is not the answer imo. Should be a big fine.

Death threats, then we are getting more serious and talking lengthy suspensions.

That goes beyond sticks and stones etc.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Fines are a deterrent for sure but not a patch on suspension.

Set a benchmark and the players will fall in line.

This is as much about setting community standards for all levels of football as much as it’s about Finlayson as an individual.

This is what baffles me about the Clarko penalty!!

Sure players are role models and heroes to people but coaches are supposed to be ambassadors of the game and as such have incredible responsibility to represent the code at its best.

Clarko is a recidivist and has failed in public often. To only fine him when he is probably one of the highest paid coaches ever in the game is soft!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Am I Wrong in thinking a bloke throwing elbows at peoples head should get more than someone who said a bad word?

To me they should be switched.

Your feelings only get hurt if you care what the other person says.

An elbow to the head could do irreplaceable damage.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The pen is mightier than the sword.

I really scratch my head at some of the stuff media personalities, commentators and footy show hosts spit out sometimes.

Watching the First Crack and Huddo brings up a time out style scenario that occurred in the 2nd quarter when Taylor was knocked out, as Adam Kingsley was coaching from the bench, all the GWS players went to the bench area and he was able to address them.

Hudson went on to claim that it was an unfair advantage as Ross Lyon was coaching from the box and he couldn’t do it. King chiming in that it took Ross 2.5 minutes to get down to the ground and if it was at the MCG it would take 5 minutes.

They then suggested the AFL should ban coaches addressing players mid game.

Here’s a hot tip guys, if coaches want to personally address their players as they come on and off the ground, then maybe, just maybe coach from the boundary line, like Kingsley was doing and on the off chance that someone is knocked out, you will get to talk to the whole group.

Do these people not understand that coaches coach from the ground or up in the box because they think one or the other gives their team an advantage?

I really scratch my head at some of the stuff media personalities, commentators and footy show hosts spit out sometimes.

Watching the First Crack and Huddo brings up a time out style scenario that occurred in the 2nd quarter when Taylor was knocked out, as Adam Kingsley was coaching from the bench, all the GWS players went to the bench area and he was able to address them.

Hudson went on to claim that it was an unfair advantage as Ross Lyon was coaching from the box and he couldn’t do it. King chiming in that it took Ross 2.5 minutes to get down to the ground and if it was at the MCG it would take 5 minutes.

They then suggested the AFL should ban coaches addressing players mid game.

Here’s a hot tip guys, if coaches want to personally address their players as they come on and off the ground, then maybe, just maybe coach from the boundary line, like Kingsley was doing and on the off chance that someone is knocked out, you will get to talk to the whole group.

Do these people not understand that coaches coach from the ground or up in the box because they think one or the other gives their team an advantage?

Yeah, heard that and thought it was a really pathetic point of view.

One of their team mates had just been knocked out, personally I would want to make sure the rest of the playing group is okay and still focused. Hard to do, but trying to install some peace of mind into the players that Taylor was in the best of care and giving updates when available.

Whoa.

One of our supporters actually said that Collingwood would be screwed if Murphy was forced to retire and this was weeks ago.

Tough but very mature decision for him, hopefully he lives a long and healthy life.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tough but very mature decision for him, hopefully he lives a long and healthy life.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I read an article that Nathan has suffered 10 concussions. Poor guy couldn’t catch a break. :(

Whoa. 😳

One of our supporters actually said that Collingwood would be screwed if Murphy was forced to retire and this was weeks ago.

Really sad when you hear news like this, regardless of what club they play for.

I actually liked Murphy - got the most out of himself and a really tough competitor - a real quiet achiever.

I wish him all the best and a long, healthy life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sad when you hear news like this, regardless of what club they play for.

I actually liked Murphy - got the most out of himself and a really tough competitor - a real quiet achiever.

I wish him all the best and a long, healthy life.

I have seen supporters of other clubs (not about this news) who take enjoyment in the injuries of players from their rivals and that is weird. Fortunately, I haven’t seen any of that on here about any players from other club and I hope I never do. Good group of people on here.

Very sad and would have been a very tough decision for Nathan to make but it would have been on medical advice.

He retires as a Premiership player and wishing Nathan all the best for the future and whatever it may bring.

b6b6f22a6c225f9773f8f5e80516f596

THE AFL has admitted an umpire made a mistake in not giving Adelaide a free kick after Essendon ruckman Sam Draper dived on the ball in the dying seconds of Friday night's thriller.

So, another game they've cost the Crows...

Where’s the best deal for Kayo? Club has a digital membership which is an option, does anyone have any ideas ?

Had Kayo with Telstra for 2 years (50% off but no longer available) but this year did it through the Club.

So much cheaper than $35 a month through Kayo/Telstra.

Our Digital M/ship is $260 and much better value and there are extras you get as well Esky

Has Paddy Dow been getting games at Stkilda I haven’t heard much about how he’s going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back