No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee Clarkson slap wrist on national tv giving to player finlayson cop 3 weeks seems rough

Last edited by a moderator:

2 very different words used
Don't know what was said but I thought the action would deliver same result .. same as a racial slur I don't think you would be graded on words used --
Anyway suppose the AFL can justify there own actions .. moral of there story is if you going to sling S$)# do it from a position of power..

Last edited:
Don't know what was said but I thought the action would deliver same result .. same as a racial slur I don't think you would graded on words used --
Anyway suppose the AFL can justify there own actions .. moral of there story is if you going to sling S$)# do it from a position of power..

It does influence how I think Clarko may have behaved regarding the current racial abuse saga at the hawks.

I know they are separate incidents completely but Clarko has displayed very little ability to curb whatever he thinks/feels either in a physically or verbally demonstrative manner.

My suggestion would be to set up a panel to decide what penalties to apply to any future incidents involving Clarko…………………………………………….

headed up of course by Ian Aitken!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It does influence how I think Clarko may have behaved regarding the current racial abuse saga at the hawks.

I know they are separate incidents completely but Clarko has displayed very little ability to curb whatever he thinks/feels either in a physically or verbally demonstrative manner.

My suggestion would be to set up a panel to decide what penalties to apply to any future incidents involving Clarko…………………………………………….

headed up of course by Ian Aitken!!!!!

This is what perplexes me -- Clarkson has many incidents where he has had to reined in by the AFL over his abusive language and actions even at a junior football match ..
I can't remember finlayson involved in other matters .. so I would of thought Clarksons penalty would of been considered on the high end..
seems like a headline penalty to me -- kill one save a thousand I suppose

Don't know what was said but I thought the action would deliver same result .. same as a racial slur I don't think you would be graded on words used --
The action is different though, because of the words used.

You can certainly argue that Clarkson got off lightly. But if he had have used the same word as Finlayson, he would have gotten a much harsher penalty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The action is different though, because of the words used.

You can certainly argue that Clarkson got off lightly. But if he had have used the same word as Finlayson, he would have gotten a much harsher penalty.
I understand what you saying mate I Suppose we all view things differently for me it all the same -- to say calling someone Choco is one week to someone the N word is 3 doesn't wash with me as all said with the same intention will leave the subject there hopefully it doesn't come up again .. the hall monitors will have there work cut out for the next month

Stamos is right. The word that Clarkson used that starts with C is used not just to denigrate gay people, it doesn't have the same effect as the word that starts with F. One is far worse than the other. If Clarkson had used the F word you can be assured he would have been banned.

Am I Wrong in thinking a bloke throwing elbows at peoples head should get more than someone who said a bad word?

To me they should be switched.

Your feelings only get hurt if you care what the other person says.

An elbow to the head could do irreplaceable damage.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a bit old school ie.
Sticks and stones may break my bones……etc.

I think we can all agree that verbal abuse can have significant long lasting effects on mental health, depression etc.

These things are difficult to measure and linger long after a stray elbow has healed especially if the verbal abuse is ongoing or recurring.

It’s why I admire Eddie Betts speaking up after each episode he or his family have been abused cos it would be pretty deflating and exhausting.

Am I Wrong in thinking a bloke throwing elbows at peoples head should get more than someone who said a bad word?

To me they should be switched.

Your feelings only get hurt if you care what the other person says.

An elbow to the head could do irreplaceable damage.

It's extremely rare for people to be totally apathetic to verbal abuse because humans are social creatures by nature. We have developed a million different ways to brush it off but it's often really hard for our brains to distinguish between "this guy is just being a prick to throw me off my game" and "I'm socially unacceptable, Which means the tribe is going to kick me out and Lions are going to eat me!"

Financially speaking I don't think the AFL's/PAFC's sponsors want to have their brand associated with homophobia. The guy also had a whole football stadium to say whatever he wanted and he managed to get caught on the umpires radio. He should be punished for his total lack of awareness, creativity and brains alone. He's getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and he couldn't wait till the umpires were further away?

Ha... 3aw this arvo...richo when asked by a caller how come Charlie gets so many frees compared to other teams, says

Maybe the AFL want Carlton to win.
(and means it.) His compatriots in TonyShaw and Jimmy da Rat don't challenge him.

Gobsmacked.

Unintelligent footy pundit makes unintelligent comment. I am not that gobsmacked that he would make that comment.

It's extremely rare for people to be totally apathetic to verbal abuse because humans are social creatures by nature. We have developed a million different ways to brush it off but it's often really hard for our brains to distinguish between "this guy is just being a prick to throw me off my game" and "I'm socially unacceptable, Which means the tribe is going to kick me out and Lions are going to eat me!"

Financially speaking I don't think the AFL's/PAFC's sponsors want to have their brand associated with homophobia. The guy also had a whole football stadium to say whatever he wanted and he managed to get caught on the umpires radio. He should be punished for his total lack of awareness, creativity and brains alone. He's getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and he couldn't wait till the umpires were further away?
Look I agree with what you are saying.

But by the time these guys get to AFL level, they would have have copped much worse. It's not right, and should be punished, but I think the 3 game suspension is more about protecting the brand than protecting the player.

Should be a minimum standard/penalty, despite what words are used

Isn't every word different though? I was away with friends for Easter and homophobic comments came up and how over time, they have diminished, we chatted about this being a positive.

The general consensus was the F word used by Finlayson is something that made us all uncomfortable and would be at the pointy end of the tree when it comes to offensiveness.

Three weeks to me is one week shy of acceptable but i dont know why it should be less than a racist remark.

Moving forward, i think Clarkson has got away with one here and the Finlayson punishment would be the minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back