Review GBF - Dees v Bears - Where is biff?

Remove this Banner Ad

What I will say though is that the warning signs were there – the midfield has, collectively, been pretty poor this year, and got exposed in a big way. That, and Blind Freddy could tell you that JVR, Petty, Brown and Fritsch in the same forward line is diabolical structure-wise.

It's clear that Oliver isn't fit and shouldn't be playing. That's now two of his worst career games in a row, and he's had one decent game for the year. Get his hand right, let him do a mini preseason and come back later in the year when he's looking like more than an absolute shell of himself.
He's had a good half against the dogs and then not much else. Reckon he's gone to ground more this year than the rest of his career combined. He looks absolutely shot ATM

We were terrible but the reality is that bris and about 5 other teams are a notch above us. Goodwin is a fraud and is the weakest link but our window is closed . I firmly believe we will make the 8 but the premiership window for us is closed .

On the plus side, that was the easiest 'upset' tip I'll make all year
I chose losses to both Adelaide teams. So i figured today was the day i'd maybe believe a little as they made me look foolish

Safe to say they keep making me look foolish

Never been so bored at a football game ever. Left during the 3rd quarter. I've got tix to the Anzac Eve game, but 50/50 whether I bother going. Tonight was deflating. Good teams worked us out 18 months ago and Goody still has no answers. And that F50 is complete and utter dogsh**

Greg Stafford must have been pulling a Diddy/Epstein to still have his fricken job.

Shouldn't the OP be "Where is the Biff?" Weak as piss from this group ( Young players excused) . This is Goodwins team , ask him why we are so vanilla ? Hey Coach , this is us you fraud . You won a flag , congrats . Since then we have been the great pretenders , fronting up to finals and doing s**t , on our turf too . You are proud of a team that did * all for 3/4 and scored some bullshit goals when the game was over . This loss is on you !!

Midfield got smashed so we were never going to win but the inability of our forwards to actually lead up at the ball has become a total joke.
Fritsch is there as a lead up forward and yet 99% of the time he loiters out the back looking for it over the top and then refuses to jump at the ball anyway.

JVR looks like he is auditioning for a career as a journeyman second ruck/back up tall. Petty no better.

There’s actually no point talking about which 7 forwards to pick. Whoever we play and no matter how much talent they have Stafford and Goody find a way to negate their abilities.

Good:

• I thought McDonald, Chandler, Gawn, Langdon and ANB could hold their heads high. Two horse race between Gawn and ANB for the B&F.
  • Happy with our youth coming through. We won’t be found out and have a bunch of 30+ year olds retire with nothing in the cupboard to replace them. They may not end up the same quality as our current stars but at least we are blooding them now.

Bad:

• Forward entries. Again.
  • Stagnant forward line. Again.
  • Forwards jumping for the same ball. Again.

Fugly:

• For such a vaunted midfield, would it kill them to win a clearance?
  • Our tackling. Opposition players just shrug us off and keep going.
  • No pressure last night.
  • Oliver. Clearly not up to it right now. Should’ve been rested before the Adelaide game to get his hand right and put him on a treadmill.
  • Brown. Nice fella. Jags a couple against the minnows but offers nothing around the ground.
  • The coach. Never seems to be doing anything other than starring out onto to the field wondering how he got himself in that position. Was well out coached by old man Fages last night.

I’ve said this next month will define our season and where we are at. We failed the first test. Badly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm so sick of the media talking up our midfield, might be the most ovee hyped part of the ground from any team in the AFL.

We have * all talent and diversity in there.
Oliver hasn't been good since 2022, Trac plays mostly forward outside of stoppages and Viney is a very good not elite player. Then what?
Windsor already looks incredible because of how bland it is in there ( an he's actually good )

On current form it's absolutely not a top 4 midfield and you could push it closer to 9th than 5th

Comfortably the worst game we've played since at least 2020. The only competition would be the Brisbane and Essendon games last year, but I think ths shades them.

Good:

- Chandler, Langdon, Riv all tried hard. TMac played okay after a shaky start. That's about it.

Bad:

• I think "we didn't try hard enough" is the lazest analysis of a game possible, but all the stats just point in that direction. We were smashed at tackles and clearances, which suggests a lack of competitive will. We were smashed at uncontested marks, which suggests that they were running much harder to provide an option for their teammates than we were. Don't know what the numbers were from groundball gets (we were literally always second to the ball) or pressure rating (the amount of time and space they had sometimes ws criminal) but the eyeball test suggests we got smashed in those areas as well.
  • The more technical aspects of the game wer terrible as well. Aways picking the wrong option (that Trac bomb to no-one in the 3rd will be seared in my memory for ever), always holding on to possession for too long and stepping back into trouble, mssing simple targets, dropping simple marks. The zone defence just collapsed and they sliced through us effortlessly. Don't think there was a single aspect of the game that we executed well.
  • Forward line too tall as others have said, but they were all completely uncompetitive in the air and failed to provide a target, which is the absoute minimum that tall forwards should be doing. if Adelaide are offering Petty a million a year then he should take it right now and run, because he's probably losing about $50k on his next contract every time he plays this year.
  • The midfield withh the exception of Langdon were terrible. Viney and Petracca just had no infuence, and Oliver looks completely cooked. Put him at Casey until he's fit, because he doesn't deserve a game right now. Gawn was one of our best all things considered, but Jesus Christ it would have been nice if some of his hit outs had gone anywhere other than straight down the throats of Brisbane players.
  • Worst game May has played for a long time. The rest of the backline were held up okay all things considered, but I knew we were in trouble when Hipwood and Daniher got their first two goals with soft, uncontested marks .

Ugly:

• It's so frustrating when you're already playing badly and all these little things just continually go against you to compound the frustration. The ball just bouncing the wrong way, all the 50/50 umpiring decisions going against us, an injury in the first 5 minutes of the game, repeatedly hitting the post - Jesus it was hard to watch.
  • This was the first game I've been able to watch in person for 14 years, and i had the ******* flu. If you think it was miserable for you guys to have endured, spare a thought for your old pal JP2. Easily one of the worst experiences I've ever had following this team, and that's saying something.

Comfortably the worst game we've played since at least 2020. The only competition would be the Brisbane and Essendon games last year, but I think ths shades them.

Good:

- Chandler, Langdon, Riv all tried hard. TMac played okay after a shaky start. That's about it.

Bad:

• I think "we didn't try hard enough" is the lazest analysis of a game possible, but all the stats just point in that direction. We were smashed at tackles and clearances, which suggests a lack of competitive will. We were smashed at uncontested marks, which suggests that they were running much harder to provide an option for their teammates than we were. Don't know what the numbers were from groundball gets (we were literally always second to the ball) or pressure rating (the amount of time and space they had sometimes ws criminal) but the eyeball test suggests we got smashed in those areas as well.
  • The more technical aspects of the game wer terrible as well. Aways picking the wrong option (that Trac bomb to no-one in the 3rd will be seared in my memory for ever), always holding on to possession for too long and stepping back into trouble, mssing simple targets, dropping simple marks. The zone defence just collapsed and they sliced through us effortlessly. Don't think there was a single aspect of the game that we executed well.
  • Forward line too tall as others have said, but they were all completely uncompetitive in the air and failed to provide a target, which is the absoute minimum that tall forwards should be doing. if Adelaide are offering Petty a million a year then he should take it right now and run, because he's probably losing about $50k on his next contract every time he plays this year.
  • The midfield withh the exception of Langdon were terrible. Viney and Petracca just had no infuence, and Oliver looks completely cooked. Put him at Casey until he's fit, because he doesn't deserve a game right now. Gawn was one of our best all things considered, but Jesus Christ it would have been nice if some of his hit outs had gone anywhere other than straight down the throats of Brisbane players.
  • Worst game May has played for a long time. The rest of the backline were held up okay all things considered, but I knew we were in trouble when Hipwood and Daniher got their first two goals with soft, uncontested marks .

Ugly:

• It's so frustrating when you're already playing badly and all these little things just continually go against you to compound the frustration. The ball just bouncing the wrong way, all the 50/50 umpiring decisions going against us, an injury in the first 5 minutes of the game, repeatedly hitting the post - Jesus it was hard to watch.
  • This was the first game I've been able to watch in person for 14 years, and i had the ******* flu. If you think it was miserable for you guys to have endured, spare a thought for your old pal JP2. Easily one of the worst experiences I've ever had following this team, and that's saying something.
The train was packed at 3/4 time..write to Roffey and ask for your $$ back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: 43k was a really good crowd and record between the 2 clubs.

Fugly: playing like that in front of a good turnout was just *ing embarrassing. I'm so sick of losing at the MCG.

Also have just banned myself from ever going to another Thursday night game, that was just ******* awful.

I hate stats but the talk of ground ball gets was really obvious last night. Brisbane seemed to be first to the ball and cleaner when it hit the deck. A lot of goals came from us either fumbling or them just being so clean. Also our defence is so leaky, wouldn't matter so much if we actually score but if we don't, like last night then the gap just gets worse and worse. I reckon they'll reset after the bye and tighten up, hopefully they don't revert to a defensive style again.

I hate stats but the talk of ground ball gets was really obvious last night. Brisbane seemed to be first to the ball and cleaner when it hit the deck. A lot of goals came from us either fumbling or them just being so clean. Also our defence is so leaky, wouldn't matter so much if we actually score but if we don't, like last night then the gap just gets worse and worse. I reckon they'll reset after the bye and tighten up, hopefully they don't revert to a defensive style again.
Hate to break it to you but we've been playing defensive for about 3 weeks now lol

Good: Tholstrup got to debut so bully for him I suppose. He didn't do much but looks good enough to keep Laurie out of the team. Chandler played well which was good to see as it was a horror night for our forwards. First time going to a game at the 'G this year for me.

Going into the bye at 4-2 is better than I anticipated at the start of the year. I was guessing we would go 2-4 or breakeven at 3-3.

Bad: Pretty much everything. Our forward setup does not work, and only looked semi functional in the 4th quarter once Brisbane put the cue in the rack.

Goodwin still too stubborn to change how we play.

Fugly: JVR needs a major attitude adjustment, his body language was shocking. Constantly walking to the next contest. Would only break into a run if he was a chance to get on the end of a kick. Constantly standing flat footed with hands on his hips if he was not involved in a passage of play rather than trying to create space or apply pressure. He is really starting to frustrate me, he is capable of much better. Coaches do him no favours playing him in the ruck, he is not suited to it.

Petty had a nightmare of a game. If he keeps this up, the "waiting for free agency compo" will net us a 3rd round pick.

Clarry needs a spell at Casey to regain fitness and form. Give a kid a run for a few a weeks, it will be good for the development.

Good: Tholstrup got to debut so bully for him I suppose. He didn't do much but looks good enough to keep Laurie out of the team. Chandler played well which was good to see as it was a horror night for our forwards. First time going to a game at the 'G this year for me.

Going into the bye at 4-2 is better than I anticipated at the start of the year. I was guessing we would go 2-4 or breakeven at 3-3.

Bad: Pretty much everything. Our forward setup does not work, and only looked semi functional in the 4th quarter once Brisbane put the cue in the rack.

Goodwin still too stubborn to change how we play.

Fugly: JVR needs a major attitude adjustment, his body language was shocking. Constantly walking to the next contest. Would only break into a run if he was a chance to get on the end of a kick. Constantly standing flat footed with hands on his hips if he was not involved in a passage of play rather than trying to create space or apply pressure. He is really starting to frustrate me, he is capable of much better. Coaches do him no favours playing him in the ruck, he is not suited to it.

Petty had a nightmare of a game. If he keeps this up, the "waiting for free agency compo" will net us a 3rd round pick.

Clarry needs a spell at Casey to regain fitness and form. Give a kid a run for a few a weeks, it will be good for the development.
We saw Mitchell get roasted a few weeks back by playing an uncontested style against us. But reality is, that's exactly how you beat us, they just couldn't execute it efficiently like the Lions did last night. Once Neale/Dunkley got the ball it was just keepings off until they found a target forward. I thought Fagan coached brilliantly last night. Had a plan and executed it to perfection. All teams know how to beat us now, it's just the contending teams who can execute it against our defence.

And if we're not throwing the kitchen sink at Mcluggage, then wtf are we doing?

Well, that was s**t. Barely had a winner on the ground all night. Fritsch + 3 talls in the forward line is crap, Brisbane were able to walk the ball to their half forward line from D50 with absolutely no pressure. Brown shouldn’t be in the team. JVR’s form is a concern and the idea of using Petty as the Melksham/Frampton style diffuser on Andrews was ******* s**t coaching.

The midfield had their pants pulled down. Oliver is a complete waste of space out there - squibbing contact, jogging around and giving up keystone cop goals. Steven May should take them all out to a French Restaurant and tell them some home truths.

we are absolutely copping it from left and right on all forms of social media and rightfully so after that performance.

so frustrating after the last month or so where everyone went quiet on us.

i’ve found that after our 2021 flag we are up there with the pies and blues as one of the more hated teams. pies fans especially have it out for us.

we are absolutely copping it from left and right on all forms of social media and rightfully so after that performance.

so frustrating after the last month or so where everyone went quiet on us.

i’ve found that after our 2021 flag we are up there with the pies and blues as one of the more hated teams. pies fans especially have it out for us.
Probably more to do with Steven May saying we were better last year and them chucking a hissy fit more than the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back