Game Day Gameday Rnd 7 - Freo Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahahahha its ******* ridiculous the sad thing is this happens whenever we loose the same posters will find blame and anyone and anything but the opposition being to good which was the case tonight. Lets be honest a team without Sandilands Pav Fyfe and Bradly completely outplayed the pies should deserve to be congratulated but the same posters week in week out refuse to accept it. I reckon go over there and wind them up im sick of them.

And enjoy our banz?

No thanks.

Quickly reading a few posts, yeah it was one of our best ever victories. Geelong was great, but this was the first time we got tested from such a margin and pulled away. If you want to get picky, unless we do some heroics in a GF, Demolition Derby was the greatest.

With that, want to say that Hannath was great so eat my words there. Without him we would not have won. And Ibbo - I had you just behind Sonny BOG tonight. Brave, skilled and composed. Suban good too.

Honestly, I disagree.

That Geelong win was part of the process, (journey;)).

It was fantastic, but it didn't lead to a flag. However, it gave the boys the self-belief to do what they did tonight.

This sort of win, to be able to steady like that and kick away against quality opposition, is what makes good teams great.

You must be drunk. My son thinks every second dinner is his best dinner ever and he says this. It's a nice thing to say for who ever is cooking but he's only 4 so we know he just can't remember all his dinners enough to distinguish between them.

Surely there has been other during ours 17 years that are better, wasn't getting into the prelim better than tonight? Wasn't winning against all odds in Geelong better? Wasn't smashing the resigning premiers in 96 in Subi by 80 points better? It was a good gutsy win, but hardly our best in our entire history. The media says this all the time, lets not start it here please.

Hahahahha its ******* ridiculous the sad thing is this happens whenever we loose the same posters will find blame and anyone and anything but the opposition being to good which was the case tonight. Lets be honest a team without Sandilands Pav Fyfe and Bradly completely outplayed the pies should deserve to be congratulated but the same posters week in week out refuse to accept it. I reckon go over there and wind them up im sick of them.

I don't think this board even has a dedicated meltdown/vent thread. This year in particular we have been pretty demure in the face of losses and adversity, but that may have something to do with the team performing well and not giving sufficient ammunition to launch the board into a frenzy.

Strangely enough the posters (poster really) known to be highly critical of under-performance seem to be MIA. You would think they (he) would be here, happy, basking in the glory of victory, but it seems not. ;)

My question to you: what is stopping us from ripping a game to shreds against quality opposition: a full playing list, better fitness or something else?

Lyon's game plan is very, very intense. It's going to take a fully fit side that doesn't lose a key player in the first 10 minutes to have any hope of playing 4 quarters like our first quarter against the pies. When it happens we're going to be a genuine chance at a flag (optimistically could even be this year).

We'll probably still only score 100 - 120 but the opposition is going to be lucky to get past 40.

You must be drunk. My son thinks every second dinner is his best dinner ever and he says this. It's a nice thing to say for who ever is cooking but he's only 4 so we know he just can't remember all his dinners enough to distinguish between them.

Surely there has been other during ours 17 years that are better, wasn't getting into the prelim better than tonight? Wasn't winning against all odds in Geelong better? Wasn't smashing the resigning premiers in 96 in Subi by 80 points better? It was a good gutsy win, but hardly our best in our entire history. The media says this all the time, lets not start it here please.

I was drunk last night. Not tonight.

All the wins you mentioned took us nowhere. We went backwards after all of them.

With the adversity we faced before, and during this game, it is undoubtedly our greatest triumph.

The boys will walk 6 inches taller after this, and they finally have a coach to keep that self-belief instilled within.

Greetings fellow Freo fans, as Whiteoak has rightly pointed out (no I'm not his alias), that was possibly the best win in the history of FFC. I've been a long time reader of bigfooty Freo forum (since 2007) but that win has inspired me to be a first time poster. We simply did not deserve to win with the players we had out, coupled with Griffo going down early. We won due to a deep seated belief within the player group that the team is bigger than the individual. An unbelievable effort, best typified by the much maligned Ibbotson: not a perfect game but a bloody tough one!

I have one question to my Freo brethren: there is a clear pattern of Freo getting a lead and this lead being whittled back before:

a) we bounce back as in tonight

b) we get pipped as in semi vs crows or recent game against Bombers

My question to you: what is stopping us from ripping a game to shreds against quality opposition: a full playing list, better fitness or something else?
Excellent post, have to say this win was definitely up there. Wasn't looking like we could get close and somehow win during the week, but the guys had a different idea in mind. Great start with perfect end to the game.

Answer to your question:
It's a matter of some key concentration areas where we just lose focus for a 10-20 minute period and that all it takes for good teams to get back in it. Remembered a period where we were sloppy around the wing and allowed them to smother the ball away as well as easily going forward with numbers. Also Mundy's high tackle then 50 m penalty doesn't help at all in terms of gifting them goals and momentum..
It s a game plan reliant on our skills and pressure for the 4 quarters and unfortunately also it is one where its so low scoring without being clearly in front. For it to work, it must have all 22 playing the full 4 quarters, with the same intensity and pressure from bounce down to end of the game.
Our fitness is not a massive concern of ours, the guys on the park are capable of running out the 4 quarters. Guess its still a learning curve, just fortunate it wasn't deja vu like that Essendon game..

It's all about the context: we start the game against a top 4 team who travel well -4 of our top 6 players. Within 15 min we lose our #1 ruck (this is ruck mid you not a flanker: our full time ruckman now has 3 games experience). Despite all of this we manage to dominate the majority of the game. The pies came out after half time pissed off and the scoreboard is a fair reflection of the play. We lose the lead early in the 4th quarter before pulling together as a team to record a 4 goal victory........ please show me a better victory than that!!!! That was a RTB/FFC masterclass!!! Enjoy it boys and girls I know I am! I've already been told that I'm sleeping in the spare room!

I was drunk last night. Not tonight.

All the wins you mentioned took us nowhere. We went backwards after all of them.

With the adversity we faced before, and during this game, it is undoubtedly our greatest triumph.

The boys will walk 6 inches taller after this, and they finally have a coach to keep that self-belief instilled within.

They only take you nowhere once the season has played out and we have lost. I hope we win the flag, but you can't say that this win is more important than any other when this win could take us nowhere too.

Our first derby win was better than this and so was the demo derby. Hands down.

My feeling on the game plan - we look most dangerous when we can work the ball to half-forward and then get a decent kick inside 50m. We look rubbish when we bomb it long from half-back to a contest forward of the wing hoping to create some improvised play from the fall of the ball - that scenario seemed always to work against us, especially with no no Griff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They only take you nowhere once the season has played out and we have lost. I hope we win the flag, but you can't say that this win is more important than any other when this win could take us nowhere too.

Now it's you who is drunk.;)

Derby wins and the demo Derby are pleasant memories.

The next week we ALWAYS got smashed. We were a shit/mediocre football team.

Not anymore.

We can fully expect to travel to Sydney and stick it right up the reigning premiers next week. We never could expect that in the past.

Great teams are built by wins exactly like this one.

Respectfully disagree PS.

Last post for me tonight without a minute silence.

Not many seasons in our history we are a realistic top 4 chance going into round 7.

Not often we get overtaken after leading a match for most the game that we can find a way to win.

I could go on, but IMO as a member from the start and getting to most games over the years in mainly thin times, this one game has a distinctive difference to the inconsistencies and hot and cold football we have displayed. It showed depth of character and the competitive spirit that gets up. That is the reason.

Don't usually post but I'm so pumped right now and thought there was two big points from the game:

First point: At the 3/4 time Ross spent an extra couple of minutes sitting on the bench, cool as a cat, moving names around on the whiteboard. Then went out to calmly give instructions to the players without losing his nut. Man is all class.

Second point: Eddie was right last year, I couldn't see that spud Cloke in a purple guernsey either, and frankly, I don't want to ;).

Free bonus point: Dawson is approaching Kepler levels of legendary.

You should usually post. :thumbsu:

Now it's you who is drunk.;)

Derby wins and the demo Derby are pleasant memories.

The next week we ALWAYS got smashed. We were a shit/mediocre football team.

Not anymore.

We can fully expect to travel to Sydney and stick it right up the reigning premiers next week. We never could expect that in the past.

Great teams are built by wins exactly like this one.

I'm not saying it wasn't a good win, i'm saying it wasn't our best win ever. We can disagree. It just shits me when the media crap on about the "greatest win in our history" when it's just a win against anybody like against North last year. I thought you'd be different.

Not him but-
First ever finals win in Melbourne, against the reigning premiers who were red hot at the time and backed my many as a serious premiership contender and Matthew Pavlich produced a simply epic game to boot.

We were also missing McPharlin.
And, tonight's opposition aren't that good

Just my thoughts on the history of the club. We have had more "draw the line in the sand"** games in our history than a home game against Collingwood. Last years away final against Geelong is exactly one of those games that gives the current crop the confidence to beat a team like Collingwood at home in uncorfortable circumstances. I expected our players to win this and think our gameplan will hold up nicely next week on the SCG no matter who plays and who is missing.

This game was crucial and don't want to cheapen that but you are on the sake again. Another very imprtant step. You make good points for a drunk man. :rolleyes:

** hate that terminology

congrats Freo.
You were clearly "on" from the start and we looked rattled. Yes we came back and made a game of it but credit to the boys in purple.

And I didn't really notice the umpiring tonight. Geez we can't even blame them.

Enjoy the win but hope we can return the favour in the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back