Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenorden FC meeting in next few weeks re their football program for 2024.

Long way back, but good luck to them.

When is the vote for the structure of the competition, re 2 or 3 divisions?
They need more than luck.

Dilute the pool even further.

Go to 2 divisions, at least North Sunny can get pumped by different teams for once

Is there a vote of have the WRFL asked for feedback from clubs to make a decision?

Some good players seem to have signed at Point Cook Centrals this season after the announcement that they wouldn't be fielding teams and done quite well in the top division

But you are right, good luck to them! Be good to see the Hawks back

Not sure how the WFNL will look like in 33 year's time, but the FDFL Round 1 fixture for 1991 D1 had:

Spotty v Albion
Kingsville v Seddon
North Footscray v Deer Park
West Footscray v Sunshine YCW
Parkside v St.Albans
Port Colts v Ascot Vale

Only 6 of those 12 remain in the WFNL as the same entity in 2024, only 2 of them are in D1 in 2024 and only Spotty of that 12 have remained in D1 for those 33 years.

Kingsville did evolve into Yarraville (not the VFA side, but after it folded) and eventually merged with Seddon to become the current YSE.

1991 had 34 senior teams across 3 Divisions that year, only 16 remain in the WFNL, 4 have transferred to other comps and 14 clubs have folded. 7 new senior clubs have joined since 1991 and remain in 2024.

Amazing how quickly things change.

Not sure how the WFNL will look like in 33 year's time, but the FDFL Round 1 fixture for 1991 D1 had:

Spotty v Albion
Kingsville v Seddon
Parkside v St.Albans
Port Colts v Ascot Vale

Only 6 of those 12 remain in the WFNL as the same entity in 2024, only 2 of them are in D1 in 2024 and only Spotty of that 12 have remained in D1 for those 33 years.

Kingsville did evolve into Yarraville (not the VFA side, but after it folded) and eventually merged with Seddon to become the current YSE.

1991 had 34 senior teams across 3 Divisions that year, only 16 remain in the WFNL, 4 have transferred to other comps and 14 clubs have folded. 7 new senior clubs have joined since 1991 and remain in 2024.

Interesting no Hoppers Crossing or Altona as both have been fairly consistent over that 33 year period.

Spotty v Albion
Kingsville v Seddon
Parkside v St.Albans
Port Colts v Ascot Vale

I could see West Footscray making a comeback into Division 1 in the next 5-10 years and staying there for a while ... if they go about it the right way.

There is a bit of Yarraville/Seddon about them being in a re-gentrified area with younger families moving in and starting to see more of there junior sides playing and being competitive in A-Grade divisions.

What other teams were in A2 (D2).
Love the history!

For the record:

1991 A2

*Altona City (eventually dropped 'City')
*Hoppers Crossing
^North Essendon (from EDFL, old Essendon High SOB)
North Sunshine
*West Newport
Williamstown United
^Coburg Districts (from then back to EDFL)
*Newport (not the current club)
*Central Altona (expelled about 2005)
#East Brunswick
Braybrook
*Sunshine Heights

A2 Section2 (D3)

#braybrook YCW
*Laverton
Glenorden
A.N.B.Y. (Altona North Brooklyn Youth)
# Newlands Coburg
Wembley Park (ex Kingsville YMCA)
RAAF Melbourne
*Wyndhamvale
Sandridge
Sunshine VRI

* ex WSFL
# ex YCW
^ ex EDFL

Was a time of great change, the FDFL had recently absorbed the old Western Suburbs FL, the old YCW comp had folded and several ended up in the FDFL, and the EDFL had shedded their C Grade and several clubs transferred to the FDFL.

All from my memory, so happy to be corrected

For the record:

1991 A2

*Hoppers Crossing
North Sunshine
*West Newport
Williamstown United
#East Brunswick
Braybrook
*Sunshine Heights

A2 Section2 (D3)

#braybrook YCW
*Laverton
Glenorden
# Newlands Coburg
RAAF Melbourne
*Wyndhamvale
Sandridge
Sunshine VRI

* ex WSFL
# ex YCW
^ ex EDFL

Was a time of great change, the FDFL had recently absorbed the old Western Suburbs FL, the old YCW comp had folded and several ended up in the FDFL, and the EDFL had shedded their C Grade and several clubs transferred to the FDFL.

Central Altona, ANBY, Wembley (Brooklyn) all within about 10 mins drive at most of each other and all folded.

The current Newport FC seems to think they’ve taken on the history of the previous club with “Est 1888” in there current logo.

For the record:

1991 A2

*Hoppers Crossing
North Sunshine
*West Newport
Williamstown United
#East Brunswick
Braybrook
*Sunshine Heights

A2 Section2 (D3)

#braybrook YCW
*Laverton
Glenorden
# Newlands Coburg
RAAF Melbourne
*Wyndhamvale
Sandridge
Sunshine VRI

* ex WSFL
# ex YCW
^ ex EDFL

When did the RAAF last play up to what year? I’ve followed FDFL / Western since 1995 and can’t ever recall them having a team in the comp in that period?
I also remember a team at Nth Melb / Kensington in the late 90s but there not on this list……what was their history?

Central Altona, ANBY, Wembley (Brooklyn) all within about 10 mins drive at most of each other and all folded.

The current Newport FC seems to think they’ve taken on the history of the previous club with “Est 1888” in there current logo.
Any club founded in (say) 1895 and then goes into hibernation (read disbanded) for 25 years from (say) 1980, and a club of the same name reappears is not the same entity.

Different people on committees, different guernsey, different colours, different playing oval and no documented proof that the club existed during their absentee period.

There is no link and such a club is living a falsehood as that new club was founded in 2005 or thereabouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did the RAAF last play up to what year? I’ve followed FDFL / Western since 1995 and can’t ever recall them having a team in the comp in that period?
I also remember a team at Nth Melb / Kensington in the late 90s but there not on this list……what was their history?
The Willi CYs left the WRFL after the 1983 season and I can remember playing against RAAF (Laverton, I think) a couple of times. They were only in it for a couple of seasons. I think they wore a yellow strip with blue trimmings.

The Willi CYs left the WRFL after the 1983 season and I can remember playing against RAAF (Laverton, I think) a couple of times. They were only in it for a couple of seasons. I think they wore a yellow strip with blue trimmings.
Wonder if there was ever a Laverton derby in the 80's? What a crowd that would have been :D

RAAF Melbourne are listed in the 1991 FDFL fixture book as playing in A2/Sec 2 (D3), with no reserves, playing at RAAF Laverton and wearing "Royal Blue with Gold Wings". By 1993 they were only playing in A3 (thirds). Not listed in my 1996 book. Might be wrong, but I recall a RAAF team playing at RAAF Tottenham in the early 80's?

North Melbourne & Kensington, I think came from the old YCW comp about 1986. They had 2 stints in the FDFL, their senior teams getting expelled about 1989 for on field issues. Their first spell, they wore Blue and White stripes and played at JJ Holland Park. Their seniors returned in 1992 or 93, wearing Royal Blue with a white sash, were again in A1 Division by 1998 but I think that was their last season, again being expelled for the final time.

RAAF Melbourne are listed in the 1991 FDFL fixture book as playing in A2/Sec 2 (D3), with no reserves, playing at RAAF Laverton and wearing "Royal Blue with Gold Wings". By 1993 they were only playing in A3 (thirds). Not listed in my 1996 book. Might be wrong, but I recall a RAAF team playing at RAAF Tottenham in the early 80's?

North Melbourne & Kensington, I think came from the old YCW comp about 1986. They had 2 stints in the FDFL, their senior teams getting expelled about 1989 for on field issues. Their first spell, they wore Blue and White stripes and played at JJ Holland Park. Their seniors returned in 1992 or 93, wearing Royal Blue with a white sash, were again in A1 Division by 1998 but I think that was their last season, again being expelled for the final time.
Yes mate the RAAF played at there Tottenham base where the big plane was.

Nth Melb Ken were a decent side just to much on field and off field issues. They weren’t alone but just couldn’t seem to reel it in. West Newport were another side who had had issues. Scary time if you played those 2 clubs and even in the crowd it could get scary. But sides like Albion, Sunshine, West Footscray, Wembley Park would take them on as they were tough hard sides. But fair but those boys could handle themselves well.
From memory I always remember people telling me West Newport hated sides like Hoppers and Albion as they had some policemen in their side.
Anyone remember the West Newport v Hoppers final at Yarraville. Wow wee that got scary. One on one Hoppers probably had them but West Newport had big crowd numbers!

What about the final at Yarraville when Bones McGee instructed his players to run through the other side during the pre game warm ups. I know one team was West Footscray but can’t recall the other. Was it St Albans?? Was McGee at St Albans then?

Laverton are puling out a commemorative jumper this year for there 100th anniversary and going back to the old Port Adelaide style prison bar which they wore in the 90's before the Western Magpies name change. Great jumper! Should be a permanent change.

Been good to see North Footscray, Albanvale, West Footscray go back to there original jumpers over the last few years . For me simple is better.

Laverton are puling out a commemorative jumper this year for there 100th anniversary and going back to the old Port Adelaide style prison bar which they wore in the 90's before the Western Magpies name change. Great jumper! Should be a permanent change.

Been good to see North Footscray, Albanvale, West Footscray go back to there original jumpers over the last few years . For me simple is better.

Good on Lavo, 100 years is an excellent achievement. The area has certainly changed since 1924, would have been a small country town surrounded by paddocks back then, now a residential suburb.

Think that makes them the 3rd oldest of the current WFNL clubs behind only Parkside and Braybrook, happy to be corrected.

Don't mind the Port Adelaide jumper myself, but wondering why they chose that jumper and not their original jumper when founded? That would have really been special. Is the Port jumper the one they wore for their last senior premiership in 1989, I think?

Hope 2024 can be a turning point for them.

What was their original guernsey design?
Not sure MW, but recent post said the Port jumper was used just prior to the club changing its name to the "Western Magpies" which was around 2000. So the Port jumper mustn't have been the original. Wikipedia shows an all black jumper with a white vrrtical stripe on the right hand side of the jumper......but that's Wikipedia, wouldn't bet my life on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back