Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Since the last post in this group:
  • Glen Orden are in recess. Are they likely at all to come back after folding for a second time?
  • Rumours are that Manor Lakes will look to re-establish a senior program with there current crop of juniors the catalyst. Parents and current junior players seem to love the club. Hoping for a potential 2025-2026 return to senior football without the mistakes of paying out big $$$ like in the past.
  • Are we hearing anything about more clubs defecting to rival competitions?

• Glen Orden are in recess. Are they likely at all to come back after folding for a second time?
  • Rumours are that Manor Lakes will look to re-establish a senior program with there current crop of juniors the catalyst. Parents and current junior players seem to love the club. Hoping for a potential 2025-2026 return to senior football without the mistakes of paying out big $$$ like in the past.

Heard Glen Orden pulled out because the council wouldn’t re-do the ground but could be either back next season or move?

WRFL should approach Rockbank to merge with Aintree and join Div 3, as well as Eynesbury in juniors.
Melton RDFL, Bacchus and Darley should be asked to join Div1
Burnside Div 2
Port Melbourne may come back now DP is gone?
Westbourne Grammar?
Williamstown CYMS?

The rumoured clubs to be leaving, Caroline Springs and Parkside to EDFL.
Spotty to Southern League.

If those 3 were to happen, AFLVic need to intervene.

The rumoured clubs to be leaving, Caroline Springs and Parkside to EDFL.
Spotty to Southern League.

If those 3 were to happen, AFLVic need to intervene.
Out of curiosity, why would they want to leave? What would they get from those leagues that they cannot get in the WRFL?

Heard Glen Orden pulled out because the council wouldn’t re-do the ground but could be either back next season or move?

WRFL should approach Rockbank to merge with Aintree and join Div 3, as well as Eynesbury in juniors.
Burnside Div 2
Westbourne Grammar?
Williamstown CYMS?
Bacchus marsh and darley are less than 0 chance to ever join the Wrfl

They would lose their netball on saturdays at the same venue also are genuine country clubs

Westbourne grammar have folded

Melton south are the ones that should be approached as they’re not competitive in the Ballarat league

Future doesn't look great whilst some clubs are looking for the exits & others are falling over.
I can't say that I'm a fan of comps raiding one another but good luck getting other clubs to join when the powers that be can't keep their existing members engaged.
The EDFL have taken on clubs from both the RDFNL & WRFL, is there any chance of AFLVic telling them to ggf?
If many more go, the comps may as well merge (which I know gets raised from time to time).

Future doesn't look great whilst some clubs are looking for the exits & others are falling over.
I can't say that I'm a fan of comps raiding one another but good luck getting other clubs to join when the powers that be can't keep their existing members engaged.
The EDFL have taken on clubs from both the RDFNL & WRFL, is there any chance of AFLVic telling them to ggf?
If many more go, the comps may as well merge (which I know gets raised from time to time).
If Spotty and Caroline Springs go, the competition isn't viable.

Lucky for the comp Point Cook and Werribee Districts came back, imagine what it would look like without them at the moment.

If they lose anymore division 1 clubs, then AFL Vic need to over throw the comp and look to amalgamate leagues.

The competition is on real thin ice at the moment.

EDFL and WRFL will merge and be the one comp within five years.
And perhaps a Werribee league created - Altona through to Wyndhamvale and then across to Tarneit. Enough teams to have a comp and perhaps may draw a couple of other clubs like Werribee centrals.

I

Burnside Div 2
Westbourne Grammar?
Williamstown CYMS?
I’ve got more chance of getting Sydney Sweeny to come round and take me tonsil deep than WRFL do getting Darley and the Cobras to come across. Both very happy making up the eastern half of the Ballarat league

And perhaps a Werribee league created - Altona through to Wyndhamvale and then across to Tarneit. Enough teams to have a comp and perhaps may draw a couple of other clubs like Werribee centrals.
Unless the league wants to compensate werribee centrals 50k per season, then this conversation is pointless.

Each GDFL club gets 50k from Buckley's every year. Centrals aren't going anywhere

Out of curiosity, why would they want to leave? What would they get from those leagues that they cannot get in the WRFL?
I’d assume greater competition, juniors seems more organised as well possibly?

In the case of Caroline Springs, they got more EDFL clubs within a 10k radius of them than they do WRFL clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New CEO starts in 4 weeks, hope he hits the ground running and gets around the clubs quickly.

Looks well qualified with good experience, hope he works out better than the last one, certainly the league needs him too.

Been touted for a few years now, would be a good addition, think divisional football would suit them.

Plenty of potential as that area grows.
Agree, they wanted to come across last year but were told to wait by AFL VIC.

They recruited a great deal this year but are still struggling to compete given the gap in that comp so decision is again solidified at their club and will look to join 2024.

Got to be a troll this bloke.
I've got no problems with Rockbank coming across, however we are losing from the top end and replenishing with clubs that haven't won a game for 3 years....

I'm extremely concerned about the standard of the league.

I've got no problems with Rockbank coming across, however we are losing from the top end and replenishing with clubs that haven't won a game for 3 years....

I'm extremely concerned about the standard of the league.
Everything you seem to post seems to be negative. Will be good to see them in div 3 WRFL where they will be much more suited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back