Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Lavertons first jumper I believe was a an all black jumper with white diagonal stripe. Then they went to Collingwood stripes. The premiership was won with a half/half black and white jumper. I reckon they changed to port prison bars in the early 90’s and used them until 1999. The original Western Magpies jumper wasn’t a bad one either!

I could be wrong with the order but I think it’s right. Even went as far to ask a Laverton life member over a couple of beers.

Last edited:
Had cause to visit Crofts Reserve in Altona North last week (100 years of Altona North CC) and was very impressed with the $10m redevelopment. Great new rooms, 6 change rooms and now 3 cricket / footy grounds.

The Jets call it home on the main ground and the Superules are also tenants, just a pity there's no WFNL team there. Was talk of a new start up footy club there just prior to Covid, the group was being encouraged by the WRFL then, but seems Covid killed that movement off.

Seems a bit of a waste.

Looks like the name change is official. The logo though, looks more like a logo for a transport company than a sporting league 🙃

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 55

Had cause to visit Crofts Reserve in Altona North last week (100 years of Altona North CC) and was very impressed with the $10m redevelopment. Great new rooms, 6 change rooms and now 3 cricket / footy grounds.

The Jets call it home on the main ground and the Superules are also tenants, just a pity there's no WFNL team there. Was talk of a new start up footy club there just prior to Covid, the group was being encouraged by the WRFL then, but seems Covid killed that movement off.

Seems a bit of a waste.

I agree with you ‘not yet Dead Doggie’.

It won't happen: it doesn't seem that anybody on this side of the Yarra is interested in anything but their own clubs.
Therefore the future looks grim. Insular personified!

A great facility, and hopefully the Jets, Supers and possibly the disadvantaged (FIDA) make good use of it.

St Paul’s College did use it for their inter-college games, and if they now don’t, let’s hope that they resume there.

Local WRFL club members won’t support a new club as it would drain the thin amount of talent that’s currently there.

The WRFL won’t either, nor will the AFL. I approached the WRFL to assist in the founding of a new primary schools’ competition.

The WRFL advised me to contact the AFL.
The AFL advised me to contact the WRFL.
Touché – snookered.

That’s it for me, “adieu”.

BUT I’m still willing if I can get some help; can't do it on my own, will need at least 5 of us. Just drop a line on this forum.

But let's all band together and sing the praises of the WRFL. You know you want to.

View attachment 1922724
Smart a..e. And I still owe you a beer, or is it that you owe me one?
Can't remember. Must get together for a chat!
Anyway, I'd love to help as you know, but too many can't pull their heads out of their ...... you know the rest.

Just spit balling here but could reasons for new logo be:
• further link to Western Bulldogs with colour scheme pattern of logo for sponsorship/academies etc?
• WRFL name change to WFNL, logo more inclusive of women with the W?
• No direct inference of a footy league in the logo, hence more than just a footy league
• I notice that the CEO came from another league with an established netball comp, trying to emulate?

Before you all come at me, I haven't said I like the logo

My issue is that you see the logo and have no idea what it is for - as someone said earlier it looks like it is a logo for a public transport company.

I looked at seven league logos at random and in the Eastern FNL, Northern FNL, Heathcote District FNL, Kyabram District League and Colac DFNL ones there is a football and a netball, an oval shape inside a round shape or the silhouettes of footballers and netballers. The Loddon Valley and Goulburn Valley ones didn't.

If I looked at the logo for the first time without the writing underneath I would have no hope in identifying what it was for - for mine, that is a fail in Marketing and Branding 101.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue is that you see the logo and have no idea what is is for - as someone said earlier it looks like it is a logo for a public transport company.

I looked at seven league logos at random and in the Eastern FNL, Northern FNL, Heathcote District FNL, Kyabram District League and Colac DFNL ones there is a football and a netball, an oval shape inside a round shape or the silhouettes of footballers and netballers. The Loddon Valley and Goulburn Valley ones didn't.

If I looked at the logo for the first time without the writing underneath I would have no hope if identifying what it was for - for mine, that is a fail in Marketing and Branding 101.
Well said.
Ballarat FNL has a footy, a netball & the Southern Cross - no prizes for guessing what the logo is for.
A cursory glance should inform what it is.
The WRFL logo could be anything from Professional Wrestling to freight..

I agree with you ‘not yet Dead Doggie’.

It won't happen: it doesn't seem that anybody on this side of the Yarra is interested in anything but their own clubs.
Therefore the future looks grim. Insular personified!

A great facility, and hopefully the Jets, Supers and possibly the disadvantaged (FIDA) make good use of it.

St Paul’s College did use it for their inter-college games, and if they now don’t, let’s hope that they resume there.

Local WRFL club members won’t support a new club as it would drain the thin amount of talent that’s currently there.

The WRFL won’t either, nor will the AFL. I approached the WRFL to assist in the founding of a new primary schools’ competition.

The WRFL advised me to contact the AFL.
The AFL advised me to contact the WRFL.
Touché – snookered.

That’s it for me, “adieu”.

BUT I’m still willing if I can get some help; can't do it on my own, will need at least 5 of us. Just drop a line on this forum.

If it’s any consolation (and it’s probably not) the AFL are equally useless in this area wherever you are.

Auskick is a good thing once you get them in, but try to put something in place to get more younger kids (particularly from backgrounds that are not traditionally footy focused) and they are woeful.

They might give a bit of money to some school program the government dreams up… it gets implemented by some Grade 2 teacher who has never picked up a footy in their life and doesn’t know how to make it fun for kids.

All the big money goes into NSW and Queensland because they see that as delivering more TV viewers.

If it’s any consolation (and it’s probably not) the AFL are equally useless in this area wherever you are.

Auskick is a good thing once you get them in, but try to put something in place to get more younger kids (particularly from backgrounds that are not traditionally footy focused) and they are woeful.

They might give a bit of money to some school program the government dreams up… it gets implemented by some Grade 2 teacher who has never picked up a footy in their life and doesn’t know how to make it fun for kids.

All the big money goes into NSW and Queensland because they see that as delivering more TV viewers.
Can we try?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back