Future of the WRFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Wyndham council newsletter shows the exponential growth out this side (from 217000 to 292000 in 5 years) and the population breakdown. Half the residents are born overseas, 51000 from India, 9500 from NZ, 7500 from China (plus lots of others). 49.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home. Point Cook has a similar breakdown with even more born overseas, the majority from India but China running second.

These guys aren't flocking to local footy clubs. Well, they do, but not to play footy. As I've lamented in the past, it'll be windy and raining in June and the club be scratching to field junior teams, but the cricket nets will be in constant use by Indian kids and their dads, from early morning until after the final siren for the seniors. Concrete or astroturf cricket pitches on other ovals have organised or unofficial games on them year round. (Thinking of the three ovals alongside Laverton's ground.) You can't pitch footy as the sport cricketers play in winter, because the cricketers don't take a break. Soccer and rugby are going great guns.

You can shuffle deckchairs all you want, but you can't argue with demographics and force people to play. You have to make the clubs attractive enough to draw people in who otherwise wouldn't consider Aussie Rules for their kids.
Let's start off with a Primary school competition where non Aussie Rules students will be introduced to our game. One or two schools could be sponsored by a club with a good chance of their players gravitating to a junior club. It is known that once players from Non-AFL families are introduced to our game, they love not only the game, but the parents have an inclusive feeling being part of an Aussie establishment.

Let's start off with a Primary school competition where non Aussie Rules students will be introduced to our game. One or two schools could be sponsored by a club with a good chance of their players gravitating to a junior club. It is known that once players from Non-AFL families are introduced to our game, they love not only the game, but the parents have an inclusive feeling being part of an Aussie establishment.

SPOT ON. I have been going blue in the face about this stuff.

Need a few more voices like this.

Clubs should provide schools some jumpers and kids might just feel apart of that club already for having worn the jumper.

Just a thought

This might be of interest to you...

Nine-a-side primary school comp launched

SPOT ON. I have been going blue in the face about this stuff.

Need a few more voices like this.

Clubs should provide schools some jumpers and kids might just feel apart of that club already for having worn the jumper.

Just a thought
Perhaps the AFL/WRFL could advertise for a person or group to start work on such an agenda.
My Dad (God bless him) had a great saying; "Hasten slowly".
It will start slowly with a few teams and slowly build.

AFL have done a great job coordinating, albeit with the schools contributing.
I couldn't find any Wyndham schools on the list?

Come on WRFL clubs, get into it!
The Wyndham based schools will be playing at South Barwon Reserve. Only 20 schools are participating at this stage, but at least it is a start. Hopefully it will be run well and more schools will get involved in future years.

I have noticed more and more families of Indian origin attending AFL games. Not just attending, but decked out in supporter gear and with memberships. I think this is fantastic! Great to see them getting involved. Lets hope some of these people are from the Wyndham area and not only support but are also willing to participate.

I have noticed more and more families of Indian origin attending AFL games. Not just attending, but decked out in supporter gear and with memberships. I think this is fantastic! Great to see them getting involved. Lets hope some of these people are from the Wyndham area and not only support but are also willing to participate.
Plenty of blokes I went to high school with of Indian, Lankan, Bangladeshi, Pakistani background are now massive footy fans, in spite of the fact that they never played as kids.

(I’m of Lankan origin but my dad’s family came here in the 60s when there was no one else around really bar Anglos and Europeans so they kind of crash assimilated and ended up playing footy from day 1, I guess the cricket connection would’ve helped too)

Anyway, the blokes I’m talking about were either all born here or families moved over when they were tiny. I’m in my late 20s and obviously this cohort are beginning to have kids. Bookmark a lot of these kids playing footy in 10 years time.

Plenty of blokes I went to high school with of Indian, Lankan, Bangladeshi, Pakistani background are now massive footy fans, in spite of the fact that they never played as kids.

(I’m of Lankan origin but my dad’s family came here in the 60s when there was no one else around really bar Anglos and Europeans so they kind of crash assimilated and ended up playing footy from day 1, I guess the cricket connection would’ve helped too)

Anyway, the blokes I’m talking about were either all born here or families moved over when they were tiny. I’m in my late 20s and obviously this cohort are beginning to have kids. Bookmark a lot of these kids playing footy in 10 years time.
Hopefully putting their toes in the water playing in the new Wyndham Primary Schools' AFL competition (Werribee Football Club Cup [and a pennant]) before graduating to a local WRFL junior team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Inviting responses" tells me they are putting it out to the clubs. I doubt the lower clubs in Div 3 will be overly supportive of it.
As the 3rd Division appears destined to be subsumed into the higher Division having 10 teams in Division 1 and perhaps 12 teams in Division 2.

The Division 2 teams could be divided into 3 blocks of 4 teams, being Stronger, Medium and Weaker. Teams in each (pseudo) section play each other twice and the teams in the other two sections only once. That's 14 rounds.

The remaining 3 games are then played amongst the 4 teams within your team's current pseudo 4 sides as they sit on the ladder after 14 rounds. That's 17 rounds and hopefully a fair outcome. A final 6 perhaps?

As the 3rd Division appears destined to be subsumed into the higher Division having 10 teams in Division 1 and perhaps 12 teams in Division 2.

The Division 2 teams could be divided into 3 blocks of 4 teams, being Stronger, Medium and Weaker. Teams in each (pseudo) section play each other twice and the teams in the other two sections only once. That's 14 rounds.

The remaining 3 games are then played amongst the 4 teams within your team's current pseudo 4 sides as they sit on the ladder after 14 rounds. That's 17 rounds and hopefully a fair outcome. A final 6 perhaps?
Actually do not mind it

Pretty cool idea Seaside, can only see advantage.

Don’t mind the thought…..but having a floating fixture for Rounds 15-17 and having to wait and see if your team is scheduled for a home match or not…..not sure if teams will take up the option. Also 17 games….how can you best justify to a club that this year you are only getting 8 home matches against others who will get 9.

Don’t mind the thought…..but having a floating fixture for Rounds 15-17 and having to wait and see if your team is scheduled for a home match or not…..not sure if teams will take up the option. Also 17 games….how can you best justify to a club that this year you are only getting 8 home matches against others who will get 9.
Teams play one game at home and 2 on a neutral. Fair's fair then,
OR the lower ranked of the 4 teams plays two home games.

It's basically to run the same way division 1 is being run with the third fixtures this season as I see it

Since the last post in this group:
  • Glen Orden are in recess. Are they likely at all to come back after folding for a second time?
  • Rumours are that Manor Lakes will look to re-establish a senior program with there current crop of juniors the catalyst. Parents and current junior players seem to love the club. Hoping for a potential 2025-2026 return to senior football without the mistakes of paying out big $$$ like in the past.
  • Are we hearing anything about more clubs defecting to rival competitions?

Noticed Manor Lakes have appointed an U18s coach for 2024 after their first U16 side started this season.

Hopefully seniors maybe 2025 or 2026.

Noticed Manor Lakes have appointed an U18s coach for 2024 after their first U16 side started this season.

Hopefully seniors maybe 2025 or 2026.
Yeah. I know quite a few people down there they’re very optimistic about having a senior side at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back