Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it's the same but WA Today has this:

Sport Integrity Australia is reportedly probing the death of a former Melbourne and Fremantle player as part of its investigation into the AFL’s illicit drug policy.

Harley Balic died in January 2022, days after his 25th birthday.

Two people close to Balic, who would not speak publicly because of the sensitivities of his case, have confirmed to this masthead that he battled drug addiction, anxiety and mental health issues.

The Herald Sun reported on Wednesday that Balic’s case was referenced in a statement made by former Melbourne doctor Zeeshan Arain, which was handed to SIA by federal MP Andrew Wilkie last month, and that Dr Arain had been interviewed by SIA investigators.
The Herald Sun reported that Dr Arain said in his statement: “Often list management is used to solve a lot of problems.

“It gets to the point where they (AFL clubs) are like, ’Well, if we can’t help this player, we will move them on.

“And the problem is that the player doesn’t cease to exist to be a person once they are not in your club, the duty of care still goes on.

“Take Harley Balic, for example. A few years after Harley Balic left the Melbourne Football Club he was dead related to drug use.”
At the time of Balic’s death Victoria Police said they would prepare a report for the coroner.

His death was not treated as suspicious.
Sport Integrity Australia announced in March it would investigate allegations around illicit drug tests in the AFL, following accusations made in Parliament by Wilkie.

Wilkie claimed in the House of Representatives that club doctors were conducting tests in the week leading up to a match on players who had previously failed an illicit drug test for banned substances to avoid running foul of anti-doping rules and risking long bans from the sport.

Wilkie said others alleged that players who failed these tests were then rested, “ostensibly on account of injury”.

Dr Arain has since told this masthead he did not intend to blow up the AFL’s illicit drugs policy or the use “of-the-books” tests to protect players from testing positive to performance-enhancing drugs on match day.
“I wasn’t attacking the illicit drugs policy,” Arain said. “I wanted to expose cultural problems, not off-the-books testing.
“My comments about the testing were just factual. I wasn’t revealing a scandal. The illicit drugs policy is probably one of the better things the AFL does. If this becomes a strict name and shame policy and I have contributed to that, I will feel really remorseful for the players.”

Balic played four games for the Dockers at the start of 2017 after they drafted him at pick 38 in the 2015 AFL national draft. He also played in Peel Thunder’s 2016 premiership team. He spoke openly about his battles with mental health and anxiety during his career.
Sport Integrity Australia declined to comment.

A talented junior basketballer, Balic began his football career with Mordialloc Braeside in Melbourne’s south-east before becoming All-Australian at under-18 level having played for Vic Metro.

Slightly different than the HS article but same crux

In July 2017, Fremantle announced that Balic had been granted “indefinite leave” by the club after “injuring his hamstring at training”, subsequent to another leave of absence for a “personal issue”.

Not sure if it's the same but WA Today has this:

Sport Integrity Australia is reportedly probing the death of a former Melbourne and Fremantle player as part of its investigation into the AFL’s illicit drug policy.

Harley Balic died in January 2022, days after his 25th birthday.

Two people close to Balic, who would not speak publicly because of the sensitivities of his case, have confirmed to this masthead that he battled drug addiction, anxiety and mental health issues.

The Herald Sun reported on Wednesday that Balic’s case was referenced in a statement made by former Melbourne doctor Zeeshan Arain, which was handed to SIA by federal MP Andrew Wilkie last month, and that Dr Arain had been interviewed by SIA investigators.
The Herald Sun reported that Dr Arain said in his statement: “Often list management is used to solve a lot of problems.

“It gets to the point where they (AFL clubs) are like, ’Well, if we can’t help this player, we will move them on.

“And the problem is that the player doesn’t cease to exist to be a person once they are not in your club, the duty of care still goes on.

“Take Harley Balic, for example. A few years after Harley Balic left the Melbourne Football Club he was dead related to drug use.”
At the time of Balic’s death Victoria Police said they would prepare a report for the coroner.

His death was not treated as suspicious.
Sport Integrity Australia announced in March it would investigate allegations around illicit drug tests in the AFL, following accusations made in Parliament by Wilkie.

Wilkie claimed in the House of Representatives that club doctors were conducting tests in the week leading up to a match on players who had previously failed an illicit drug test for banned substances to avoid running foul of anti-doping rules and risking long bans from the sport.

Wilkie said others alleged that players who failed these tests were then rested, “ostensibly on account of injury”.

Dr Arain has since told this masthead he did not intend to blow up the AFL’s illicit drugs policy or the use “of-the-books” tests to protect players from testing positive to performance-enhancing drugs on match day.
“I wasn’t attacking the illicit drugs policy,” Arain said. “I wanted to expose cultural problems, not off-the-books testing.
“My comments about the testing were just factual. I wasn’t revealing a scandal. The illicit drugs policy is probably one of the better things the AFL does. If this becomes a strict name and shame policy and I have contributed to that, I will feel really remorseful for the players.”

Balic played four games for the Dockers at the start of 2017 after they drafted him at pick 38 in the 2015 AFL national draft. He also played in Peel Thunder’s 2016 premiership team. He spoke openly about his battles with mental health and anxiety during his career.
Sport Integrity Australia declined to comment.

A talented junior basketballer, Balic began his football career with Mordialloc Braeside in Melbourne’s south-east before becoming All-Australian at under-18 level having played for Vic Metro.
Seemed also to be saying he saw players taking drugs when he first arrived at Fremantle in 2015 and became an addict.

And the official AFL policy that didn't even let his parent know, enabled this addiction.

Did he only start taking drugs when he arrived at Fremantle?

Did the AFL 'official' policy enable him when he became addicted, to keep taking them after failing drug tests many times?
He slid in the draft, was touted as a top 10 by some, that tells you these issues were known

I can't answer your second question, the policy should have seen him get help, help doesn't always work

He slid in the draft, was touted as a top 10 by some, that tells you these issues were known

I can't answer your second question, the policy should have seen him get help, help doesn't always work
Article doesn’t seem to mention we traded him to Melbourne, his drug issues could have escalated there before they delisted him, it is the Melbourne doctor making these claims after all.

Article doesn’t seem to mention we traded him to Melbourne, his drug issues could have escalated there before they delisted him, it is the Melbourne doctor making these claims after all.
Don't think playing the blame game on Melbourne is the right call here

Freo (as do every other club) have/had lads who like to partake

It's a society thing, not a Freo/demons thing

Don't think playing the blame game on Melbourne is the right call here

Freo (as do every other club) have/had lads who like to partake

It's a society thing, not a Freo/demons thing
I wasn’t trying to play the blame game, just find it interesting that the article that is based on evidence provided by the Melbourne doctor seems to gloss over the fact he was last on the Melbourne list and only mentions his time at Freo. He could have arrived at Melbourne from freo with the addiction or he could have developed it while there, we have no idea from the outside it’s all speculation and innuendo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article I read, which I think was the PerthNow version actually does say Balic's dad is pointing the finger at Melbourne.

The article I read, which I think was the PerthNow version actually does say Balic's dad is pointing the finger at Melbourne.

Whatever club he went to it would have been the same. The afl environment is tough for mentally strong people let alone someone who is already struggling in that area. Pardon the pun but point the finger is missing the point

Honestly, I actually can’t fathom why the club would have set Harley up to live with Yarran and Bennell when he first arrived here. Nothing against either of those guys who were battling their own demons, but Balic was just a kid. God it’s so sad.
Ross choked up when talking about him in his presser. It's horrible. He was just 25, that's really heartbreaking

Honestly, I actually can’t fathom why the club would have set Harley up to live with Yarran and Bennell when he first arrived here. Nothing against either of those guys who were battling their own demons, but Balic was just a kid. God it’s so sad.
Did they actually do that? Sounds made up, yarren was a married man with children why would he be having roomates?

Did they actually do that? Sounds made up, yarren was a married man with children why would he be having roomates?
I thought he was paired up with Bennell, but not 100% sure if that was the case. Pretty sure Yarran retired in 2017, no? He wasn't on the playing list when Balic debuted, I think (??)

Whatever club he went to it would have been the same. The afl environment is tough for mentally strong people let alone someone who is already struggling in that area. Pardon the pun but point the finger is missing the point
Fair call, I was trying to counteract our own victim mentality as fans because some people had said why is it on us and not Melbourne. I was pointing out that Balic's dad had not mentioned Fremantle in the comments I saw, he had mentioned Melbourne and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back