Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

You want to do your best to raise your kids not to partake. Once they move out you don't have much of a say anymore.
You don't have a say in what they do. You can't control them. But you should at the very least be informed when they engage in life threatning behaviour.

There are thousands and thousands of people aged anywhere from 15 to 35 (or more) taking legal and illegal drugs every week and putting their lives in danger. Is someone telling their parents?

No.
And how many OD because no one could help them?

It’s not a good thing.

Not to mention taking drugs recreationally is one thing, and completely different to being dependent on them in your day to day life. If your mate was in that same position and you knew about it you would just keep it a secret from the rest of his family? What is the benefit in that?

Maturity is not a function of a number in a birth certificate.
The correspondence may not be 1:1 but maturity is a function of your age. Anyhow, legal definitions certainly go by DOB and then there is wriggle room around this defined point.

It’s not a good thing.

Not to mention taking drugs recreationally is one thing, and completely different to being dependent on them in your day to day life. If your mate was in that same position and you knew about it you would just keep it a secret from the rest of his family? What is the benefit in that?
I think a lot of people are making a lot of unfounded assumptions about the extent of Harley's drug use when he was at Freo and Melbourne. Drugs can get you kicked out of a footy club WAY before they become serious life/death matters.

I think a lot of people are making a lot of unfounded assumptions about the extent of Harley's drug use when he was at Freo and Melbourne. Drugs can get you kicked out of a footy club WAY before they become serious life/death matters.
The fact that he had so many strikes in such a short amount of time should tell you that it was a serious problem

I hope today’s game means we no longer hear from the Sam Collins Fan Club that we should never have let him go. Spudded it up dreadfully all day.

Does Collins even have a fan club on here?

He has been an average player in one of the worst teams in the comp for years, he regularly has bags kicked on him.

We don't miss him at all.

He had one purple patch of a season (2020 in shorter games so there was less scoring anyway) but otherwise he is just an average player.

Solid foot soldier but just plain average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not a good thing.

Two different things. Mates could say something but club/doctors can’t for legal reasons (blame law, lawyers, lawsuits etc for that) since there’s that “medical” adjective attached to it.
I actually agree with your sentiments as a parent and I don’t like this system at all but that’s the law.
I was recently informed by Medicare and private health insurance provider that I no longer have access to my son’s records since he turned 18. If he gets any medical attention that he doesn’t voluntarily tell me about, I’ll have no idea whatsoever.

Weller will always have my respect for netting us Brayshaw, yeah the exit was tough but still, he netted us that draft hand.
That means he's also indirectly responsible for us getting Amiss too. Should probably get in the Freo Hall of Fame to be fair.

Gee wasn’t Bennell just a waste of space. Worst player traded in off field and on field. Balic’s family should be blaming him not the organisations of Dockers and Melbourne.

I doubt a sports club, a sports club located at Gold Coast of all places, needed much effort to introduce drugs into the environment. And I doubt Balic or Bennell were teetotalers before entering the AFL system. I think there are societal issues here that can't be solved within an industry that hands hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to young men.

As a club we have attempted to act as a good club in trying to rehabilitate some players. Bring them home and fix their problems.We have Others like Sylvia, was just bad bad management. But again, the club thought he was fixable, curable. But sadly not.
Glady, the club have realised that being a half way house was never going to work.And hopefully we will never go down that road again.
I am not including Harley Balic in any of this. Who know how, when or why he began with his issues. The club knew he had problems(personal). Did they know it was drug related, who knows.
But it is my belief that Harley Balic asked to be traded to Melbourne.Not a case of Fremantle off loading him because of his issues.
A sad story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back