Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Harley Balic story is one of true sadness.

I have no idea what happened during his time at Fremantle but having it brought up again today reminded me of his tragic ending and made me cry.

I can't imagine how his parents must feel every day and the pain that there son is gone.

Lobb confirmed to have a 4 year deal, I remember people recently saying it wasn't a thing but ye, Freo supporters remember everything Young says 😂

I was quite sure it was four years when I heard the words come out of Colin Young's mouth at Marvel on the last day of the trade period.

I was quite sure it was four years when I heard the words come out of Colin Young's mouth at Marvel on the last day of the trade period.
Yeah, think all Freo supporters knew it was 4 but dogs just didn't want to believe it

If you look in the Lobb thread on DTFA board when the trade happens, its all Freo supporters saying 4 year deal

This from the article where his father speaks up

It seems he was pissed off with not being made aware of his sons problems so he could help his son.
It's a very sad situation, but when it becomes a medical situation and in particular when the "patient" is over 18 yrs, medical confidentiality will usurp disclosure of an issue(s) to parents. As a parent, I don't like it, but medical confidentiality is taken extremely seriously.

It's a very sad situation, but when it becomes a medical situation and in particular when the "patient" is over 18 yrs, medical confidentiality will usurp disclosure of an issue(s) to parents. As a parent, I don't like it, but medical confidentiality is taken extremely seriously.
I get that for a normal job but AFL is very different to a normal job. Kids are finishing high school and moving across the country straight away with no experience living outside of home before. The club always gets the parents and families over and takes them on a tour/induction of the club and there seems to be a lot of connection with the parents. Obviously no other job does this, so I don't think it's fair to bring up "no other job calls your parents about this stuff" because right from the get go it deviates from every other normal job.

I don't understand why they need to be so secretive about something so serious. If my kid is being made to go to the other side of the country with no life experiences then I'd want to feel safe knowing that they were being cared for. It's negligence by the club and the AFL to not inform the families of these kids how about a literally life threatening situation they've found themselves in under their care and guidance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that for a normal job but AFL is very different to a normal job. Kids are finishing high school and moving across the country straight away with no experience living outside of home before. The club always gets the parents and families over and takes them on a tour/induction of the club and there seems to be a lot of connection with the parents. Obviously no other job does this, so I don't think it's fair to bring up "no other job calls your parents about this stuff" because right from the get go it deviates from every other normal job.

I don't understand why they need to be so secretive about something so serious. If my kid is being made to go to the other side of the country with no life experiences then I'd want to feel safe knowing that they were being cared for. It's negligence by the club and the AFL to not inform the families of these kids how about a literally life threatening situation they've found themselves in under their care and guidance.
I don't understand why they need to be so secretive about something so serious.
Quite simply because if an 18yo Harley Balic says, 'No, don't tell my parents' then the club really can't. Especially if there is a whiff of medical confidentiality about it.
I understand the dad's sadness and that he's looking for 'If only's' but it is poor form to point the finger of blame at anyone without solid evidence. Who knows but there well might be staff at Melbourne and Freo beating themselves up about 'I could have and should have done more'. Those perspectives are sadly very common too. Unjustified accusations often can still cause an increase in feelings of guilt.

"The 'medical model' of the AFL drugs policy meant he was able to take drugs and not face penalties."

The AFL drug policy is being probed and because it is called a 'medical model', one of Balic's father's complaints is he (and usually coaches and support staff) were unaware of the extent of his problem, there seemed to be no rehabilitative pathway, just sweeping the problem under the carpet and then moving the player on with other excuses.

That did happen with Balic and others.

So is it just called a 'medical model' to get away with AFL drug regulations and leads to devastating health consequences?

Dangerfield was interviewed saying the policy has helped some along the journey, "but is it perfect? Absolutely not."

"The AFL says as a voluntary model rarely used around the world, players could opt out."

I wonder if it is rarely used because it hasn't been found to overcome addiction or repeated drug use?

But they can take drugs and not face penalties.

I don't understand why they need to be so secretive about something so serious.
Quite simply because if an 18yo Harley Balic says, 'No, don't tell my parents' then the club really can't. Especially if there is a whiff of medical confidentiality about it.
I understand the dad's sadness and that he's looking for 'If only's' but it is poor form to point the finger of blame at anyone without solid evidence. Who knows but there well might be staff at Melbourne and Freo beating themselves up about 'I could have and should have done more'. Those perspectives are sadly very common too. Unjustified accusations often can still cause an increase in feelings of guilt.
How 'medical' is the 'medical model'?

Where is the research showing it is effective in treating drug abuse or addiction?

AA wouldn't think so.

However there is a big business of rehabilitation centres in the US that have sprung up on a similar 'business' model exposed in, "Rehab Nation: Inside The Secret World of Celebrity Drug Rehabs"

It does not need to be a "normal job". If my 17 year old daughter went to her GP to get on the pill because she was sexually active, I would not be informed. Similarly if she went to the GP for assistance with drug issues, I would not be informed.

It does not need to be a "normal job". If my 17 year old daughter went to her GP to get on the pill because she was sexually active, I would not be informed. Similarly if she went to the GP for assistance with drug issues, I would not be informed.
Yeah but if your daughter had gotten to the point where she was so deep in drug addiction that it was a serious threat to her life and you weren't informed would you not feel the exact same way? If you put your daughter in the care of another family on the other side of the country and they were all aware of just how bad the addiction had gotten would you just not expect them to tell you? Drug use doesn't always fall under medical confidentiality.

Yeah but if your daughter had gotten to the point where she was so deep in drug addiction that it was a serious threat to her life and you weren't informed would you not feel the exact same way? If you put your daughter in the care of another family on the other side of the country and they were all aware of just how bad the addiction had gotten would you just not expect them to tell you? Drug use doesn't always fall under medical confidentiality.
Except it does!

My feelings would likely be similar to Harley's parents. Anger, denial, guilt, blame are all feelings commonly associated with the grief and loss cycle and I don't think I would be any different.

The way the AFL handles drug use is through a medical model, which like it or not, will ensure confidentiality. From Lyon's recent comments however it appears he knew some things and relayed them to Harley's family (mother in particular). The point I'm making is that this is a very complex issue (we as humans don't really like dealing with complex - we would rather a very clear answer) and no AFL policy will ever be able to account for every circumstance and (as another poster said) disclosing may make matters worse in some instances. It's a very sad ending and unfortunately there are many more stories like this in the broader community we don't hear about because these people are not in the AFL spotlight. It is these people that usually have far less supports than are available to AFL players. Unfortunately I see them too often working in Youth Justice.

Except it does!
Drug use isn’t a medical condition. Addiction is, but excessive use that the club would be aware of isn’t. Unless there’s some law that says otherwise, because I just can’t understand how using a banned substance is a medical issue

Drug use isn’t a medical condition. Addiction is, but excessive use that the club would be aware of isn’t. Unless there’s some law that says otherwise, because I just can’t understand how using a banned substance is a medical issue
It would still fall within doctor/patient confidentiality though. If I was a 20yo man and my club told my parents I had a drug problem, I’d have been livid.
For the record, I did have a drug problem in my early 20s but my parents both spotted it straight away, I still refused their help.

It would still fall within doctor/patient confidentiality though. If I was a 20yo man and my club told my parents I had a drug problem, I’d have been livid.
For the record, I did have a drug problem in my early 20s but my parents both spotted it straight away, I still refused their help.
Any kid would be livid, and then several years down the line they will realise that it was the right decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back