Think Tank 'Football’s Forgotten Years' - Respected former AFL commissioner COLIN CARTER launches his insightful book that looks to right the wrongs of this grea

Remove this Banner Ad

Two games and % clear on top of the ladder, winning our SEVENTEENTH flag on the back of a sixteen game winning streak - that's anything but a Bradbury my little Tiggie stalker. But deep down you know that, it was one of the most meritorious flags in recent history. No amount of moaning or mashing will ever change that, it's etched forever in history now. :smilev1:

View attachment 1629637

Geelong seem to be the only team that don't win Flags* - every other team has had some sort of unfair concession or advantage except the Cats.

You can't count premierships where players were playing in platform boots and walking around the ground snorting snuff

But snorting other things is okay? 🤔
afl prestia GIF by 7Sport

Great to hear. captain blood 17 you might want to get onto it quickly though, Amazon has it for sale at $23.09 but only two left in stock. This piece of literature moves fast.

I'll pass the hat around and see if we can get it to him for Christmas :)

So now Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Kevin Bartlett's daughter are acknowledging VFA flags in their clubs Premiership tally.
How the turntables have turned

Oh bro, they got to you? What happens maaaaaaaaan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, nice deflection. Like Geelongs 2023 season, you got nothing.

Sorry, Captain 13 Cups, news just in - your two VFA cups are illegitimate. Sorry to get your hopes up. Please pass on this new information to Captain Courageous and Jack.

There's no deflection - Geelong's 2023 season was unlucky, but given we've got a first round pick this year (who wouldn't?) we'll be right back in contention after a well earned full-preseason :)

Pretty sad seeing cats fans seeking comfort from a senile old man's book to hide from their abysmal premiership defense.
Oh how that one peat is quickly forgotten. Pathetic club

Reading comprehension, friend. There's a reason why some VFA flags count and others don't.
I understand this senile ****'s "reasoning", it goes like this.

1. "You forgot the VFA existed". We didn't. Collingwood is proud of its 1 VFA premiership, it was a nice start to our club's existence but we're more proud of 15 VFL/AFL flags. Nobody mentions the VFA flag much because our clubs don't play in that league: we left it.

2. "Geelong won premierships before there was a VFL". Plainly false, the Association did not award premierships until the 1890's. Geelong has 0 (zero) VFA premierships.

The flags Carter is trying to claim were just journalist's post hoc inventions. Be clear on this, there aren't any premierships for Carter to claim in the first place. They have been treated as legitimate as a merciful sop to an underperforming Geelong. Once there were flags to win, Geelong didn't win any.

Its OK, Geelong can pretend they won VFA flags because the 19th century versions of Blobbo and Caro said so, thats lovely even if its false. No one care because its not the Big League.

3. "Non VFA premierships do not count because they were played against non VFL sides" but many (perhaps most) of those VFA home and away wins Carter wants to magically transform into VFL premierships include a number of non VFL/AFL sides (eg in 1888 Hotham, Albert Park and West Melbourne were competing). This would disqualify them too under any rational thesis, but no, those wins are supposed somehow to count as Premierships.

There were several VFA grand finals where North and Richmond played one another, both were considered VFL standard (and well ahead of University for example), they were actual grand finals but somehow less "legitimate" because the VFL had already started? The mans a gibbering and inconsistent fool.

There is no case for non-league non-premierships to be recognised by the AFL. If there were any (and I don't agree there is), it would be Port's "champions of Australia" titles for example.

VFL/AFL flags: Geelong 10. It's a decent haul.

VFA flags: Geelong 0. You can pretend its 5, I honestly don't care because it's a minor league. Like I say, we won one, its not that big of a deal that you never did.

At least you were big back when there were two sides. Once real footy rules were established, not so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back