Think Tank 'Football’s Forgotten Years' - Respected former AFL commissioner COLIN CARTER launches his insightful book that looks to right the wrongs of this grea

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
t game we all know and love!

“For the past 100 years, since the mid-1920s, the AFL has celebrated 1897 as its starting year,” Carter said when launching the book in an MCC library packed with footy dignitaries, including AFL Commission chairman Richard Goyder. “That date is wrong. New research makes it very clear that our VFL founders, the VFL clubs and football media regarded 1870 as the first year.”

Launching the book, AFL chief executive Gil McLachlan said that the AFL had already gone as far as updating player records in the new season’s media guide. “Whether the competition records change is a discussion to be had,” he said, “but I acknowledge the contribution of the players, the clubs and administrators of the day on the development of our game.

1675203963980.png

Give 'em hell, Colin!

t game we all know and love!

View attachment 1598078

Give 'em hell, Colin!
We’ve known the score as well as everyone else for years. Can’t help it that other clubs are in denial and refuse to face facts about their minnow status’… ;)

Carter said he has met strong opposition to his crusade. “I’ve been accused of trying to rewrite history, or just add to Geelong’s premiership tally,” he said. “History was rewritten, but not by me.

“It’s time to reclaim the historical narrative of the game’s founding. The records are wrong and it’s time to put things right.

“The premiership list will change, club and player records will be expanded, the competition’s first 300-game player will change, and some will not welcome these changes.

“But … a true history of the game is far more important.”

19f546c5f5e8b0854c39b90438fca8c4.jpg

dog didnt read GIF by FirstAndMonday

Let the history books shine light on the truth.

View attachment 1598207

Yes, it's high time this was rectified, well done Colin.
And that table gives despondent Bloose and Bombres a reason to cheer up a bit.
I mean, it's not just the flags, it's the whole fabric of the game. Would these expansion flogs have anything at all without the sterling work of the original members?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, it's high time this was rectified, well done Colin.
And that table gives despondent Bloose and Bombres a reason to cheer up a bit.
I mean, it's not just the flags, it's the whole fabric of the game. Would these expansion flogs have anything at all without the sterling work of the original members?
Why do want false charity from a raving lunatic?

Colin Carter is the goat at thinking about Australian rules football. In Tasmania we consider him a supreme authority and an incredibly benevolent man. I keep two books beside my bed and read passages aloud to myself every night before I sleep: the bible and The Carter Report.

Leigh Matthews pathetic achievements:
+4 grand finals to hawforn.

Colin Carter's:
+7 grand finals to Geelong

+7 or get the flip out!

I wonder why the johnny-come-lately +0 Tiggies are getting worked up over this? This doesn't concern you or any of the other expansion minnows. This is a matter that is being discussed by FOUNDATION clubs, you know, the ones who actually have history that runs longer than five minutes.

Vacate. Now.

Let the history books shine light on the truth.

View attachment 1598207
If your going to include all of the Vic leagues, why not other state leagues too?

I demand Fremantle's 10 WAFA premierships be included from 1887-98. They were so good they got split into South & East so other teams could have a chance. I will allow both of those clubs WAFL flags to be added too, which would make 29 + 14 + 10 = 53 flags for Fremantle.

Thread title should have the prefix =

BEFORE TUGGER FLOGS BEGIN TO MELT.
Why would we melt over your clubs desperation to be relevant, laughter is what it raised from me.

We can also add 2 VFA flags to our count but it seems a bit desperate to want to add flags from a totally different competition just because in the current competition you have been spectacularly unsuccessful, should we also add reserves and under 19 flags to the total, why not AFLX as wello_O

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back