Think Tank 'Football’s Forgotten Years' - Respected former AFL commissioner COLIN CARTER launches his insightful book that looks to right the wrongs of this grea

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand this senile ****'s "reasoning", it goes like this.

1. "You forgot the VFA existed". We didn't. Collingwood is proud of its 1 VFA premiership, it was a nice start to our club's existence but we're more proud of 15 VFL/AFL flags. Nobody mentions the VFA flag much because our clubs don't play in that league: we left it.

2. "Geelong won premierships before there was a VFL". Plainly false, the Association did not award premierships until the 1890's. Geelong has 0 (zero) VFA premierships.

The flags Carter is trying to claim were just journalist's post hoc inventions. Be clear on this, there aren't any premierships for Carter to claim in the first place. They have been treated as legitimate as a merciful sop to an underperforming Geelong. Once there were flags to win, Geelong didn't win any.

Its OK, Geelong can pretend they won VFA flags because the 19th century versions of Blobbo and Caro said so, thats lovely even if its false. No one care because its not the Big League.

3. "Non VFA premierships do not count because they were played against non VFL sides" but many (perhaps most) of those VFA home and away wins Carter wants to magically transform into VFL premierships include a number of non VFL/AFL sides (eg in 1888 Hotham, Albert Park and West Melbourne were competing). This would disqualify them too under any rational thesis, but no, those wins are supposed somehow to count as Premierships.

There were several VFA grand finals where North and Richmond played one another, both were considered VFL standard (and well ahead of University for example), they were actual grand finals but somehow less "legitimate" because the VFL had already started? The mans a gibbering and inconsistent fool.

There is no case for non-league non-premierships to be recognised by the AFL. If there were any (and I don't agree there is), it would be Port's "champions of Australia" titles for example.

VFL/AFL flags: Geelong 10. It's a decent haul.

VFA flags: Geelong 0. You can pretend its 5, I honestly don't care because it's a minor league. Like I say, we won one, its not that big of a deal that you never did.

At least you were big back when there were two sides. Once real footy rules were established, not so much.
Great points. Care to expand a bit more?

1. "You forgot the VFA existed". We didn't. Collingwood is proud of its 1 VFA premiership, it was a nice start to our club's existence but we're more proud of 15 VFL/AFL flags. Nobody mentions the VFA flag much because our clubs don't play in that league: we left it.

2. "Geelong won premierships before there was a VFL". Plainly false, the Association did not award premierships until the 1890's. Geelong has 0 (zero) VFA premierships.

The flags Carter is trying to claim were just journalist's post hoc inventions. Be clear on this, there aren't any premierships for Carter to claim in the first place. They have been treated as legitimate as a merciful sop to an underperforming Geelong. Once there were flags to win, Geelong didn't win any.

Its OK, Geelong can pretend they won VFA flags because the 19th century versions of Blobbo and Caro said so, thats lovely even if its false. No one care because its not the Big League.

3. "Non VFA premierships do not count because they were played against non VFL sides" but many (perhaps most) of those VFA home and away wins Carter wants to magically transform into VFL premierships include a number of non VFL/AFL sides (eg in 1888 Hotham, Albert Park and West Melbourne were competing). This would disqualify them too under any rational thesis, but no, those wins are supposed somehow to count as Premierships.

There were several VFA grand finals where North and Richmond played one another, both were considered VFL standard (and well ahead of University for example), they were actual grand finals but somehow less "legitimate" because the VFL had already started? The mans a gibbering and inconsistent fool.

There is no case for non-league non-premierships to be recognised by the AFL. If there were any (and I don't agree there is), it would be Port's "champions of Australia" titles for example.

VFA flags: Geelong 0. You can pretend its 5, I honestly don't care because it's a minor league. Like I say, we won one, its not that big of a deal that you never did.

At least you were big back when there were two sides. Once real footy rules were established, not so much.

I shouldn't be surprised a Collingwood supporter has such a firm grip on the history of the league in the 19th century. The pre-TV and pre-colour TV eras are where Collingwood was fleetingly relevant.

Great points. Care to expand a bit more?

He already got me melting, so no. Need a cuppa and a sit down after frothing like that:$.

I shouldn't be surprised a Collingwood supporter has such a firm grip on the history of the league in the 19th century. The pre-TV and pre-colour TV eras are where Collingwood was fleetingly relevant.

Concession accepted. Let's leave poor old Colin in the home where he can get the care he needs.

The argument "Those aren't legitimate premierships, they were awarded by the media" just goes to show the Norm Smith is a pointless award, given it's also awarded by the media.

Sorry Pendles, sorry "Dusty" - your medals are worthless :(
Sometimes they get it right, but the name is s**t. Jock McHale won and lost more flags than anyone, GOAT coach.

Norm who? Not even as good as Barrassi.

Carlton will be looking to extend their lead over Essendon to 3 in the official Premiership race this September, aswell as to 7 over Collingwood and to a whopping 10 over Richmond who are all the way back at 13. Sad 😪.

Surely, Richmond's big 4 status must be questioned with this measly tally, with the Cats and Demons well ahead of them.

GO THE BLUE BAGGERS!

Last edited:
Carlton will be looking to extend their lead over Essendon to 3 in the official Premiership race this September, aswell as to 7 over Collingwood and to a whopping 10 over Richmond who are all the way back at 13. Sad 😪.

Surely, their big 4 status must be questioned with this measly tally, with the Cats and Demons well ahead of them.

GO THE BLUE BAGGERS!

GO GET EM COL CARTER !

GUp8vNuAeBPjdL2ojl36jsM8GYI=.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why so angry? Have you bothered to actually read his book? If I were you, I would get behind Colin's push, so that the Pies can finally get that elusive 16th premiership 👌

There's a reason they are the forgotten years.
The hardest years, the darkest years, the roarin' years, the fallen years.
These should not be forgotten years.

The Geelong Football Club has created a new award to recognise the exceptional voluntary service by two of our Club’s long-serving Directors, Colin Carter and Frank Costa.

Carter served as Club Director from 1988 to 1993 before joining the AFL Commission. Following Carter’s retirement from the Commission in 2008, he re-joined the Cats Board and then served a further term until his retirement as President in 2021.

Costa joined the Geelong Board in 1996 and was elected President in 1998 and remained President until the end of 2010 when he retired from the Board. He then went on to become the Club’s Patron.

Both Carter and Costa were able to celebrate Geelong AFL Premierships whilst they were Presidents of the Club.

The Carter Costa Award Criteria

The Carter / Costa Service Award is awarded annually to an individual in recognition of their exceptional service at Club or Community level within the Geelong region.

By demonstrating commitment to teamwork and for their outstanding personal values.

This Award seeks to recognise either an Employee or Volunteer at Club or Community level.
GC-2024-EXEC-Costa-Carter-Award-Medal_v1_1920x1080.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back