Player Watch Father-Son Pick #25 (2019) - Jackson Mead

Remove this Banner Ad

Listen to CD's presser from yesterday. It's disgraceful to be frank.
Is it? I thought it was quite measured.

Said that they're not at the level we need to actually make an impact on the team and win games that matter, and said it was up to them and the coaches to reset during the mid season break to figure out what needs to change to bring them up to the level required.

Also mentioned that our high half forwards - Butters, Mots & Gray all named needed to lift as well.

I don't see the issue? Unless you think they have been performing to the level required? Or is it that you want to make sure that Jonas & DBJ don't get forgotten from that list of underperformed?

Is it? I thought it was quite measured.

Said that they're not at the level we need to actually make an impact on the team and win games that matter, and said it was up to them and the coaches to reset during the mid season break to figure out what needs to change to bring them up to the level required.

Also mentioned that our high half forwards - Butters, Mots & Gray all named needed to lift as well.

I don't see the issue? Unless you think they have been performing to the level required? Or is it that you want to make sure that Jonas & DBJ don't get forgotten from that list of underperformed?
That's fine that you have no issue. I do. I don't like that they pick and choose their targets, especially young players. Our young players have stagnated or regressed and highlighting their form publicly when teflon Ken deserves 'respect' is absolutely infuriating.

I don’t like the hypocrisy of calling out some but not others. Having said that, Mead, Duursma and Bergman (injuries allowing) have been disappointing this year. I can see Mead being delisted at the first opportunity once his contract is up.

That's fine that you have no issue. I do. I don't like that they pick and choose their targets, especially young players. Our young players have stagnated or regressed and highlighting their form publicly when teflon Ken deserves 'respect' is absolutely infuriating.
Calling out Duursma after he won the medal in the Ebert memorial game is...questionable at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very neat and tidy player - has more speed than you think and he knows how to hit a target inside 50. Just needs to find more of the footy but I suspect that will come with experience.

Not convinced Drew and Mead can be carried in the same midfield at full strength given that they don't get enough of the ball. Can easily carry one, but two may be a stretch.

Very neat and tidy player - has more speed than you think and he knows how to hit a target inside 50. Just needs to find more of the footy but I suspect that will come with experience.

Not convinced Drew and Mead can be carried in the same midfield at full strength given that they don't get enough of the ball. Can easily carry one, but two may be a stretch.
Yeah his speed surprised me a couple of times after all the slow comments on here.

One of the mysteries to me is why Drew can’t find more of the ball.
Fact: he got a lot of it at junior level.
Fact: he got enough of it at SANFL level
Fact: his best quarter usually seems to be his last, so he’s almost certainly fit enough.

Is it all about him having too much of a defensive mindset at the moment so that he foregoes getting first to the ball?
Is it him taking a secondary role to Wines and Boak?
Is it just the natural process of him maturing and getting games?

Fact: his best quarter usually seems to be his last, so he’s almost certainly fit enough.

Is it all about him having too much of a defensive mindset at the moment so that he foregoes getting first to the ball?

I am unsure as well.
I dont think it is due to being a secondary option to Boak and Wines in midfield. We saw in 2020 when Rocky was the 3rd on baller (to Wines and Boak) that he was able to get 23 touches a game which given the 16 minute quarters was close to 29 disposals per game at full 20 minute quarters. Granted, Rozee is now the 3rd on baller but this is offset by Boak spending more time forward and Robbie Gray being used considerably less as a midfield pinch hitter this year compared to years past.

Take the Bulldogs for example. They can have Bontempelli, Macrae, Treloar, Liberatore and Dunkley going through the midfield and it is not uncommon to see them all get a minimum of 20 disposals each. I don't see why Drew cant at least elevate his disposal number to 22-23. He's not a player you can put out on the wing or play at half forward for considerable patches either, so he really needs to up his offensive output otherwise he will struggle to justify his spot as the likes of Butters and Mead in particular develop and warrant more time as on ballers.

I think he's in a tagging role more often than not.

18 touches a game for Drew is fine.

Weve got Wines, Boak, Rozee, Butters, Amon, Houston who all average well over 20 touches a game from the midfield group. If theres any more then id say we are faffing around with it too much.

Drew also doesnt really spread, hes stationed through the corridor more often than not as a direct option if it opens up, so hes naturally going to be used less in general play if we are playing the wings, as we do

18 touches a game for Drew is fine.

Weve got Wines, Boak, Rozee, Butters, Amon, Houston who all average well over 20 touches a game from the midfield group. If theres any more then id say we are faffing around with it too much.

Drew also doesnt really spread, hes stationed through the corridor more often than not as a direct option if it opens up, so hes naturally going to be used less in general play if we are playing the wings, as we do

Houston commented on SEN this morning that Drew pretty much gets a mention every week when they highlight their 'hidden heroes'.

Needs to add 5kg to translate his game to AFL. Has the talent to become a solid AFL player.

Sam Powell Pepper had 6 20+ disposal games and 3 25+, one of which was against the eventual premiers. He also had 8 clearances twice in his first season. Pocketed 16 goals too. But I also am excited by JHF.
I like Jackson Mead as a potential good to great player. I'm probably alone on this but imo there's something

about him bubbling away that just needs to be given a decent go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back