Player Watch Father-Son Pick #25 (2019) - Jackson Mead

Remove this Banner Ad

29 disposals, 8 clearances and 6 tackles this week.
RD-16-V-Glenelg-HOME-43.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be played in the centre square if selected. No use trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.

And he needs to play with a harder edge when given the chance.

Hard midfield to crack and he just needs more consistency opportunities
He's just not good enough. No amount of opportunity is going to change that.

You can only have three centre square midfielders at a time. You have to rotate of course, but most teams run with a max of maybe four pure centre square midfielders who don't have an alternative position. Do you honestly think that Jackson Mead would be in the best four midfielders on any AFL club's list?

At ours he's probably seventh (behind Rozee, Butters, JHF, Wines, Drew, Narkle), maybe even eighth if Hugh Jackson overtakes him which he seems well on the way to doing. Houston and SPP both mostly play elsewhere but I'd have them in the middle over Mead too.

It's a shame he hasn't come on as a genuine forward flanker. His skills are great. But thats it. He's hit that tweener spot now where he's probably too good for SANFL but its doubtful he'll be good enough for AFL.

It's a shame he hasn't come on as a genuine forward flanker. His skills are great. But thats it. He's hit that tweener spot now where he's probably too good for SANFL but its doubtful he'll be good enough for AFL.
All about exposure

I see he's been mentioned as trade bait. Probably best for him and Port. He's not going to crack our midfield by patiently waiting, given it's youth, but there's plenty of clubs out there with s**t midfields he could be a reasonable option. We'd be lucky to jag a late 3rd for him, but I'd rather see him get a go elsewhere then delisted here and go play SANFL for some other club the rest of his career.

If he ain’t netting us a second rounder i would be keeping, surely Dumont, Bonner, Fantasia, Hayes, Teakle (?Clurey) and Jonas is a deep enough cut this year. 7 out.
Pretty sure Mead has 1 more year on contract Would delist and rerookie. then keep bonner for 1 more year as depth.

If he ain’t netting us a second rounder i would be keeping, surely Dumont, Bonner, Fantasia, Hayes, Teakle (?Clurey) and Jonas is a deep enough cut this year. 7 out.
No one is paying a second round pick for Mead. If he wasn't called Mead and played for a different club and we were asked to pay that, we'd rightly laugh in their faces. He's probably safe, due to those cuts, but he'd want to step up and show something at AFL level next year to last beyond that.

No one is paying a second round pick for Mead. If he wasn't called Mead and played for a different club and we were asked to pay that, we'd rightly laugh in their faces. He's probably safe, due to those cuts, but he'd want to step up and show something at AFL level next year to last beyond that.
100% 2nd would be overs, but I feel he is more valuable to us than a 3rd rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back