Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Appreciate what you have, because once lost it will be 20 more years of mediocrity to follow.
No one seems to be thinking that we have it in us to be in the same group as Geelong, Swans etc who may not climb the heights every year but are always in the mix going forward.

Drip feed from the Academy and F/s and good back office certainly a bonus but perhaps the whole 'bring the new ones in and teach them how to play the Brisbane way' and positive self image might be missing...

Certainly he should. Fagan is a misunderstood genius. Even Picasso occasionally produced s**t art. Just like an artist once gone his legacy and creation will be truly valued and missed.

Look at Adcock, Stone Littlejohn, Tapping once maligned on this forum. Since leaving they have even been spoken of as successors to Fagan.

Appreciate what you have, because once lost it will be 20 more years of mediocrity to follow.
If Fagan is a "misunderstood genius" then there must be plenty of pure "Polymaths" around..

Just because someone agrees with something they read doesn’t make them a media sheep.

It does when they are on record denigrating and disrespecting Kane Cornes' views and persona, but soon as Cornes spews a view that supports their narrative he is suddenly the guru of all gurus.

It does when they are on record denigrating and disrespecting Kane Cornes' views and persona, but soon as Cornes spews a view that supports their narrative he is suddenly the guru of all gurus.
Not sure who you are referring to but saying you agree with one thing he said doesn’t mean he’s the guru of all gurus. You’re exaggerating to make a point.

Not sure who you are referring to but saying you agree with one thing he said doesn’t mean he’s the guru of all gurus. You’re exaggerating to make a point.
Spoken in generalities. No specific poster/s. You're quite correct exaggerating to make a point. :) ;)

Can't remember the last one I watched.

Didn't we used to get a coaches review video on the Lions website early in the week? They should do something like that again

Those were the days.

Tough week this week, going down by 120 points. They really got us in the midfield. But next week will be different.

It’s the hope that kills you.

Those were the days.

Tough week this week, going down by 120 points. They really got us in the midfield. But next week will be different.

It’s the hope that kills you.

We’ll be back to this soon. Fagan has no idea. Adcock was the architect.

We’ll be back to this soon. Fagan has no idea. Adcock was the architect.

He took all his IP to Norf who are checks notes likely not going to win a game this year

He took all his IP to Norf who are checks notes likely not going to win a game this year

Yeah but north play with the Roy boys spirit

Based on the press conference, don't think there will be mass changes, but i think it is getting close (where it is obvious to all we cannot win) where he should be looking at giving some of the younger players some exposure. Tell them they have a block of games so they are not inhibited with their natural game and not worried about making a mistake.

The thing is we are probably winning a few of these matches against s**t teams, so those changes won't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know that?

Could the next coach not do what Chris Scott did succeeding Bomber Thompson or John Longmire succeeding Paul Roos or Luke Beveridge succeeding Brendan McCartney or how about Craig McCrae succeeding Nathan Buckley or Adam Kingsley succeeding Leon Cameron?

Why is the automatic assumption that whoever replaces Fagan will essentially be like Matthew Knights replacing Kevin Sheedy.

I don’t get this pedestal Fagan keeps getting put on as if whoever replaces him is literally on a hiding nothing despite people like yourself offering no sound rational why.

I'd like to think what Fagan meant when he said "What got us here will get us back to the top" broadly speaking meant the style of playing fast turnover based football and focusing on contested possession, that isn't going out of style any time soon, clearly there needs to be some tweaks. I also agree with Kane Cornes who gave Fagan a decent serving about that conference after the loss, it didn't make him look good.
I think he more so meant the club-wide attitude of all being in it together, learning and improving as a collective. I doubt it was in reference to any playing style or similar, and I'd be concerned if it was.

We do need to make changes but the comparison to 2020 is weird. We’re a very different team
He wasn't comparing the current team to the 2020 team. He was highlighting how many players from that team's best 22 are still in the current best 22. 15 players.

I don't believe we're a very different team. Yes there are some new players. Definitely an upgrade in talent. But we still play the same system. Have the same weaknesses and short comings.

But that wasn't his main point. It was how few younger players get a go in our team, and how few players outside our best 22 get run in our team, and how that's hurting us.

There was literally nothing new it that article, that hasn't already been mentioned here by many posters.

He wasn't comparing the current team to the 2020 team. He was highlighting how many players from that team's best 22 are still in the current best 22. 15 players.

I don't believe we're a very different team. Yes there are some new players. Definitely an upgrade in talent. But we still play the same system. Have the same weaknesses and short comings.

But that wasn't his main point. It was how few younger players get a go in our team, and how few players outside our best 22 get run in our team, and how that's hurting us.

There was literally nothing new it that article, that hasn't already been mentioned here by many posters.
No, I thought it was a bit of a disappointing, superficial take from Montagna. When I saw there was a video I was hoping for some match vision and a deeper dive into the strategy, but alas, not to be. He's better than that.

I haven't watched First Crack yet tho so maybe there is some of that elsewhere in the show.

What's this soft drink chat about?
anecdote from 2019 preseason i believe.

think it was when we had done a training camp in tasmania, after finishing up the players went to go get their post training refreshments and one of the junior players went to get a soft drink. hodge pulled the group aside and made an example of it by questioning when the players were going to take things seriously and commit to the lifestyle / sacrifices of being a professional athlete trying to get the best out of themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back