Dark Side of the Ring/Tales from the Territories (On SBS)

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the producers, if she agreed to be interviewed it would have been a 2 hour episode.

I guess why produce the episode under the pretence that it's "& Tammy".

If you'd just done a doco focusing on Candido (and saying that it focused on Candido), the lack of access to Sunny means I don't think it would've looked a lot different.

Vice are pretty reputable, they're not usually supporters of clickbait or anything - but the cynic in me wonders whether "& Tammy" was included purely because Sunny is a much bigger name than Candido, and because Sunny's legal issues over the last few years made her a compelling subject despite them only glossing over them.

He really was being pushed. His I quit match against Tully is a classic.

Really is a big if, would Luger have been world champion? Would Sting have been the force? Would Hogan have signed with WCW if he was going to be second fiddle to Magnum?

All that stuff likely still happens.

TA said himself in the episode that he planned to have a few years as champion and get out by the time he was 30, which would have been within the next 3 years of his accident happening.

Luger and Sting went to JCP the following year, got the pushes they likely would have gotten regardless. Hogan is a whole other era later, really.

The only thing I see changing is Ronnie Garvin not winning the belt in 87. Flair had it all that time outside of his tiny run anyway, so it would have just been 87-89 of Flair vs TA anyway, instead of just Flair and a small Garvin reign.

Growing up and not getting to watch NWA wrestling, my cousin and I followed these guys via the magazines, TA was definitely the next guy (in what really is a traditional heel title holding area) but it's interesting to hear his attitude towards it - it was just a money maker and he wasn't a career wrestler. Still a sad "what might have been" story and even sadder that his quality of life changed forever, but otherwise it's not a huge big if in terms of the industry as a whole. I think they exaggerate the comparison to Hulk Hogan in the 80s quite a bit, but that's story telling, which the wrestling business is all about.

All that stuff likely still happens.

TA said himself in the episode that he planned to have a few years as champion and get out by the time he was 30, which would have been within the next 3 years of his accident happening.

Luger and Sting went to JCP the following year, got the pushes they likely would have gotten regardless. Hogan is a whole other era later, really.

The only thing I see changing is Ronnie Garvin not winning the belt in 87. Flair had it all that time outside of his tiny run anyway, so it would have just been 87-89 of Flair vs TA anyway, instead of just Flair and a small Garvin reign.

Growing up and not getting to watch NWA wrestling, my cousin and I followed these guys via the magazines, TA was definitely the next guy (in what really is a traditional heel title holding area) but it's interesting to hear his attitude towards it - it was just a money maker and he wasn't a career wrestler. Still a sad "what might have been" story and even sadder that his quality of life changed forever, but otherwise it's not a huge big if in terms of the industry as a whole. I think they exaggerate the comparison to Hulk Hogan in the 80s quite a bit, but that's story telling, which the wrestling business is all about.

I could see WCW throwing more money at him, making it harder for him to retire, agree with the Garvin run. Nikita would still have been heel, over being made a face. It really is a big what if though.

I could see WCW throwing more money at him, making it harder for him to retire, agree with the Garvin run. Nikita would still have been heel, over being made a face. It really is a big what if though.

Nikita had a pretty limited shelf life anyway. Mid 80s Russian gimmick fizzles when the Cold War ends. He really just meandered into obscurity after his run with TA.

Sure, a big what if for TA, he could have always changed his mind, but I think the industry as a whole still remains largely the same. Mismanagement more than anything for JCP and then WCW despite the Bischoff boom period. Just my opinion though!

this week!

That original Matt Borne Doink was such an incredible character. It could've been anything if not for Borne's issues, and it surprises me that (apart from the immediate imposters) WWE haven't tried to run it back in 30 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good news for Vice.

next week...

I saw Junkyard Dog vs. "Special Delivery" Jones at Festival Hall when I was little. Junkyard did his gimmick of picking kids out of the audience to dance after a win, he picked my sister.

I still got very grainy Kodak photos from there!
I imagine my dad still has the program in his garage. Hopefully the "Rowdy" Roddy Piper baseball cap we bought too.

i remember when he first started in WWF, dressed as a biker in leather and bondage chains and a hat that looked like a gimp mask. Than he started to dress in dresses, that great grandmothers were wearing from the 60’s. Me in my young and naive brain “He’s weird” Me in my adult yet juvenile brain, “he’s into some heavy duty kinky crap”

Saw the Bam Bam ep. Obviously another guy that had a crippling drug addiction. Feel sorry for his kids.

As for his career, to be an upstart, to quickly tagging with Hogan in WWF, then working in Japan with Inoki, then main eventing Mania, then ECW champ, then working in WCW. Pretty cool journey.

Saw the Bam Bam ep. Obviously another guy that had a crippling drug addiction. Feel sorry for his kids.

As for his career, to be an upstart, to quickly tagging with Hogan in WWF, then working in Japan with Inoki, then main eventing Mania, then ECW champ, then working in WCW. Pretty cool journey.

He was very unique at the time. I know that his WM main event match against Lawrence Taylor gets slammed, I thought he did a very good job in making him look good.

He was very unique at the time. I know that his WM main event match against Lawrence Taylor gets slammed, I thought he did a very good job in making him look good.
Think it only gets slammed as should not have been main event (then again Diesel v Shawn sucked as much as a match can that involves Michaels so couldn't win here really). It was better than it should have been as a match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back