Roast Cripps - time to go

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't there rumours of him wanted by the Saints earlier in the year?
Did we beg him to stay like we did Ken?

Lol Port
Looking at the trade we just did, I think he indeed went to the Saints...

And the incongruity between some of our moves has been frustrating. We’ve alternated between almost there in 2014, to going all in in 2016/17, before rebuilding in 2019. We’ve traded in like we are in the premiership window and traded out like we are rebuilding.
That nicely and succinctly sums up what we have done and why the club doesn't appear to know what it's doing and sounds like bullshit when they try and explain things.

The bloke is stuffing up our list. Agreeing to long term contracts to flaky players, and trading out our talls at any opportunity.

Brings in flaky Motlop and Watts, who are overpaid and under deliver, and injury prone Rockliff, delivered more than the other 2 but not enough and still overpaid.

Has traded out our core 24-27 year olds, so we have a big hole in our list between 23 and younger and 28 and over.

At the end of 2021 we wont have Westhoff, Boak, Robbie, Ebo, Broadbent, Hartlett, Paddy, Charlie, Rockliff, Jonas, Motlop, Watts, S Gray and McKenzie.

Who is going to replace these guys with similar output?? Our next premiership window now looks like 2025.

In 1 trade period, it sees the removal of 3 x 198cm+ players. Recruit 3 in the draft and you know they are 4 or 5 years away from being regular players. Ok Paddy's time was up and didn't want a one year deal, but we now have reduced our KPF depth as defined by the club/Ken Howard and Frampton in one trade period and our KPD depth, Howard according to us fans.

Since 2014 - Paddy 1 great year out of 5 - break even
2015 - Dixon 1 very good year out of 4 - break even. Toumpas a bust
2016 - concentrated on draft picks
2017 - Motlop, Watts and Rockliff discussed above, Trengove and McKenzie fair depth, Thomas a bust
2018 - Mayes what was the point? Hinkley wont give him a go. Lycett a good get but Hinkley drops him because Scott challenges him. Didn't have to give Pittard away for nothing.

A really really poor CV of trades

Paddy was a perfect fit except for the dope ban and subsequent injuries. We should have seen the injuries issue coming though, as that's what happens when a ruck is over used.

The motlop, watts and rockcliff was a complete bust. We thought we were close to a premiership but in reality we were years away. Worse, two out of three are soft as butter and destroy positive culture.

The depth players are lucky to be called that.

I feel Frampton could be a surprise talent if given an opportunity. He'll be a late bloomer but 2021 could be a start to a decent three or four year career. Howard on the other hand is a known talent with upside. Trading Howard isn't the worst idea but trading him for the picks we did is.

We are not only in rebuild mode but we are lost. How can we keep so many 30+ year olds and trade out guys coming into their prime? God help our next coach picking up such a s**t list.

The Howard move is just another straw on the back but I'm seriously doubting my ability to continue supporting Port while Ken is in charge; 2011/12 was a walk in the park compared to this.

When this current administration of the club, coaches and list managers included, are done and dusted with Port Adelaide, the Primus years are going to look like a golden era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly there's no plan right now, no method at all.

This is what grinds my gears the most.

We can be s**t, and tolerate that knowing that we're genuinely rebuilding whilst having a dead set crack.

We're just treading water now though with some scatter gun approach...

I don't blame Cripps, because as a whole I think he's done his job quite well. But what he's armed our list with has been not utilised as it should have at all which we all know.

It's not as though he's gone rogue this week with his moves.

The club as a whole, from top to bottom, can get ****ed until it's fixed.

I don’t have much issue with Cripps. I see him as acting on instruction. The person responsible for the divergent strategies between list manager and coach needs to be accountable but even they may be hamstrung by Ken’s contract.

I don’t have much issue with Cripps. I see him as acting on instruction. The person responsible for the divergent strategies between list manager and coach needs to be accountable but even they may be hamstrung by Ken’s contract.
Obviously instruction from Parker who wants draft picks for someone he is after.

With a few young ones drafted in, perhaps a delisted more mature player or two we are supposed to improve lol.
Oh I forgot Motlop needs to earn his money for once, Watts has to come back firing from a nasty injury and a Dixon needs to sort his s**t out.
This is obviously the plan.

How yhe fu** do we have cap issues???
We don't. We save money and roll over contracts to the next years because we have underspends and have to report a profit for Koch to make BS - Big Statements.

Howard being traded because Westhoff taking his spot down back is incredible. Literally the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

What the club needs to do is come out and say what this is - a rebuild.

To trade out Wingard, Polec & Howard, to a lesser extent Frampton and with potentially SPP to come tomorrow....surely discussions internally must have been held to say "hey, this group isn't going to win the flag, what do we need to do to fasttrack for the next tilt at a flag".

If this is the case, then I can see the validity in what they are doing, as much as it sucks and as much as it leaves us in a terrible position in the short term.

It’s not even a legit rebuild though, we’re shifting our younger players in preference of retaining the old.

I can handle the club clearly indicating a rebuild by moving on 28+ year olds but we’re doing the opposite.

It’s honestly baffling how moronic it is

Haha we have gone from the Summer of George to the Winter of Cripps.
List management is as bipolar as our team performance.
Have you watched our 2018 season? It has broken our souls, but nothing has been made to heal them.

After the Summer, has come the Fall. Now, it is Winter. It is only natural.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back