Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

It allows us to directly compare Port Adelaide to Sydney, specifically team to opponent differential, which illustrates any strengths or weaknesses in our gameplan compared to the Swans - who most would say are travelling pretty well. Our gameplan is what this thread is bitching about, because everyone would admit that we have an issue with goal kicking accuracy.

This is how much better (or worse) we are than Sydney.

Positive stats:

Kicks per game: +26.1
Handballs per game: -2.6
Disposals per game: +23.6
Inside 50s per game: +14.3
Meters gained per game: +281.1
Clangers per game: -2 (2 less clangers per game)
Turnovers per game: -2.4 (2.4 less turnovers per game)
Contested possessions per game: +4.2
Uncontested possessions per game: +17.1
Possessions per game: +21.3
Intercept possessions: +2.6
Ground Ball Gets: +6.9
Centre Clearances: +7.4
Total Clearances: +4.9
Marks: +19.9
Contested Marks: +6.8
Marks Inside 50: +5.9
Intercept Marks: +5.1
Goals: +1.8
Behinds: +3.5
Shots: +8.2
Goal Assists: +0.3
Score Involvements: +5.5
Score Launches: +8.1
Tackles: +2.3
Tackles Inside 50: +4.2
Hitouts to Advantage: +1.9

Negative stats:

Rebound 50s: -11.1 (who ******* cares)
Stoppage Clearances: -2.5 (influence of Grundy)
Marks on Lead: +2.1 (what this thread is bitching about, yes?)
Pressure Acts: -6.3 (I find this amusing)
Spoils: -11.3 (not enough intercept marking talent)
Hitouts: -6.1 (Grundy again)

I understand the data - but you’re ignoring my main point.

It’s only 4 rounds. Therefore can’t put too much weight on it at this point.

Transposed set shots from the Xscore graphs onto this graph so you can get an accurate representation of where we are taking shots from.

1712808784561.png

I didn't go through and read the entire thread but Janus is saying that our gameplan is awesome after 4 games of data because we have excellent scoring stats?

It's been a long time since Psychology 101 where you were made to do statistics in first year but surely there are more variables at play and the most obvious being the talent of the team.

Port vs Melbourne:

66 inside 50s, 19.7% inside 50 to goal conversion rate

Brisbane vs Melbourne:

58 inside 50s, 20.7% inside 50 to goal conversion rate

If you want to know what 1% difference is - if Brisbane had 66 entries, they would have scored 93 points to our 89. Conversely, if we had 58 inside 50s instead of 66, we would have scored 80 points instead of 89.

Reading Henry talk about how Rahilly has improved the Cats i50 method in the rag this morning. He sounds like exactly what we need.

“We’ve learned so much having James Rahilly back coaching us. Us forwards have been the beneficiary of some of the philosophies he’s brought in,” the 51-gamer said.

“It brings everyone into the game and the way we’re playing and you see some of the talents come out"

I wonder if he wants to be a senior coach eventually?

If not I'd be interested in getting an ex premiership cat forward who has learnt under his system as a forward coach in the future. Not sure who would fit that bill. I doubt Hawkins will leave Geelong.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Reading Henry talk about how Rahilly has improved the Cats i50 method in the rag this morning. He sounds like exactly what we need.

“We’ve learned so much having James Rahilly back coaching us. Us forwards have been the beneficiary of some of the philosophies he’s brought in,” the 51-gamer said.

“It brings everyone into the game and the way we’re playing and you see some of the talents come out"

I wonder if he wants to be a senior coach eventually?

If not I'd be interested in getting an ex premiership cat forward who has learnt under his system as a forward coach in the future. Not sure who would fit that bill. I doubt Hawkins will leave Geelong.

Rahilly was at the Cats between 2011 and 2020 seasons in various roles, including last 3 or 4 as forwards coach.

Then became crows forward coach between 2021 and 2023 seasons, and last year the crows with benefit of playing WCE twice and smashing them, crows were the highest scoring team at end of minor round, after two years of finishing 14th highest.

Rahilly was at the Cats between 2011 and 2020 seasons in various roles, including last 3 or 4 as forwards coach.

Then became crows forward coach between 2021 and 2023 seasons, and last year the crows with benefit of playing WCE twice and smashing them, crows were the highest scoring team at end of minor round, after two years of finishing 14th highest.
Yeah I was mostly thinking of his work last year with the Crows and this year with Geelong. He seems to be a good operator and create less predictable forward lines.

Last edited:
17 I50s to Freos 8 in the 1st qtr.

We bomb it to Charlie he isnt fit enough to compete against Pearce and they rebound it.

We kick to Georgi or Marshall in space, we kick goals.

Not that I'm sticking up for Hinkleyball or anything but what else did you expect from a Freo game?

They always try to grind the game to a halt with an extra behind the ball and insane ground pressure. Hardly gives our forwards a great look at it.

Not that I'm sticking up for Hinkleyball or anything but what else did you expect from a Freo game?

They always try to grind the game to a halt with an extra behind the ball and insane ground pressure. Hardly gives our forwards a great look at it.
We need to find a way against good defenses. And it doesn't involve doing the same thing over and over.

We need to have a more dynamic forward line.

The most annoying thing about last night was we actually showed signs of doing it earlier. Hitting up Georgie and Marshall on the lead. Varying our i50s a little.

Then we just reverted to form, even when Charlie was getting a bath.

Just because it is hard against Freo doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

It was a perfect test and whilst we won the game we failed on the i50 into goals portion against a good defensive team again..

Write it off if you want, but come finals it will once again be the difference if we don't fix it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also what is with the positioning of Charlie Dixon?

He was getting slaughtered by Pearce and not once did he try and drag him back to the goal square or up the ground.

Every centre bounce he was smack bang in the middle of the 50 leaving Pearce in the perfect position to help out with every attack.

Charlie should have been on the goal line either dragging Pearce back or getting a mismatch if Pearce didn't follow.

For all the complaints about our inability to convert inside 50’s to score, we are still the second highest scoring team in the league and have the second highest percentage. Some minor tweaks is all that’s required. More movement from our talls.

Unfortunately Ken has his obstinate gameplan set and he will fit his square pegs into round holes and see how it goes.

Kenny Average is literally the exact opposite of a coach like Bill Belichick who would fashion his team especially his defence based on the specific strengths of his players and the weaknesses of the opposition every single week. Belichick would pour over tape to find the smallest of advantages and be very fluid with set ups.

I mean, watching Pearce and especially Luke Ryan this week was a masterclass in Justin Longmuir knowing what was coming.

Another test for our inside 50s this week with Moore.

The Collingwood defence seems very thin without Murphy so a smart coach would work on moving Moore and capitalising on the rest. Try and drag him back to the square (hard to do), play through his man on the lead (no brainer), switch around him, provides blocks.

A dumb coach will have them kicking it down Moores throat all day.

i watched DBJ Saturday trot over from centre half forward and and sit in the free space where the forwards should lead to. Literally just jogged over and clogged up all the space. Has to be a coaching direction. Surely as an ex Backman he knows where he shuold be going.

Put this in the Freo game review thread but belongs in here to go with the other 4 I posted.

#AFLPowerFreo Final xScores:
PORT 65 from expected 76.7 (+1 rushed)
FRE 59 from expected 61.0 (+4 rushed)

1713423084549.png

Last edited:
I dont know why I remembered the following this morning, but in the last 2 or 3 seasons Choco was coach, he a few times when questioned about his game plan, would say, yes we dont get it inside 50 often enough, but when we do we are very efficient.

The days of a poor mid field group and having Motlop and Ebert as our main targets in the forward line.

180 degree opposite for nearly all of Ken's 11.25 seasons.

This morning I clicked on the AFL app to see what games are on today and as I passed the North v crows game, I thought how many of North's opponents have kicked over 120 pts as I was pretty sure every game they have conceded at least 100 pts.

It got me thinking, will our inefficient forward half game style and poor conversion mean we wont match the other teams when we play North and get to 120pts??

Here is what teams have been able to score against North's inexperienced and poor KPD defence.

Rd 1 V GWS in Sydney GWS 60 x I50 17.19 = 121, 40 scores from 37 shots v North 13.4 = 82 46 x 150 lose by 39pts
Rd 2 v Freo at Docklands Freo 45 x I50 15.12 = 102, 27 scores from 27 shots v North 11.10 = 76 57 x 150 lose by 26pts
Rd 3 v Carl at Docklands Carl 62 x I50 21.11 = 137 32 scores from 34 shots v North 12.9 = 81 51 x 150 lose by 56pts
Rd 4 v Bris at Norwood Bris 71 x I50 16.16 = 112 32 scores from 39 shots v North 6.6 = 42 32 x 150 lose by 70pts
Rd 5 v Gee at Kardinia P Gee 60 x I50 21.13= 139 34 scores from 36 shots v North 10.4= 64 45 x 150 lose by 75pts
Rd 6 v Haw at Docklands Haw 63 x I50 17.11= 113 28 scores from 32 shots v North 10.8= 68 52 x 150 lose by 45pts
Rd 7 v Adel in Hobart.... Adel 60 x I50 20.18= 138 38 scores from 37 shots v North 12.9= 81 41 x 150 lose by 57pts

I can see us kicking 14.16 getting the bare 100 pts and winning by about 25 pts in Rd 11 game and Hinkley being well satisfied that we got the 4 pts. If typical Hobart windy, wet weather sets in for the majority of the game then it might be 50 inside 50's for 10.19 type score.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back